Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Turbo noise on gear change?

G

Gasf

VIP Member
I have a '61 Cali 180 - I have noticed that when I press the clutch to change gear there is quite a loud blowing/hissing/roaring noise. Is this the turbo? Is it normal? Otherwise everything is OK.

Advice welcome.

Many thanks.

I have a 180 as well and do get a mechanical clunk sound when changing up gears from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. If gear changes are more leisurely then it doesnt seem to occur.

The VW tech explained that it was a valve changing between the big turbo and the little turbo that moves as the revs rise and fall. It makes sense that this may happen as you accelerate and then the revs will fall as you depress the clutch etc.

I wasnt 100% convinced as this doesnt explain why a more leisurely change doesnt have the same effect.

Either way I couldnt describe it as 'blowing/hissing/roaring noise'. This sounds more like a leak in the turbo air feed pipes somewhere or possible the 'clunky' valve.

Perhaps a trip to Mr VW is needed

All of my 180's do it. It is standard if its the noise I'm in about. Alex will be along in a minute to explain no doubt :thumb

Does sound like it is standard noise that 180's make. Always worth popping it into a dealer just to confirm though if you are concerned.

cheers

Im wondering whether it's the sound I reported in the earlier thread titled "A judder when changing up gear" in same section of the forum.

Maybe we're all getting the same noise, but not very good at explaining what it sounds like :crazy .?

I would best describe it as a chatter when changing gear.

Many thanks for the responses - I feel reassured that it is normal and probably nothing to worry about.

A chatter describes it perfectly.

I guess nothing to worry about, even though it happens on most up gear changes when depressing the clutch?

Thanks

Yes it would. The turbo is providing boost to the engine when you depress the clutch the boost needs to be dumped as the revs drop and the turbo spins down. Waste gate opens and closes to dump boost making a chattering noise. All normal.

From what I understand this is a characteristic of 180's so I assume the twin turbo's must have a more complicated mechanism, i.e. there is a cross over between when they provide boost.

I've been listening carefully recently and the only noise I can hear when changing up is the usual slight drops in revs that you get from any car. Maybe I'm deaf?! :lol:

Hi

Every now and again I hear a truck or a 4b that makes a (hard to explain in writing) 'Boooooooo' sound when changing gears. It does sound like a blow off valve but much deeper compared to a petrol engine.
Even i am facing this noise problem from last 15 days.. Its really irritating.. took it to nearest garage but they could not provide a satisfactory answer to me..
I have not found anyone good answer regarding this problem to any other forums.. I just can not get a reason for it.. Is it a kind of rear problem in car??
or we just neglect this sound and carry on..
Anybody with some better idea regarding this???????????????

Cheers