Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Buying advice using AutoeBid

C

CWS

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hi im trying to put an order together for a new cali ocean and came across comments on buying through a broker such as Autoebid. I have made enquiries regarding price with AutoeBid who seem to be very competitive.

I think I understand how they work and that your contact with the VW dealership only starts when you confirm you wish to purchase with Autoebid. AutoeBid then pass your details onto the dealership and they contact you for deposit payment.

Two questions:

1. Is my understanding of the process accurate.

2. Once you have paid your deposit does the dealer treat you like any other customer.

Hi im trying to put an order together for a new cali ocean and came across comments on buying through a broker such as Autoebid. I have made enquiries regarding price with AutoeBid who seem to be very competitive.

I think I understand how they work and that your contact with the VW dealership only starts when you confirm you wish to purchase with Autoebid. AutoeBid then pass your details onto the dealership and they contact you for deposit payment.

Two questions:

2. Once you have paid your deposit does the dealer treat you like any other customer.
yes that's correct i used them i was really impressed, the dealer will contact you then you are treated like any other buyer.

Thanks that’s put my mind at rest, just got to confirm my order and sit back and wait…….

chris

Two questions:

1. Yes

2. In theory.
In practice you will be allocated a 'pile em high and sell em cheap' business model dealer. I used Drive the Deal. All good, a c10% discount, but don't expect the customer service from a dealer who eg. sees the value of keeping you informed.

1. Yes

2. In theory.
In practice you will be allocated a 'pile em high and sell em cheap' business model dealer. I used Drive the Deal. All good, a c10% discount, but don't expect the customer service from a dealer who eg. sees the value of keeping you informed.
IMO No dealer keeps the customer informed regularly (None) not before during or after ordering, nor during service and warranty. The customer has to instigate all communication, to which the response from the dealer can vary significantly based on the individual you are dealing with.
A dealer would need sufficient resource within the dealership to provide a constant monitoring of orders and work flow, dealers simply do not care about anything other than targets & profit & where the customer is concerned they are seen as a means to an end. To provide a better custo service would mean the dealer principal had to spend further Cash to provide the resources to provide that service, Dealers In General run on targets & profit margin, nothing else matters, despite the corporate BS, glossy posters and mission statement.

getting your head around that fact takes some doing when your spending your life’s saving with a dealer !

take the cheapest option and bank the saving (trying not to grin too much thinking about the dealers that either would not budge enough on price to secure your order or whom simply did not call you back)

In my experience Auto E bid are excellent & if you do decide not to proceed with them they will not bombard you with calls.

1. Yes

2. In theory.
i got great service from the dealer kept me informed through the process.

Two questions:

Check where the dealer that will process your order is based, otherwise you could be in for a long drive to collect.
Autoebid and Drive the Deal pricing was pretty much the same.
If you have a good dealer nearby, see if they’ll price match. (Ours pretty much did)

Check where the dealer that will process your order is based, otherwise you could be in for a long drive to collect.
Autoebid and Drive the Deal pricing was pretty much the same.
If you have a good dealer nearby, see if they’ll price match. (Ours pretty much did)
I tried my local dealership sadly they weren’t interested in getting anywhere close to the price offered through AutoeBid.

I like the idea of buying local however there’s almost 4k difference so I will order through AutoeBid (once I’ve decided on my colour and option which is also proving difficult).

I tried my local dealership sadly they weren’t interested in getting anywhere close to the price offered through AutoeBid.

I like the idea of buying local however there’s almost 4k difference so I will order through AutoeBid (once I’ve decided on my colour and option which is also proving difficult).
I wouldn't worry toooo much about getting your colour/options spot on. As long as you know which Beach/Coast/Ocean and which engine, get your order in because you can change your spec until you have a provisional build week. Also, prices tend to rise and of course, the queue gets longer...
If it helps - DtD use Eurovans Crawley. Probably worth a call to them anyway for a quote?
If you need any opinions on options, you'll find some keen contributors on here (myself included)!

Last edited:

As you’re in Bristol, it could be worth a call to Breeze in Poole. They’re highly rated by many club members and not too far away.

They will probably put you in touch with Preston Van Centre the chap I dealt with was called Guy Vincent

Another vote for Autoebid. Double digit % saving and good communications. Would recommend. They gave me options on the dealer, from the cheapest (which I went with) to a closer one (which I can't really remember anything about). They were up front with the fact they were a volume/fleet dealer. As others on the thread say (and from the T6.1 delay thread) it doesn't make any difference the the final outcome in terms of how long it takes (ages) and what you get told (very little). The dealer I ended up with are polite, but really they don't know anything either so most of the time have little to report.

Was upset how quickly my salesman lost interest in me after taking my cash. He obviously isn't interested in maintaining a relationship for any future purchases. So I will go with a broker next time.

Was upset how quickly my salesman lost interest in me after taking my cash. He obviously isn't interested in maintaining a relationship for any future purchases. So I will go with a broker next time.
Yes most of the sales guys are full of sing so I just want the van as cheap as possible, then you deal with the service department lol

Most target sales driven businesses are full of the proverbial.
Promise the world, deliver songs !
And not the ones you actually want to hear ;)

Can you still buy using a PCP through Autoebid or DtD? We’re thinking of swapping our T6 (no finance) for a T6.1 on PCP. Do you just arrange that through the dealer afterwards or do you need to buy outright to use threes brokers?

Can you still buy using a PCP through Autoebid or DtD? We’re thinking of swapping our T6 (no finance) for a T6.1 on PCP. Do you just arrange that through the dealer afterwards or do you need to buy outright to use threes brokers?
The dealer will offer you the option

Two questions:

yes that's correct i used them i was really impressed, the dealer will contact you then you are treated like any other buyer.
I also bought my Cali through AutoeBid last year and was really impressed. Had to travel to Preston to collect it but the dealer service was also really good.

The dealer will offer you the option
In fact the Autoebid or DtD offer will specify any additional discount offered for taking VW finance. These offers appear to vary from time to time. It is possible to take the finance, with the extra discount, then pay off the finance within the cooling off period with no penalty, to achieve the best possible cash price.

I'd prefer a friendly local-dish dealer to an online offer.
I've just had a vehicle serviced today, salesman collected
it this morning, left his car in the yard, dropped it back off tonight
with a 1200€ bill. Nice.
I treated him to a roast beef sandwich.
Dijon and raw red onions, crispy baguette, real butter.

Cant get that service online.

Back