Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a 4motion

Well this is how I feel now :headbang I do not believe it the van that I was promised yesterday is now no longer available as it has gone to another dealership. The latest thing is after it took them a day to contact me is that they say that I have got first dibs on the next 2 vans that come in but if they are going to be as good as the last I do not know ?
This is now driving me up the wall but I guess I have no choice but to wait and see what they offer me.
I am starting to wonder if this is meant to happen as I am a believer in fate.

Are there other dealers you can try?

Sounds like you need to try to take control of the situation away from the dealer?

Hi yes there are.

And I have been in touch with a few but as you know not many 4motions around and at the right price and spec.

It now is starting to get a bit out of hand as the price just keeps going up as it does when you start looking for vans or things in general.

This all started of looking for a California 4motion t5 none around so looking at the t5.1 face lift, then before I knew it I am looking at t6s I would buy any of them if they are the right spec condition and price. But the latest couple I have been chasing have been t6s the bar has been raising higher and higher.

I am now starting to wonder if it is meant to be being a believer in fate I am just hoping that it all turns out for the best :)

What are peoples thoughts on the prices at the moment of second hand or demo Californias are they higher than normal what with the new ones not being released at the moment ?

Hate to say it, but have you had a look at my red one for sale on this site? I’m about to part-ex it if it doesn’t sell as my new van arrives next week. Red Ocean, 4motion, 204 DSG - less than 5k miles, 2017. Have a look if it sounds of interest. It comes with the 4 service pack and the extended VW warranty to 5 years and 80k. These can be transferred to a new private owner, but if it goes part-ex, these are lost forever. If you need full dealer services then that’s understandable, but if not...

Prices seem high to me, which is good if you already own one but the cost to change is the important thing. OK if you’re selling and don’t need a replacement.

I just used WEBUYERANYCAR.COM to get an idea of the value of ours; it’s only lost 23% since Nov 2014. But pointless selling because there’s nothing available to replace it with!

@swan have you checked WBAC offer against the dealer p/x offer? Bearing in mind you should a discount if no p/x from the dealer you’re buying off.

Hate to say it, but have you had a look at my red one for sale on this site? I’m about to part-ex it if it doesn’t sell as my new van arrives next week. Red Ocean, 4motion, 204 DSG - less than 5k miles, 2017. Have a look if it sounds of interest. It comes with the 4 service pack and the extended VW warranty to 5 years and 80k. These can be transferred to a new private owner, but if it goes part-ex, these are lost forever. If you need full dealer services then that’s understandable, but if not...

Hi it seems a great California it ticks a lot of the boxes but not mad on the idea of having a red one, it would have to be at such a knock down price that I could change the colour and I do not think that is where you want to be, and not sure if I would want to go through the hassel of changing the colour.
But I wish you good luck with your sale.

Prices are crazy but have been for years. What you are seeing isn't a blip. That's not to say it won't ever collapse, but it's taken years to get here.

I finally got accustomed to running about in a £30k 8 year old van but have just upgraded to a 6 month old one just shy of £50k which appears (can't believe I'm using these words) 'good value'!

I suspect @motacyclist 's van is worth much more than WBAC will offer. It's probably lost next to nothing as new prices have run away.

I was offered a good price from the dealer in part ex, but not good enough. I'll sell it here shortly - it's a good van but unfortunately not to your spec. The used dealers at the van centres have a £1.5K loading on the bought in price (for overheads, prep, some warranty) BEFORE they start to think about any profit margin.

My 'new' (ex VW Mgt) one is coming from Liverpool and they work on a straight price. The price of the new one is the same (to a penny) whether you part ex or not. I couldn't even get a pair of mats thrown in (and believe me I tried, including walking away for 3 days).

Being flexible on your spec will help. Lots of debate here about the merits of 4 wheel drive, but 90% of us manage without it.

Based on past performance, if you buy a used van well (and privately), you will loose very little if you trade up (again private) in 12 months.

Prices seem high to me, which is good if you already own one but the cost to change is the important thing. OK if you’re selling and don’t need a replacement.

I just used WEBUYERANYCAR.COM to get an idea of the value of ours; it’s only lost 23% since Nov 2014. But pointless selling because there’s nothing available to replace it with!

@swan have you checked WBAC offer against the dealer p/x offer? Bearing in mind you should a discount if no p/x from the dealer you’re buying off.

My local VW manager said the same to me for the reason I mentioned above.
So maybe it is better for me to wait till they get released

Thanks motacyclist. I have negotiated a nice discount on the new van given that I would sell the Cali privately, and if I had to part-ex the Cali I would have to settle for a trade price. With that in mind I hunted for quotes from dealers and the best I could find was £52.5k, so that’ll have to do. It just frustrates me a little that when the dealer has it the 4-service pack and extended warranty disappear down the tube, and what a waste of good money that is. Also, they will retail it at about £60k, so you’d think I would be able to sell it at £5k less with all the accessories and the service packs/warranty. But that’s the way it goes, I guess. FYI, WBAC were a little less than the dealers. All the best.

Top half wrap in white to make 2 tone? Only about £1250 for a v decent job?

I do not do red vans even if half and half not my thing.

Prices are crazy but have been for years. What you are seeing isn't a blip. That's not to say it won't ever collapse, but it's taken years to get here.

I finally got accustomed to running about in a £30k 8 year old van but have just upgraded to a 6 month old one just shy of £50k which appears (can't believe I'm using these words) 'good value'!

I suspect @motacyclist 's van is worth much more than WBAC will offer. It's probably lost next to nothing as new prices have run away.

I was offered a good price from the dealer in part ex, but not good enough. I'll sell it here shortly - it's a good van but unfortunately not to your spec. The used dealers at the van centres have a £1.5K loading on the bought in price (for overheads, prep, some warranty) BEFORE they start to think about any profit margin.

My 'new' (ex VW Mgt) one is coming from Liverpool and they work on a straight price. The price of the new one is the same (to a penny) whether you part ex or not. I couldn't even get a pair of mats thrown in (and believe me I tried, including walking away for 3 days).

Being flexible on your spec will help. Lots of debate here about the merits of 4 wheel drive, but 90% of us manage without it.

Based on past performance, if you buy a used van well (and privately), you will loose very little if you trade up (again private) in 12 months.

I have been trying to get a good deal and agreed on 3 but for one reason or another they have gone wrong.

I have had 2 t5s 1st front wheel drive second one what I still have is a 4motion love as I am bit of a fan of 4wd having had quattros and the places I like to go and fishing and that it does help

Not for me, I would have a red Ferrari though :thumb
Mind you you can get one for the price of a t6 but you would be hard pushed to go camping in it :D

Not for me, I would have a red Ferrari though :thumb
Mind you you can get one for the price of a t6 but you would be hard pushed to go camping in it :D
Ferrari do a California too! :thumb

Yes but they aren't 4wd so no good to him. Now called a Portofino.

I am looking to buy a T5 California SE 4motion or maybe a T6 California Ocean 4motion ?

What are the pros and cons apart from the emissions and cost of road tax ?
I bought a T6 150 4 motion Dsg with difflock and all season tyres to cope with muddy tracs around my home in the spanish countryside. Last Friday we were at Flaxpool near Taunton and the snowfall was between 8 to 12 inches. I dug out a small section of snow in front of the wheels to get from my pitch onto the service track. The cali made it 200 metres out of the site and onto the main road without drama. We then travelled to London via Taunton. The 4mo cali is very sure footed and coupled with the all season tyres, it will get you through most things providing you drive it properly. Yes they are more expensive and yes they cost more to run, but when you need them, they are worth every penny and more. I will be buying snow chains and a good quality snow shovel for our future adventures. Hope this helps.

I bought a T6 150 4 motion Dsg with difflock and all season tyres to cope with muddy tracs around my home in the spanish countryside. Last Friday we were at Flaxpool near Taunton and the snowfall was between 8 to 12 inches. I dug out a small section of snow in front of the wheels to get from my pitch onto the service track. The cali made it 200 metres out of the site and onto the main road without drama. We then travelled to London via Taunton. The 4mo cali is very sure footed and coupled with the all season tyres, it will get you through most things providing you drive it properly. Yes they are more expensive and yes they cost more to run, but when you need them, they are worth every penny and more. I will be buying snow chains and a good quality snow shovel for our future adventures. Hope this helps.

Hi Chris thanks, I have made my mind up I do want a 4motion its just that things have not been working out for me at the moment, but I am sure that it will in the end ;)

The manager called me Friday night and found me another one but wrong colour and spec, but he has got first dibs on another one, I am just waiting to get the spec sent to me next week.

I am hoping to meet up on the next meet with you lot on the with my van fingers crossed on the 16th - 18th March at Highlands End Campsite in Dorset

Yes they are more expensive and yes they cost more to run, but when you need them, they are worth every penny and more. I will be buying snow chains and a good quality snow shovel for our future adventures.
I have front wheel drive and summer tyres. I also have a set of €80 snow chains stashed under the driver's seat. In your opinion, would snow chains alone have been sufficient to get you onto the main road?

I know they are a lot of faff, but they are far cheaper than 4mo - which is not available on the UK Beach anyway.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Perhaps our 2014 manual 4motion with diff lock will start going up in value as manuals and 4motions don't appear to be available any more. A few years time it will be a modern classic.

Hi everybody, first post here. I currently own 6 VW Californias of varying spec combinations and have previously sold 2 (I hire them out). I really think the 4motion is a waste of time. Unless you have off road or snow tyres you are only marginally better off than a 2WD. I fact I have a theory that you are less likely to get stuck with a 2WD as you won't go where it is slippery. (fewer non swimmers drown as they don't go in the water and get in to trouble!) 4motion is uneconomical and I simply don't think they are as good to drive. I backed in to a little paddock next to my drive, slowly and carefully but all four wheels spun immediately on the wet grass. It is clearly made for on road performance and not off road.