Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LTE setup in GC 600

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

Since a while I planned to get a good LTE reception into the camper. We wanted that to be able to do some work while we are out and about, be in contact with family, trip planning and of course entertainment.

For a while we had a Netgear AC 810, which was not bad, but the reception was just a wee bit better as with the mobile phone. In my logic I thought it is important to have the aerial outside of the camper in order to get the best reception.

I looked for 13x months to find somebody in ROI who has experience with Grand Californias and was able and willing to install the new setup. After I found the workshop I ordered following parts:
  • Poynting Mimo-3-V2-17
  • Teltonika RUTX12
In the best case scenario the aerial never will be changed. Because of this I wanted to get the best possible. It has more functions that I need at the moment, but maybe the needs change in the future. Also the same with the router. But this is easier, because the router can be changed quicker and easier.

Looking into this I found a "LTE Aerial / router bundle" from a dutch company, which I ordered. The setup was installed last week. I did some tests this morning. I did a test with Speedtest.net with the camper LTE setup and with the home setup (also LTE no cable). Aerial on the roof and a normal router from Three.

Camper setup: 63.1 Mbps down --- 29.4 Mbps down
House setup: 41.5 Mbps down --- 27.5 Mbps down

Obviously the camper is parked just beside the house and the aerial for the home setup is up high on the roof. I am rather pleased with the reception. Further checks will be done when I am out and about. For example with the Netgear router in Donadea Forest park the reception is weak, so I can't wait to see what the reception is with the new setup.

Regards,
Eberhard

Back