Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Think I'm there?

Great you're nearly there - I was he same, dreaming for years.
I'd swap the 204 for a 150, and the alloy spare for a steel, and with a bit of the savings, add Dynamic Chassis Control and ceramic coat it. The remaining savings (and increased fuel economy) will run the van for a while, possibly years!
Agree on the engine 150 and the steel wheel wheel, I didn't go for DCC but if money was no object I guess I would

Agree on the engine 150 and the steel wheel wheel, I didn't go for DCC but if money was no object I guess I would
I'm defo considering changing to the 150 without trying one tbh.

After searching this forum about DCC, most say it's not worth the extra, unless I'm not searching the right thing

After searching this forum about DCC, most say it's not worth the extra, unless I'm not searching the right thing
The 150 engine will save you a chunk of cash for sure.

My logic is for the DCC, and to a point with the engine, is you're not going to have the agility of a a Mini Cooper S or Porsche, or the super luxury ride of a BMW 7 series. So why throw money at trying to get neither?

What you are going to have is a super cool memory-maker where you can duck out of work on Friday afternoon and be waking up to the smells and sounds of the countryside whilst making your own bacon sarnies! :) day trips, drives away, tea by the lake, wet weekend in Wales, wake up with your mountain bike in the dales, how amazing!

Priceless... Well, 70k, but .. priceless :cool:

I think it's about how it fits in your overall budget. I've previously spent too little on cars (driving something near on dangerous) and at other times too much (Saab 900 turbo age 21, couldn't afford petrol!).

Point is if you have 200k you can probably spend 71, 72, 75k, no worries, but if you have 65k, and that extra 5k might mean not doing something else... well then it's budget time and you go with what you feel you can afford and make a cut at that point. Not what I say or anyone else says. Later it's you crusing round with a smile on your face and no-one elses joy or problem.

Bit of a speech sorry but think this is something that doesn't get talked about enough.

As he’s liked my comment above, I reckon @Tomdbreeze will be willing to do you 10% off @Dippa!

Are you anywhere near Poole?

I'd bin the comfort mattress, shower, wood floor

We use the shower a lot, love the wood floor also, it’s a lot nicer than the basic flooring. At the end it’s all about preference, I recall not sleeping well for several nights and ours was just under£60K a wile back, my advice is order soon, start enjoying life !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any 150 owner will tell you it’s enough. And as long as you don’t mind slowing down when presented with a gentle incline then I’m sure it is. Mrs KB has a Tiguan with the 150 and it frustrates the hell of me when travelling along the A30 in/out of Cornwall. Which we have to do any time we want to go anywhere. So a 150 in the much heavier Cali isn’t for me.
DCC on the other hand - agree, not worth it.
You pays your money and takes your chances but, having ticked the 204 box initially, if the 150 doesn’t quite cut it for you you’ll always only be 95% happy.

Any 150 owner will tell you it’s enough. And as long as you don’t mind slowing down when presented with a gentle incline then I’m sure it is. Mrs KB has a Tiguan with the 150 and it frustrates the hell of me when travelling along the A30 in/out of Cornwall. Which we have to do any time we want to go anywhere. So a 150 in the much heavier Cali isn’t for me.
You pays your money and takes your chances but, having ticked the 204 box initially, if the 150 doesn’t quite cut it for you you’ll always only be 95% happy.
I’ve got the 150hp in a T6.1 Beach and I’d definitely recommend you went for the 204. The 6.1 map is a lot more frustrating than in was in my previous T6.

I’ve got the 150hp in a T6.1 Beach and I’d definitely recommend you went for the 204. The 6.1 map is a lot more frustrating than in was in my previous T6.
And we're back where we started :)

1) If you can afford it / if its worth it to you (it wasn't to me)
2) This is why I ask what kind of vehicle are you coming from, personally I still don't get why anyone is expecting or trying to make a van drive like a car, whichever car that is

You have DCC?

You’re not buying the van for this forum, you’re buying it for you. Unless you are desperate to save a few quid (which I doubt) why change your mind based on what others think? JFDI

Last edited:
You’re not buying the van for this forum, you’re buying it for you. Unless you are desperate to save a few quid (which I doubt) why change your mind based on what others think? JFDI
I feel your point contradicts itself here. Yes I'm a bit sensitive to these kind of things, ironically I don't care.

Agree on you're buying it for you, 100%.

But saying to question getting some options could only be because you're desperate... well that's where using the wrong language can mix a lot of things up.

If you're buying for YOU, and YOU don't want or need to spend cash on certain things, then YOU should be able to do that.

Clearly if its about a few hundred quid on a 70k vehicle I'm totally with you, but the 204 engine and DCC are 2 of the most high priced options that some people say you can do without.

Asking questions and listening to the advise is a smart thing to do.

The 80L tank gives you approximately an extra 100 miles over the 70L tank. In the UK and Europe fuel stations are all over the place so to my mind the extra 100 miles is neither here nor there. If you are travelling in a country where fuel stops are rare then that is different. All being well the spare will rarely be used so why have an expensive alloy when a low cost steel will be fine. If you really want one then fine.
I would love to have had the 80 litre tank, high speed through France gets you about 350 miles to a fill on the smaller one & thats running it down to about 50km of range showing.

Alloy spare is well worth having - gives you one replacement for a kerbing incident.

Also with regard to the 204 v 150 engine, I would say it depends on how you drive & where you are going. We have just done the journey back from Spain in our 199 for the first time having done the trip many times previously in a 140.

I had always thought the 140 adequate but the 199 was a whole level of refinement better at high speed & actually more economical. The biggest difference is in regaining cruising speed after having to slow down especially on hills.

The we connect app shows we averaged over 76mph for 5 1/2 hours yesterday through France whilst still getting 32mpg. As a mile muncher on the motorway it takes some beating.
If your driving style is more a leisurely 50mph bimble down the backroads the engine choice will be less important.

70ltr V 80ltr

Recommended not to go below 1/4 tank for regen and heater to function.

70ltr this is 17.5ltrs, 80ltr this is 20ltrs.

Gain on 80 over 70 results in 7.5ltrs of extra useable fuel reference the 1/4 tank minimum.

70ltr V 80ltr

Recommended not to go below 1/4 tank for regen and heater to function.

70ltr this is 17.5ltrs, 80ltr this is 20ltrs.

Gain on 80 over 70 results in 7.5ltrs of extra useable fuel reference the 1/4 tank minimum.

I think the difference is actually more than that in practice. I squeezed 61.64 litres into the 70 litre tank with a supposed range of 30km left.
But in previous van managed to get more than 80 litres into the 80 litre tank with a similar range left.

In comparing range till fuel warning light comes on,
Old van I used to aim to get 500miles between refills, new is more like 350.

I've managed to get the 10% off now :D

Trying to find the balance between the right van at a price that is affordable is difficult. So I've removed the spare alloy because I didn't want the upkeep of it, and dropped the engine down to the 150ps. I'm going to test drive a 150 in the near future, and can always add it back on if I feel it's needed.

I do drive vans daily and they're all roughly 130hp, so hoping the 150 will be more than enough

I've managed to get the 10% off now :D

Trying to find the balance between the right van at a price that is affordable is difficult. So I've removed the spare alloy because I didn't want the upkeep of it, and dropped the engine down to the 150ps. I'm going to test drive a 150 in the near future, and can always add it back on if I feel it's needed.

I do drive vans daily and they're all roughly 130hp, so hoping the 150 will be more than enough
Have you placed your order then??!!

Nice one. Keep reading the forum and considering your options. When you have a provisional build week (I had 11!) you can’t change them. If you’re still considering them, ask your dealer to contact you should your provisional week be revoked. I was a bit gutted when I got my first provisional week(!) as it fixed my options. I kept calling the dealer and suddenly my week 52 2020 was revoked, so I quickly added DCC and sports pack. My build week ended up being week 35 2021...

My understanding was that smaller changes don't matter, but bigger changes (like engine or such) would put you back at the end of the queue.
Can anybody confirm that?

If the 150 seems lacking after purchase and has a DSG then a TVS gearbox remap will improve the response and gear selection. Sub £400 cost.
Quantum also do DSG but no personal knowledge of performance benefits.

My understanding was that smaller changes don't matter, but bigger changes (like engine or such) would put you back at the end of the queue.
Can anybody confirm that?
The dealer will let you know but I agree I don’t think you could change the model or engine without a new order.

After speaking with several dealers and negotiating a price, I think I'm there!

I'm just a little worried if I'm honest. It's a lot of money, the most I've ever paid for a vehicle so hoping it's a fair price!
I just hope the camper life is worth it haha

• 204ps 2wd
  • Two tone Candy White/Bayleaf Green
  • 17" Woodstock
  • Spare alloy wheel
  • All season tyres
  • Wood flooring
  • Media PRO upgrade
  • Shower
  • Comfort mattress
  • Removable towbar
  • Traffic recognition
  • Storage net and 2nd draw
  • ArtVelours
  • 80L tank
  • 2 Free services
  • Extended warranty (5 years)

Total price = £72,258.70
Congratulations. I ordered my Ocean on 12 February 2021 and have just gone code 10, unconfirmed build week 42.

204, 4 motion with mechanical rear diff lock
Mojave Beige
Hill Decent
Lockable storage compartment
4 keys
Alloy spare
All weather tyres (can be used in Europe in winter, unlike all season tyres… apparently!)
Tyre pressure monitoring
Chrome package
Discover pro Navigation
Trailer assit, park assist, rear view camera
Art velours
Driver assistance package plus (lane keeping a bit of a revelation for me)
80 L fuel tank
Bed extension and comfort mat (I‘ll sell the comfort mat, but wanted the extension and cargo net)
Graphite cupboards with outdoor shower
Stronger AMG battery + increased alternator
Floor covering - wood effect
Storage compartment package
Removable lockable towbar
17 inch Devenport
Awninging in Silver

£73,243.08

Like most people, we’ve had a really tough couple of years. Sold the house in London, bought a cheaper house in the countryside, went a bit mental on the Ocean spec… Life’s too short!
Just want to travel as much as possible and see my son smile again.

Congratulations. I ordered my Ocean on 12 February 2021 and have just gone code 10, unconfirmed build week 42.

204, 4 motion with mechanical rear diff lock
Mojave Beige
Hill Decent
Lockable storage compartment
4 keys
Alloy spare
All weather tyres (can be used in Europe in winter, unlike all season tyres… apparently!)
Tyre pressure monitoring
Chrome package
Discover pro Navigation
Trailer assit, park assist, rear view camera
Art velours
Driver assistance package plus (lane keeping a bit of a revelation for me)
80 L fuel tank
Bed extension and comfort mat (I‘ll sell the comfort mat, but wanted the extension and cargo net)
Graphite cupboards with outdoor shower
Stronger AMG battery + increased alternator
Floor covering - wood effect
Storage compartment package
Removable lockable towbar
17 inch Devenport
Awninging in Silver

£73,243.08

Like most people, we’ve had a really tough couple of years. Sold the house in London, bought a cheaper house in the countryside, went a bit mental on the Ocean spec… Life’s too short!
Just want to travel as much as possible and see my son smile again.
Congratulations!
What is the bed extension?
Did you get 9%ish off with Drive the Deal?

Last edited:
Congratulations!
What is the bed extension?
Did you get 9%ish off with Drive the Deal?
The bed extension is the rear shelf that you get as standard. It’s one of those items listed to entice you into paying for an option when you don’t need it.

The cargo net comes as part of the storage pack not with the comfort mat.

In fact the only thing you get extra as part of the option is the mat.

Back