Buying and Ocean 6.1 but which one?

Nick G

Nick G

Nick G
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi guys,
I'm returning to the fold having had two Calis (both T5s) in the past and recently felt the need to go 'vintage' having restored a T25. It was lovely to look at but with my 65 year old body, not so great for driving long distances.
So I have decided to buy a 6.1 Ocean. Either a 2023 or a pre-registered 24 (age 5 promise is attractive)
I have worked out my options priority list and realise I will have to compromise. I am hoping to buy at around £65k and get a sub 10k mileage. In an ideal world it would be a two tone but they seem to be at a premium price wise and I haven't seen any 24 two tones.
Your thoughts of the following:
150 or 204? My first thought was go fr the 204...bigger/better but I don't need to be fast and am only ever likely to tow a small trailer with a motorbike on it
Double skinned roof bellows. It looks like this was adopted some time in 2023. Is it much of an advantage? There are after market products (brandrup one is expensive) I will be using the van in the colder months.
Acoustic/heated front screen. Is it a real bonus? Lots of vans I have looked at in Approved used don't have it

Vans on my short list as follows

1. 2023 Two tone (ascot grey/white) 4k miles 204ps, Pretty standard (wheels, seats, floor. options), tow prep, £67k (vw dealer)
  2. 2024 Ascot Grey, 10 miles!, 150ps, 18" wheels, shower, nav, wood floor, wifi button on dash (don't know what that does), standard cloth seats £68k (vw dealer)
  3. 2022 Two tone (bronze/white) 9,600miles, 204ps, 18" wheels, tow bar, discover media, wood floor, shower, standard seats £67k (vw dealer)
  4. 2023 Fortuna red, 3.5k miles, 150ps, velar, wood floor, standard 17" wheels, tow bar, shower, wifi button thingy £65.5k (vw dealer)
  5. 2023 Fortuna red 4k miles, 150ps, 18" Woodstock wheels (not that keen on these), tow, style pack (not VW), around £2k with of camping extras some of which would be useful, £64k (PRIVATE SALE)
My gut is saying number 4 above. My heart....well....there is a '23 two tone (bronze/white) 204, 4 motion (10.5k miles) available but it doesn't have many options (apart from an electric door which I'm not bothered about) and its over £72k! but it looks great:)

Any thoughts appreciated.
thanks
Nick

We are soon to pick our new Ocean up. 5 plus promise 5 years 0% finance tow bar, heated screen , wood effect floor, comfort mattress etc. Zero mileage in Ascot Grey.
It's seemingly cheaper to buy new at the moment but be quick they will all be gone very soon.
We went for the 150hp purely because it is plenty and potentially less to go wrong in the future.

#1, no contest. The AG/white combo doesn't show well in photos but in person it's gorgeous... and rare. The first Cali I saw was in the Customer Centre at the factory in Hannover and it was this colour combo. Such a classy look.
204PS isn't absolutely necessary, especially with FWD but nice to have especially towing a motorbike (this will be by plan when a retire in a few years time). Ask if the dealer will install a tow bar as part of the deal.

Have you seen this one on AT? I’m pretty sure this was up for sale on here for just shy of £60K so there may be a bit of wriggle room. Seems a good spec and is the 204 BHP and is 2 tone and very low miles

Have you seen this one on AT? I’m pretty sure this was up for sale on here for just shy of £60K so there may be a bit of wriggle room. Seems a good spec and is the 204 BHP and is 2 tone and very low miles
At least its got the non leaking bellows. But it's also 3 years old so likely out of warranty.

This is one of mine. Still has 3 years full VW Warranty left.

Have you considered a Coast? this is mine, I have been thinking of crossing to the dark side (electric self conversion). It’s a 20 plate loaded with goodies and a darn sight cheaper than an Ocean :thumb
IMG_8452_Original.jpeg

California Chris has a nice Ascot Grey with sport pack for sale in his latest YT video for £61K

My advice would be low ball as many dealers as you can who are selling ones you like, many have been sitting there for months on end so they may be desperate to deal

Thanks for the useful advice. Keep it coming.
I had looked at Autotrader but in the motorhome section not the cars section.
I do want an Ocean rather than a Coast but love the two tone green and white. That colour combo would be my favourite.
I'll try the low ball approach suggested by Barry.

Keep looking. happen to know that a dealer in the south east will soon have a very nice Sept 2022 Fontana red 204 4motion with sports pack, tow bar and only 8k miles, very soon. Around the 65k mark.

Thanks for the useful advice. Keep it coming.
I do want an Ocean rather than a Coast but love the two tone green and white. That colour combo would be my favourite.
I'll try the low ball approach suggested by Barry.
There’s loads more in the car section and you can refine the model to an Ocean too.

We bought brand new for 68 with the discount for a 204 fully loaded Ocean.

if you have 65 to spend you should be able to do a lot more than that list and at the very least strike a deal on a new stock model from a dealer.

Some members have recently cut deals with Breeze who seem to be very reasonable and have stock to sell.

Keep looking. happen to know that a dealer in the south east will soon have a very nice Sept 2022 Fontana red 204 4motion with sports pack, tow bar and only 8k miles, very soon. Around the 65k mark.
Sounds interesting. I am due to take a look at a few at Breeze Poole tomorrow. Its not there is it????

We bought brand new for 68 with the discount for a 204 fully loaded Ocean.

if you have 65 to spend you should be able to do a lot more than that list and at the very least strike a deal on a new stock model from a dealer.

Some members have recently cut deals with Breeze who seem to be very reasonable and have stock to sell.
I am due to visit Breeze in Poole tomorrow. I'll see what sort of deal I can get on a new one maybe.

Pick a colour you like, get a good deal, don’t worry too much about engine or spec, they’re all good vans.

On the engine, I have a 150 and it’s enough power in my opinion delivers great fuel economy on runs and has been very reliable over 4 years.

Good idea to check both, also try the vw vans website, some advertise on there and not AT.

Sounds interesting. I am due to take a look at a few at Breeze Poole tomorrow. Its not there is it????
No, I am taking it to SMG in two weeks time. I changed to a 680 a couple of months ago. I think it has most options less electric door. If I was loaded, I would have kept it.

IMG_8663.jpeg

Latest on my Cali Ocean search.
I have found a '23 plate 150ps (registered 30/09/23) Green/white van which is actually pre registered new and unused (delivery miles) which I really like but the dealer isn't budging even a little bit on his price. I've tried to get accessories included. Paint protection etc but he's not moving. All he offered was a tank of fuel. Mind you it does have the 80 litre tank:). It doesn't come with the 5 promise and doesn't have the interior I prefer but I do like it.
I can get a used red, sport pack 204, 24 plate with the promise for virtually the same price which would probably be sensible but there's something about the green' white fella that's drawing me....what to do?

For what it’s worth, VW stopped offering the two tone option in the UK at some point in 2023 (or maybe even late 2022? I don’t remember), hence why you’re not seeing 2024 models with it.

The green and white model is just stunning (I’m biased - that’s the one we have). It’s going to sound silly but every-time I see a non two-tone Cali, I’m so so glad we went for two tone as it brings a smile to your face that a plain grey or white or red van just doesn’t. But yes, it is silly for sure.

Perhaps more important is to look at the options that are truly essential to you. We have a fairly fully-loaded Ocean. But TBH, if we were looking second hand, we’d be happy to compromise on just about everything but the shower at the back. That’s our truly essential option that makes a huge difference to day to day use.

Next up is the color - because OMG :kiss

Then it’s the Discovery Media pro because Car Play on the smaller screen looks a bit silly and wrong as the screen doesn’t have the correct proportions (again, very silly, but there you go…).

Finally, the wood-effect floor (doesn’t look great - doesn’t look anything like wood - but so easy to wipe clean) and the Art Velour seats (same reason - so easy to wipe clean).

For what it’s worth, VW stopped offering the two tone option in the UK at some point in 2023 (or maybe even late 2022? I don’t remember), hence why you’re not seeing 2024 models with it.

The green and white model is just stunning (I’m biased - that’s the one we have). It’s going to sound silly but every-time I see a non two-tone Cali, I’m so so glad we went for two tone as it brings a smile to your face that a plain grey or white or red van just doesn’t. But yes, it is silly for sure.

Perhaps more important is to look at the options that are truly essential to you. We have a fairly fully-loaded Ocean. But TBH, if we were looking second hand, we’d be happy to compromise on just about everything but the shower at the back. That’s our truly essential option that makes a huge difference to day to day use.

Next up is the color - because OMG :kiss

Then it’s the Discovery Media pro because Car Play on the smaller screen looks a bit silly and wrong as the screen doesn’t have the correct proportions (again, very silly, but there you go…).

Finally, the wood-effect floor (doesn’t look great - doesn’t look anything like wood - but so easy to wipe clean) and the Art Velour seats (same reason - so easy to wipe clean).
Your options order (and colour) is pretty much my full wish list but I will have to compromise. The Green and White two tone van I like doesn't have Art Velour seats, 'wood' floor or Discovery Media Pro. It does have the shower and an electric sliding door which I actually consider a disadvantage having had one in my last T5 cali. There are vans about that do have all options I'd like but sadly no two tone.I'll probably go for it and buy seat covers and a carpet. I'll sleep on it:)

Search over:)
I went with my heart and not my head. Bought a green and white 2 tone van registered Sept 23 'used' with 25 miles on the clock! Basically a new van. Without the '5 promise' as it's too old!!! Hasn't got the interior I want but I love it already.
Now the search for all the accessories I need that I sold last time I had a Cali.
I'll take a good look on the classifieds here and do a bit of a wanted post.
Good to be properly back in the community. I pick it up at the end of the week. First trip planned for Cornwall after school is back.
Thanks for all of the good advice/guidance.

Congratulations, don’t forget the pics when you get it