Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Byelaws, pop-top and cooking

In Scotland a specific distance was specified so everyone knew what ‘local’ meant, 5 miles I believe.
That never happened in England hence the confusion and the Derby incident where the local Police’s interpretation was not backed up by any law specific enough.

The Johnson cycling thing was the same, someone’s opinion is not the same as the law.

You boys, you love a good ‘Barney’....shall we go for whole points advantage or fractions ?

Of course, that’s what brings the forum to life! How interesting would it be if we were all comparing the distance between the rivets on our awnings?

Last edited:
Haha very good.

I am fully aware of the difference between guidance and legislation thank you

Im quoting the Prime Minister in his speech to the commons in 4th January. A full copy of the legislation that covers this can be found online if you wish to educate yourself.
The PM did not AFAIK speak to the Commons on 4th January, the house was in recess that day. Maybe you mean his address to the nation that evening? Here's a link to that:

No mention in there of staying local or not leaving your part of town or anything like that at all. But as Amarillo says, even if there was, that wouldn't mean it was necessarily the law anyway.

I'm sure we're all keen to "educate" ourselves so perhaps you'd be good enough to provide a link to the part of the regulations (not the guidance, which is not legally binding) that said that you must not leave your town or the part of the city you reside in or indeed any stipulation of where or how far you may travel for the various permitted purposes.

To give fellow forumistas a well deserved break I won't respond any more on this - unless of course you prove me wrong by citing some pertinent law I'm unaware of or have misunderstood, in which case I'll be fully prepared to apologise.

here is what i class as a rule : - no running in the corridor at school !
here is what i class as a law : - no driving over 70MPH on a motorway in UK. one involves the rozzers, the other is nothing to do with them . government 'rules' and 'guidance' aren't law. eat 5 a day. drink less than 21 units a week, guidance. not law. by the way i regularly go more than 70, i never eat veg and i reckon i drink more than 21 units a week , what should i be locked up for ? before anyone says it, being a tw@ is also not against the law, yet.

Perhaps the posts relating to legalities of CV legislation could be hived off and posted under a separate thread in 3 cocks so the rest of us could continue to have an interesting and reasonably light-hearted discussion on how we live in our camper vans?

Respect to all protagonists but there's a place for everything.

Perhaps the posts relating to legalities of CV legislation could be hived off and posted under a separate thread in 3 cocks so the rest of us could continue to have an interesting and reasonably light-hearted discussion on how we live in our camper vans?

Respect to all protagonists but there's a place for everything.
Usually better beer in the Three Cocks anyway. That's usually why FB ends up there.
;)

i don't go in the 3 cocks much to be honest. granny jen is dead right about my feelings on sam smiths.
anyway what was this thread about again ? i'm on the wainwrights tonight

In Scotland a specific distance was specified so everyone knew what ‘local’ meant, 5 miles I believe.
That never happened in England hence the confusion and the Derby incident where the local Police’s interpretation was not backed up by any law specific enough.

The Johnson cycling thing was the same, someone’s opinion is not the same as the law.
Even in Scotland, wasn’t the five mile distance about travel to the start point for exercise? A 20 mile bike ride straying over 5 miles from home while exercising would be fine?

The stuff about Boris Johnson cycling to the Olympic Park was a nonsense inflated by the press. 10 Downing Street and the Olympic Park are connected by the Jubilee Greenway and the mostly motor traffic free route takes about 40 minutes by bike. It’s even quicker using Cycle Superhighway 3.

I'm sure we're all keen to "educate" ourselves so perhaps you'd be good enough to provide a link to the part of the regulations (not the guidance, which is not legally binding) that said that you must not leave your town or the part of the city you reside in or indeed any stipulation of where or how far you may travel for the various permitted purposes.
If I recall correctly, during a different phase of this pandemic, there were movement restrictions between different Tiers of England. I don’t recall the details.

I thought they were guides to the Lakes.
Funny you should say that in our now off topic convo. On the bottle it shows a mountain. Is it dedicated to alfred wainwright ? the top of the bottle shows red tarn and helvelyn so i suspect it is

20210411_222558.jpg

Even in Scotland, wasn’t the five mile distance about travel to the start point for exercise? A 20 mile bike ride straying over 5 miles from home while exercising would be fine?

The stuff about Boris Johnson cycling to the Olympic Park was a nonsense inflated by the press. 10 Downing Street and the Olympic Park are connected by the Jubilee Greenway and the mostly motor traffic free route takes about 40 minutes by bike. It’s even quicker using Cycle Superhighway 3.
Just looked it up (full lockdown Scottish law):
  • Local outdoor recreation, sport or exercise, walking, cycling, golf, or running that starts and finishes at the same place (which can be up to 5 miles from the boundary of your local authority area) as long as you abide by the rules on meeting other households

Funny you should say that in our now off topic convo. On the bottle it shows a mountain. Is it dedicated to alfred wainwright ? the top of the bottle shows red tarn and helvelyn so i suspect it is
I usually pick up a few bottles of that at Tebay on my way north, always seems pretty good (to my uneducated southern palate anyway ;)). But of the Cumbrian beers my fave is probably Loweswater Gold.

1618177338562.png
Interesting interpretation of the law, by North Yorkshire police, based on the guidance to determine what is a reasonable excuse for leaving the place you live. They were running checks on car registration addresses to see how far you’d travelled, sometimes issuing fines. One I know of was issued after they drove 8 miles to go for a walk

View attachment 76549
Interesting interpretation of the law, by North Yorkshire police, based on the guidance to determine what is a reasonable excuse for leaving the place you live. They were running checks on car registration addresses to see how far you’d travelled, sometimes issuing fines. One I know of was issued after they drove 8 miles to go for a walk
Sh1t, maybe North Yorkshire is not the best place for a meet after all?