Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bubbling and rust at front roof

Chico

Chico

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi , i have a 2017 Cali which has bubbling and rust at the font of the elevating roof , the section that runs along the top of the windscreen . Can i replace the whole section length , if so where and where do i buy the section . OR does it require sanding filling and spraying in a bodyshop ?

That’s the famous “Roof Corrosion”. Something that exited since 2004 without Vw changing the design that’s the root to the problem. Congratulations. Look it up in the search function..,
Vw have done countless warranty repairs during the years. They used different methods/strategies...the last one as far as I know, is just put a new panel/section over the old and rusty and pretend the problem doesn’t exist...

Hi , i have a 2017 Cali which has bubbling and rust at the font of the elevating roof , the section that runs along the top of the windscreen . Can i replace the whole section length , if so where and where do i buy the section . OR does it require sanding filling and spraying in a bodyshop ?
In other words what you need to do is get it back to the VW dealer and they will get it sorted for you...I would take a look under the roof seal as well because if you have corrosion at the front it likely you have it under the seal on the main roof..Also will be done under warranty...

Which vehicle have you actually got?
Your Avatar says a T5 SE 140, you have said you have a 2017 Vehicle which means you have a T6 with Adblue for emissions and one of your earlier posts said you have a 2007 vehicle.
The year of your vehicle makes a big difference as to what you should do.
2017 back to VW Dealership.
2007, then you are outside the extended VW warranty period for this problem.
To replace the roof section above the windscreen costs at least £4000 parts and labour, the original VW repair. About £2000 for the later type repair of treating the corrosion and fitting a colour coded plastic cap.
Or, a good Independant body shop that know how to treat and repaint aluminium at a cost of about £500, but it could return in 5-10 yrs.

This problem is Not Rust, but Galvanic Corrosion due to steel and aluminium chemical reaction. It is cosmetic Not structural.

Assume you mean a 2007 looking at your avatar?
If all else fails and you need a half decent repair shop to do it, i hear Claridges in Southport are pretty good, however they are backed up with work doing them....

If its a 2007 and its white and if it was mine and the panel is badly hit
with the rot, then i would get it rubbed down and primed then wrap it
black and also the complete roof in black.

Whatever you do don't have the vw plastic cap fix.

Back