Bubbles on the floor (GC 6000

Eber123

Eber123

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

During the holiday on the continent some issues came up with our camper, which none of them had impacted on our tour:
  • Some cracks in the window in the sliding door
  • A short strip of the Silicon in the wetroom came off
  • Bubbles on the floor
My VW dealer sorted out the window and the wetroom (haven't seen it yet, but normally he does a good work).

The problem, as I was afraid of, are the bubbles on the floor. Those bubbles can be seen (but difficult to take pictures) and if you walk over it, it feels like walking on a sponge.

Volkswagen is aware that sometimes those bubbles can appear on the floor. So they prepared a work instructions for the VW repair shops.

I hope I could collected my camper yesterday, but when I called the VW dealer I've been told that they followed those instruction's, but it has not turned out well. At the moment they are in contact with Volkswagen (whether with Germany or Ireland I don't know) to ask for more advice.

I am a wee bit nervous how the floor looks after the repair attempt. In the worst case scenario the entire floor board has to be exchanged. If I want that I don't know. Because at least the back bench and the entire kitchen area has to be taken out and God knows what else. When they fit everything back, will it be as well as it was before? I doubt that.

It is annoying, in the best case szenario I will get the camper back at the end of the week, if more work needs to be done it might be even far longer.

I was wondering if anybody else with a Grand California made the same experience and if yes, how was it sorted?

A wee bit sick Grand California
Eberhard

Hello,

So, I got my camper back.

From Volkswagen recommended repair to get rid of the bubbles were done 3x times.

Underneath the bubbles the board was "spongy", which improved after the repair, but the bubble is still there. We discussed this and we all agreed that a further repair attempt won't change the situation.

We will monitor this. If it stays like this, ok, If it gets worse we (VW dealer, VW Ireland and me) will talk about it to see if we can find a better solution.

It would be interesting if you came agross a similiar issue on your Grand California and what was the solution for it (if there was a solution).

Have I said that the other repaires, replacment of the window in the sliding door, Silicon in the wet room was fixed very well.

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

So, I got my camper back.

From Volkswagen recommended repair to get rid of the bubbles were done 3x times.

Underneath the bubbles the board was "spongy", which improved after the repair, but the bubble is still there. We discussed this and we all agreed that a further repair attempt won't change the situation.

We will monitor this. If it stays like this, ok, If it gets worse we (VW dealer, VW Ireland and me) will talk about it to see if we can find a better solution.

It would be interesting if you came agross a similiar issue on your Grand California and what was the solution for it (if there was a solution).

Have I said that the other repaires, replacment of the window in the sliding door, Silicon in the wet room was fixed very well.

Regards,
Eberhard
Have VW confirmed the , I presume wooden flooring under the floor covering is not wet? Due to water tracking from wet room or elsewhere?

Hello @WelshGas

No, they haven't.

I must admit I didn't expect them to do that. Because to rule out any water under the floor or in the floorboard they had to do far more, intruding, checks. Thinking about it, I don't want to be done.

I checked Caliboard and it seems that the "bubbles" on the floor are known (well, obviously because Volkswagen has a repair instruction for that) and owners who have problems with this confirmed it is very difficult to get rid off.

Also during the repair I asked them to check the wetroom and fix the Silicon on various edges.

I believe the bubbles are not coming from water, simply the glue stopped sticking. If it gets worse we have to think about this. The only complete repair is to change the floorboard. For this the kitchen and God knows what else need to be taken out. The chance that they get everything back properly is slim. And then what?

I have another almost 2 years warranty on the camper. Also the issue was logged in the vehicles database and I followed it up with emails. If hope that is sufficient to talk to Volkswagen.

A wee bit sad Grand California
Eberhard

Back