Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Anyone know when the Shop will open again?

H

Haze

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi

I would like to buy one of those roof bungees by next weekend (we've hired a California for a month and I am a bit scared of ripping the canvas). I did see it in the shop last week - but over the last few days the shop just says its 'coming soon', I get the same page in 'contact us' so just wondered if anyone knows when this is back online - or where else I could get that bungee.... Hopefully one day we'll buy our own Cali and I can then use it on that too!
Thanks.

Hi does anyone know why the for sale section is off / down is this not available any more??

Hi Haze, people may disagree with this statement but if it's a brand new Cali then I wouldn't worry too much. I've been renting one this year and with the new straps that pull the canvas in, I've never had a problem with the canvas coming anywhere near to getting caught. I would just keep an eye on it when lowering the roof :)

I wouldn't risk it. When we hired a beach before buying Gino the dealer had a huge excess on any roof canvas damage c£1500 from memory. I know they charge it if any damage is found because someone commented on the forum shortly afterwards that they had been charged. :(

I can understand this, and to be fair the bungee cost almost nothing compared to this, I was a little worried when I first rented the one I have (I've clocked up over 4000 miles in this rental one!!), but the newer straps do the same job as the bungee anyway and actually work very well :)

My 2015 Cali has been with us 2 weeks now. When I picked it up the salesman recommended adding bungees, the canvas does seem to move out of the way on its own but he said its a cheap way of ensuring it never gets caught.

Thanks all for your replies. I didn't realise the newer models have straps and older ones didn't. The one we've hired seems to - but the first time the roof was lowered the straps popped the wrong way at the front (outwards rather than inwards) and so it would have got caught if we weren't looking out for it. It's never happened since though. On a separate note, we've just noticed that the 4th arm of the bike rack (the one that locks) has completely rusted away around the threads and can no longer be tightened, so now need to try and source a new arm before next Friday - as part of the point of hiring the Cali was so we could take all 4 bikes to France. Other than that, we've had a great time over the last 2 weeks and love the van..

We have a bungee but on a recent months trip to Highlands and Outer Hebrides in inclement weather on one occasion we also found the strap bent out instead of in! We soon realised it is better to open the window rather than the whole door on the leeward side It was particularly gusty but it did make us think we need to purchase a wind speed meter!! It was forecast 50 to 60 mph gusts so we brought the roof down So glad as the van was being buffeted the whole night!
When we got home we were looking up details of how much wind the wind out awning can take and surprised to find Omnistor recommend winding in at Force 6 which sounds a lot but is actually only 25 to 31 mph

It's surely a question of common sense. If it's windy ensure the windows are open on the leeward side and get someone to look around when the roof goes down. If you have a bungee around the canvas, what effect will that have on water leeching in - don't know. But we've never felt we needed one. The roof is designed well enough to retract with the bellows mechanism - just take obvious precautions.

As a side issue, we stayed in Le Brasilia near Perpignan, with our Khyam driveaway attached, in gusts of 80kmh and torrential rain, and we were so impressed with the resilience of both the roof and the awning itself.

Back