Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Think I'm there?

Dippa

Dippa

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
After speaking with several dealers and negotiating a price, I think I'm there!

I'm just a little worried if I'm honest. It's a lot of money, the most I've ever paid for a vehicle so hoping it's a fair price!
I just hope the camper life is worth it haha

• 204ps 2wd
  • Two tone Candy White/Bayleaf Green
  • 17" Woodstock
  • Spare alloy wheel
  • All season tyres
  • Wood flooring
  • Media PRO upgrade
  • Shower
  • Comfort mattress
  • Removable towbar
  • Traffic recognition
  • Storage net and 2nd draw
  • ArtVelours
  • 80L tank
  • 2 Free services
  • Extended warranty (5 years)

Total price = £72,258.70

I'm just a little worried if I'm honest. It's a lot of money, the most I've ever paid for a vehicle so hoping it's a fair price!

• 204ps 2wd
  • 17" Woodstock
  • Spare alloy wheel
  • All season tyres
  • Wood flooring
  • Media PRO upgrade
  • Shower
  • Comfort mattress
  • Removable towbar
  • Traffic recognition
  • ArtVelours
  • 80L tank
  • 2 Free services

Total price = £72,258.70
10% discount still?

• 204ps 2wd
  • 17" Woodstock
  • Spare alloy wheel
  • All season tyres
  • Wood flooring
  • Media PRO upgrade
  • Shower
  • Comfort mattress
  • Removable towbar
  • Traffic recognition
  • ArtVelours
  • 80L tank
  • 2 Free services

Total price = £72,258.70
It sounds like you've done a lot of research and carefully selected all of your options :thumb

If you got 9, it seems you did ok! Have you tried against DtD and Autoebid?

It sounds like you've done a lot of research and carefully selected all of your options :thumb

Cheers two-saabs. It's not been easy if I'm honest lol Forgot to thank you for all your advice on my other post - it was appreciated :thumb

If you got 9, it seems you did ok! Have you tried against DtD and Autoebid?
Yeah tried both. DtD came out cheaper by £200, but this was without 2 year extended warranty which is worth £399

Yeah tried both. DtD came out cheaper by £200, but this was without 2 year extended warranty which is worth £399
Phone them and beg for 10%, say you’ll place an order immediately if they can do any more!

Haha... If the answer to this remark is still unclear, I strongly advise you to wait with ordering your dream Cali, and rent one first for at least two week... If the answer is YES, I would go for it... If the answer is NO or MAYBE... Wait and think... :oops:

Haha... If the answer to this remark is still unclear, I strongly advise you to wait with ordering your dream Cali, and rent one first for at least two week... If the answer is YES, I would go for it... If the answer is NO or MAYBE... Wait and think... :oops:
Haha I usually wild camp with a hammock, so I''m sure I'll love my dream Cali. I have been dreaming of one for many years now! I just wish they didn't cost so much, but then again everyone would have one if they were cheap lol

• 204ps 2wd
  • 17" Woodstock
  • Spare alloy wheel
  • All season tyres
  • Wood flooring
  • Media PRO upgrade
  • Shower
  • Comfort mattress
  • Removable towbar
  • Traffic recognition
  • ArtVelours
  • 80L tank
  • 2 Free services

Total price = £72,258.70
Each person has their own reasons for including or excluding an option. Personally I do not see the need for a 204 engine, my 150 does everything I ask of it, or the 80L tank or an alloy spare. Could save you a bit. But then you may have excellent reasons for including those options.

Great you're nearly there - I was he same, dreaming for years.
I'd swap the 204 for a 150, and the alloy spare for a steel, and with a bit of the savings, add Dynamic Chassis Control and ceramic coat it. The remaining savings (and increased fuel economy) will run the van for a while, possibly years!

Last edited:
Each person has their own reasons for including or excluding an option. Personally I do not see the need for a 204 engine, my 150 does everything I ask of it, or the 80L tank or an alloy spare. Could save you a bit. But then you may have excellent reasons for including those options.
I'm still waiting for stock in my area so I can test drive a 150. I have plenty of time to change spec so thought it would be best to spec it higher and remove if required.

Curious to why you would remove the 80L and the spare alloy ?

I have the 80l tank and the downside is that it costs over £100 to fill it up!

Great you're nearly there - I was he same, dreaming for years.
I'd swap the 204 for a 150, and the alloy spare for a steel, and with a bit of the savings, add Dynamic Chassis Control and ceramic coat it. The remaining will run the van for a while, possibly years!
Cheers mate. Have you test driven the 150 and 204 ?

Curious to why you would remove the alloy wheel ?

I did look into the DCC but unsure if it makes a huge driving difference

I have the 80l tank and the downside is that it costs over £100 to fill it up!
haha If it prolongs me going to a fuel station for a day then I'm all for it. I currently have an all electric van for work which is great. Charge at home

Yes I test drove both, and didn't feel the extra power suited it, a bit grabby and scrabbly, stuff flying about in the van. 150 accelerates well, cruises at 90mph and is more efficient, important for me - I feel a bit guilty buying a diesel in 2021. I understand why some need 4motion for towing etc, and can see the 204 might be necessary there, but 2wd 204 is unnecessary imo.
Why do you need an alloy spare? It'll only be on until you fix the tyre. You might never use it. Save some money?
I added DCC after reading about all the aftermarket upgrades to the springs and shocks on this forum. DCC owners review it positively. Firming up for the twisties, via a button on the dash, softening it for the motorway and crashing through town potholes is useful upgrade to the wallowy ride. I'll upgrade the ARBs too.

Spare Alloy will need regular attention to avoid corrosion attack. A 4x4 rear spare wheel cover helps keep dirt off.
Get a Safety lock guard on ASAP.

I'm still waiting for stock in my area so I can test drive a 150. I have plenty of time to change spec so thought it would be best to spec it higher and remove if required.

Curious to why you would remove the 80L and the spare alloy ?
The 80L tank gives you approximately an extra 100 miles over the 70L tank. In the UK and Europe fuel stations are all over the place so to my mind the extra 100 miles is neither here nor there. If you are travelling in a country where fuel stops are rare then that is different. All being well the spare will rarely be used so why have an expensive alloy when a low cost steel will be fine. If you really want one then fine.

Thanks all for the advice regarding the spare wheel. I've removed the alloy and will go with the steel.

The 80L tank gives you approximately an extra 100 miles over the 70L tank. In the UK and Europe fuel stations are all over the place so to my mind the extra 100 miles is neither here nor there. If you are travelling in a country where fuel stops are rare then that is different. All being well the spare will rarely be used so why have an expensive alloy when a low cost steel will be fine. If you really want one then fine.
I literally hate stopping to fill up so the extra 100 miles just means less stopping for me haha I've removed the alloy :)

I had a test drive with both the 150 and 199 HP versions (this was 2020, so not 204), both in a DSG Cali Ocean. I was underwhelmed by the 150, which is why I insisted on testing the 199 version.
The dealer suggested that it wasn't going to feel much difference in normal driving and the stronger motor only made sense if I was going to pull a trailer. He nevertheless phoned around to find a bus with the 199 HP motor for me and it turned out that he was right. I didn't notice any significant difference.
I'm used to fun sporty car and no matter what you get, The Cali will never feel like the Mini Cooper S that is my current drive (which I'm keeping!). I subsequently ordered the Cali with the 150 motor.

I'd bin the comfort mattress, shower, wood floor

Back