Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buckled roof

georgemojo

georgemojo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
It was all going too well .... Put up the electric roof this evening - half way up heard a loud bang, got out and saw the roof was at a slant - by the time I got it down again, the front hydraulic nearside arm had twisted and the left side of the roof had buckled near the front. The only problem I've had with the roof before was the corrosion which was fixed at a VW assigned bodyshop just over a year ago. Happy Sunday :(Untitled.jpeg

Can't quite follow , what do you mean by "at a slant " ?
This must have happend lowering the roof ?

Gutted for you @georgemojo
Thanks for posting this tragic moment though, there is something to be learned by all if anyone gets the awful bang.

Breathe deep, and seek the fix. :(

that look's expensive.

Sorry to see that, I hope you can get it sorted at a reasonable cost. Maybe if something was installed wrong during the repair you may be able to get some recompense from VW.

I take it the hydraulics failed on one side?

Sorry to see that, I hope you can get it sorted at a reasonable cost. Maybe if something was installed wrong during the repair you may be able to get some recompense from VW.

I take it the hydraulics failed on one side?
Not sure if it is hydraulic or not. There is the word 'Cable' in the overhead instrument panel. Off to the dealers today - although not expecting a quick fix.

Thanks Martin ... still waiting for Carrs in Exeter to give me an estimate for roof repair and what actually failed in the roof mechanism. Their roof technician / expert is not around until June 20th. So I have a nervous wait until then - although not being able to use my beloved Cali is more galling. I like the suggestion of the Dent Doctor though :thumb

Thanks Martin ... still waiting for Carrs in Exeter to give me an estimate for roof repair and what actually failed in the roof mechanism. Their roof technician / expert is not around until June 20th. So I have a nervous wait until then - although not being able to use my beloved Cali is more galling. I like the suggestion of the Dent Doctor though :thumb
I hope they are not getting Sowton body repairs to repair the bodywork for you?

They are one's who did the original roof corrosion repair 18 months ago o_O.

did you get your roof repaired in the end?