Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dashboard buzzing noise

B

bertieblue

VIP Member
Has anyone experienced a buzzing noise coming from the front dashboard, near the centre (ish) It sounds like a phone vibrating but is only very intermittent and last a few seconds. And no there is no phone in the glovebox or on the dashboard!

My transporter did this once when I started it up a few months ago, no idea what it was though. It hasn't happened since so I've not bothered getting it looked at.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I have the same intermittent noise when travelling at certain speeds. I think it is a vibration from the transparent plastic fascia covering speedo etc. Try pressing it at the corner to see if it stops. Not sure how to stop it permanently though.

leightonjthomas said:
I have the same intermittent noise when travelling at certain speeds. I think it is a vibration from the transparent plastic fascia covering speedo etc. Try pressing it at the corner to see if it stops. Not sure how to stop it permanently though.

I had this when I first had my Beach, over time it's gone

James

Oh great - another rattle/buzz/squeak to look forward to!

:headbang

leightonjthomas said:
me too! Only at certain temperatures though

Yes yes yes! I.had this yesterday and twice I thought ohh my phones vibrating but not its wasn't, both times were at low speed while manoeuvring into car park spaces then once more positiong the Cali on our pitch on the camp site, no idea what on earth it is, will report back if it happens again and I work out what it is

Sounds like the N75 (or moo) valve. Mine sounded like a buzzer in the dashboard but it's actually at the top of the engine.

robc said:
Sounds like the N75 (or moo) valve. Mine sounded like a buzzer in the dashboard but it's actually at the top of the engine.

What's the valve for Robc? Cheers :)

It regulates the turbo boost by driving the variable vane actuator using vacuum pressure. The ECU requests a certain amount of boost dependent on the demands being placed on the engine and the valve manipulates the vanes to make the turbo deliver the required pressure. If the turbo starts to overboost it closes down the turbo to keep the pressure within the tolerances of the engine.

robc said:
It regulates the turbo boost by driving the variable vane actuator using vacuum pressure. The ECU requests a certain amount of boost dependent on the demands being placed on the engine and valve manipulates the vanes to make the turbo deliver the required pressure. If the turbo starts to overboost it closes down the turbo to keep the pressure within the tolerances of the engine.

That describes the noise very well. Often wondered what it was. Thanks for the explanation.

Alan

AlanC said:
robc said:
It regulates the turbo boost by driving the variable vane actuator using vacuum pressure. The ECU requests a certain amount of boost dependent on the demands being placed on the engine and valve manipulates the vanes to make the turbo deliver the required pressure. If the turbo starts to overboost it closes down the turbo to keep the pressure within the tolerances of the engine.

That describes the noise very well. Often wondered what it was. Thanks for the explanation.

Alan

Ditto! ;-)

It seems to be a common fault across the whole VW range and my own van made a noise at random intervals whilst driving for quite a while before I replaced the valve. As well as the buzzer noise whilst driving, it also made a mooing noise for about 40 seconds after I'd shut down the engine which I was getting sick of. Since I replaced it, I've had no strange noises at all.

So today my Cali went in for investigations as to the mooing farting buzzing noise. Turns out both my N75 valves were fine but all the rubber pipes linking then all up were hard and perished. Hard to believe on a 4 year old , 20k mile vehicle! Anyway £230:00 later they were all replaced with new modified rubber pipes and all back to normal. It seems to drive a lot smoother too so happy bunny once more ;-)

Mine was doing this in the summer but not now. What's the issue if I leave it until it happens again?

Hi, we had an intermittent noise that seemed to come from the centre of the dash of our 2013 SE, drove us nuts! Typically when I took it in to get looked at, the noise stopped. However, we were lucky to get a great technician who suggested it may be the horn worked lose and vibrating. He said it was an easy/quick thing to look at (minimal work required) and it did the trick, we've never heard it again in 6 months! Might be worth checking first before the expensive options. Hope you get it sorted.

Has anyone experienced a buzzing noise coming from the front dashboard, near the centre (ish) It sounds like a phone vibrating but is only very intermittent and last a few seconds. And no there is no phone in the glovebox or on the dashboard!
Yep, that is the explanation I got yesterday after phoning the VW Commercial place in Aberdeen. The noise has started getting more frequent and lasting longer. The van is a three year old Berhaus with 24000mls on the clock, so just out of warrantee. Didn't get the extended warranty as I thought the £1500/yr was outrageous. Maybe I am beginning to see why it is so expensive. These vehicles are too complicated in my view. Far too much to go wrong. It is still the best purchase I have ever made though!! :)

Normally, not always, it is the rubber tubes going to the N57 (Moo Valve) that have perished and just need replacing. Suggest this might be the first port of call, as if the valve itself has failed you will have to replace the tubes as you will be unable to remove them intact because of their age and premature perishing. Apparently VW no about this and always replace the tubes. Any competant mechanic should be able to just replace the tubes. Could be an easy fix.:thumb

sounds like what we had...it was a simple pipework modification (under warranty just in time:Nailbiting) not the actual valve....took about an hour....

I had this issue, and following internet diagnosis believed it to be Moo/( N57) valve, took it to SMG who's computer diagnostic could not identify an issue, noise continued I took my van to Breeze to replace a cooker hinge and told them about the noise Again could not get any fault on the diagnostics. But on further checking confirmed our 2012 Cali had old type valve and VW had a new modified part, which was fitted, Since then no further issues and I am sure the van is smoother in traffic,this noise was driving me mad prior to the fix I think the part was about £50 (fitted under warranty).

Last edited:
Many thanks. V.Useful. I'll try and get it under warranty as I'm just 1 one over. Let's see how VW's goodwill is going!!

Back