Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Automatic vs manual?

E

Evelyn Lloyd

Hi there, we are looking to buy a California ocean, probably registered 2013-2015

Going to view one today, great spec but it is manual (I prefer manual but husband prefers automatic)

Would be interested to hear your views about relative pros and cons

Thank you

Biggest plus automatic is that in combination with cruise control long trips need no attention to gear changes up hills. If ACC (automatic cruise control) is fitted then that in conjunction with the gearbox keeps a safe distance from the vehicle in front, in town or on busy motorways etc.
Automatic isn't as good as a manual when manoeuvring in carparks especially on a hill in reverse.
Overall the auto suits a Cali as you can relax and enjoy the scenery more.
I'm in the 80% auto as the way to go camp.

There are loads of comments/views on this matter, have you looked using the search function? Type in DSG v Manual. This will provide lots of bedtime reading!
We are in the process of changing from DSG to Manual. You will soon find out that its a much discussed topic!

Only you can decide. It is down to your own preference and I would never buy on the choice of someone else. Try both if possible for a few days and then decide. You will not be disappointed either way.

As always your Husband is right :Grin
But enough of my pathetic attempt at sexist humour I can only say one thing.
A long term believer in manual myself I was an instant convert when I switched to auto in 2015 on an evoque with the previous evoque being manual and having driven a manual & a DSG Cali, the DSG suits the Cali very well.
No looking back for me.
Welcome to the forum.

As always your Husband is right :Grin
But enough of my pathetic attempt at sexist humour I can only say one thing.
A long term believer in manual myself I was an instant convert when I switched to auto in 2015 on an evoque with the previous evoque being manual and having driven a manual & a DSG Cali, the DSG suits the Cali very well.
No looking back for me.
Welcome to the forum.
Thank you I think you are probably right!

Biggest plus automatic is that in combination with cruise control long trips need no attention to gear changes up hills. If ACC (automatic cruise control) is fitted then that in conjunction with the gearbox keeps a safe distance from the vehicle in front, in town or on busy motorways etc.
Automatic isn't as good as a manual when manoeuvring in carparks especially on a hill in reverse.
Overall the auto suits a Cali as you can relax and enjoy the scenery more.
I'm in the 80% auto as the way to go camp.
Thank you, some good points. I think auto is probably the best on balance too, it's just frustrating when you find the almost perfect van but not it's not automatic.

Back