Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Bungee question

Smiffy4bikes

Smiffy4bikes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Quick question, I fitted my roof bungee today, all ok, and I can see exactly why it is so essential.

However, how much ‘slack’ should there be? In other words, when you’ve tied it off in the little clip, how much cord should be left over?

Also, how often do you need to check it and perhaps tighten it?

Thanks!

Quick question, I fitted my roof bungee today, all ok, and I can see exactly why it is so essential.

However, how much ‘slack’ should there be? In other words, when you’ve tied it off in the little clip, how much cord should be left over?

Thanks!

I was told that you should be able to slip your hand easily underneath it when the bellows is up. It should not be too tight. I would not worry too much it strikes me as quite a loose elastic. There is a video somewhere on the site showing one fitted.

Thanks!
I commented on this in a another thread where there was concern about the bungee's degrading. I have tried to ensure mine is slack when the roof is closed so that it is not in tension the whole time, which is what will lead to it degrading quicker. So far this has provided me enough tension when roof is coming down.

I commented on this in a another thread where there was concern about the bungee's degrading. I have tried to ensure mine is slack when the roof is closed so that it is not in tension the whole time, which is what will lead to it degrading quicker. So far this has provided me enough tension when roof is coming down.

Good point about it not being too tight when closed. I’m fitting an internal topper tomorrow so wanted to make sure I had the right tension. I think I might slacken it off a bit having read these posts. Thank you!

As above. They will vary in length a little just make sure you can easily put your hand underneath it on the corners and don't worry too much about how much you have left sticking from outside the clip.

As above. They will vary in length a little just make sure you can easily put your hand underneath it on the corners and don't worry too much about how much you have left sticking from outside the clip.
But not too much sticking out as mine was fouling the roof seal so it had to be wound around a few times...

Hi Smiffy4bikes, I bought a Brandrup internal topper which I haven't fitted yet because the instructions say that the temperature needs to 18C or above and that happy event happens about 2 days a year around here! Would love to hear how you get on and any tips that you can pass on. best wishes, Alan

Hi Smiffy4bikes, I bought a Brandrup internal topper which I haven't fitted yet because the instructions say that the temperature needs to 18C or above and that happy event happens about 2 days a year around here! Would love to hear how you get on and any tips that you can pass on. best wishes, Alan

Hi Alan. Good luck with the Brandrup topper. There is a thread on the forum with more details, but our experience would suggest take your time, in fact allow lots of time! Be patient with the near indecipherable instructions. Believe the impossible, when it says push in to the gap, there is a gap, and you do have to push hard. And do wait for the warmer weather, the adhesive does need it. It was worth it though!

Thanks AnneMarie, I read the forum on installing the Brandrup liner and I am not filled with joy at the prospect of installing it! As to waiting for the warmer weather that begins (and ends) in June round here in my experience. I need to find a friend with a big enough garage to raise the roof in and then turn the heater on. Glad to hear you think it's worth it. A

As an update... The roof bungee has been loosened off very slightly, I can easily get my hand underneath it on the corners, and I've made sure the excess is wrapped around the tensioned bit at the back, so it doesn’t foul the roof seal. Thanks for all the advice everyone :thumb

The internal topper was pretty straightforward to fit. It was fairly cold when I fitted it but with the auxiliary heater on it was fine! I really noticed how the temperature ‘up-top’ improved once it was in place.

The instructions that came with it are very comprehensive, and easy to follow. I would however suggest you watch the youtube video a couple of times, as that makes it a lot clearer. If you’re a fairly practical person you will find it easy to fit, you just need to take your time to ensure a good fit. Take your time around the corners, and cut the velcro into small squares to go around the corners.

The only thing I struggled with was sticking the velcro on the shiny paint at the front of the roof opening, (I just didn’t want to stick anything on my nice new shiny paint!!) however, once its all in it looks very professional.

You do also need to wipe the surfaces clean before you stick the velcro down, the is a residue on the surfaces from the factory, which will prevent the velcro sticking.

Also, take care when you close the roof for the first time. I had followed the instructions and not zipped up the front opening above the front seats, so as to allow for air flow when closing. I rolled the flap up and used the velcro to secure it, but I think that made it too bunched up when I closed the roof. When the roof was shut it wasn’t closed properly above the drivers door (had a mild panic at that point) but I opened it again, un-rolled the flap and just folded it in the space. The roof then closed properly and looked fine, phew!

It does seem a bit loose on the sides, but that may just need a bit of fiddling and adjustment over time. We are going away for the night this weekend, so I shall report back on how we found it!

Last edited:
Hi Alan. Good luck with the Brandrup topper. There is a thread on the forum with more details, but our experience would suggest take your time, in fact allow lots of time! Be patient with the near indecipherable instructions. Believe the impossible, when it says push in to the gap, there is a gap, and you do have to push hard. And do wait for the warmer weather, the adhesive does need it. It was worth it though!
AnneMarie, Can I tap into your undoubted expertise once again before I try to fit the ISO-TOP liner. I can understand most of the instructions but when it comes to the 5 Velcro strips at the front I get a bit lost! Where on earth do they go? I can see the bar at the front top of the pop up roof but for the life of me I can't see that there's anyway that I can push a velcro strip under/round it and I'm a wee bit wary of pushing too hard with a spatula. Am just not trying hard enough or being a bit thick and trying to fit them in the wrong place?
Thanks, Alan

AnneMarie, Can I tap into your undoubted expertise once again before I try to fit the ISO-TOP liner. I can understand most of the instructions but when it comes to the 5 Velcro strips at the front I get a bit lost! Where on earth do they go? I can see the bar at the front top of the pop up roof but for the life of me I can't see that there's anyway that I can push a velcro strip under/round it and I'm a wee bit wary of pushing too hard with a spatula. Am just not trying hard enough or being a bit thick and trying to fit them in the wrong place?
Thanks, Alan

Hi Alan, I hope I have understood your question. The Velcro tabs really do just push into that gap. They are designed so that once in they can never be removed which I think explains the effort required. We were convinced we had gone wrong at that point, but we persevered after reading the other forum threads. And for extra reassurance it is the best purchase we ever made for our van.

Good luck!

Thanks again AnneMarie. The Brandrup Iso-top is now successfully fitted. Your (and other's) advice is much appreciated. In the end it was a lot more straightforward than I anticipated! You just have to take your time and I did a kind of dummy run just to try and work out where everything went. The hard bit was keeping the temperature above 18C and then waiting 48 hours after sticking the velcro tape. The velcro tabs pushed in just fine once I had confidence that it was just a matter of pushing them into that seam. Glad to hear that you are pleased with yours. The roof bungee makes a huge difference in safely lowering the roof doesn't it? Again, many thanks, A

Back