Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying a T6.1 with a manual or an electric roof top?

S

Sapmi

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 110
I want to buy a Coast, that comes with a manual roof. Is it worth the money to change it in an electrical roof?

Nope. I'd downgrade to a manual roof if I could! Too much to go wrong with no real benefit with the electric roof as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That would be one's personal choice.
Apart from the cost and possible problems, I am still happy to have the electrohydraulic operated roof.
I don't like the way the roof is secured in closed position.

It will be your personal choice.

I want to buy a Coast, that comes with a manual roof. Is it worth the money to change it in an electrical roof?
If you intend to carry something quite heavy on your roof, like a filled roof box or canoe, the electric roof seems to cope better with this than the manual.

Also depends how long you intend to keep the van, if you are looking to change it say every 3 or 4 years and have the extended warranty the hydraulic roof isn't a worry but if you intend to keep your van long term it may be better to stick with the manual roof.

If you spec a hydraulic roof on a Coast, does the increase in cost take you in to Ocean territory.

We have a manual roof, and we are very happy with it.
The first times it seemed difficult to overcome, but it was certainly due to a need for break-in. The frequent breakdowns of the hydraulic system that we can read on the forums confirm my choice. I preferred to put the money on other options.

If you intend to carry something quite heavy on your roof, like a filled roof box or canoe, the electric roof seems to cope better with this than the manual.
If it's too heavy for the manual, it's too heavy for the hydraulics. With the manual you realize it quickly. With hydraulics it is when the pump has to be replaced.

Nope. I'd downgrade to a manual roof if I could! Too much to go wrong with no real benefit with the electric roof as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
My last Ocean (about 6 months old) spent two weeks in with VW having the hydraulics replaced, and one of my main reasons for changing to a 6.1 Coast was the manual roof; no regrets (using it on the driveway).

I had hydraulic but now have manual. Firstly I wouldn’t pay to upgrade as the manual is fine and much easier than faffing with the bells and whistles of the former. I was also concerned about the reliability which is the less of an issue with manual but when I had it first I was disappointed by how agriculture the clamping arrangement was and the real risk of fabric entrapment. I’m a bit more relaxed now I’ve got the hang of it but those dangling clasps are annoying when in the open position - and the fact you have to do a lot of unfixing of the lining to close the roof with an isotop (I assume not an issue for the hydraulic version.

Does the Beach / Coast manual roof still mean you lose the front window? (any form of window)

My 6.1 Coast doesn’t have a front window, just one on each side. No lighting in the top bed area either, apart from the supplied USB small (flexible) light. I too pondered about catching the fabric when closing, but practice sorts that out. I bought some small thin bungees to tuck the retaining straps out of the way.

My 6.1 Coast doesn’t have a front window, just one on each side. No lighting in the top bed area either, apart from the supplied USB small (flexible) light. I too pondered about catching the fabric when closing, but practice sorts that out. I bought some small thin bungees to tuck the retaining straps out of the way.
There is no front window in the Coast roof, but you can buy an additionary sum to obtain it.

Back