Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cable from engine room past drivers chair

The2rB

The2rB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi. Do anyone know if there is a cable gate or another smart way to get a cable from the engine room into the center of the car?

I'm thinking of adding an electrical heater inside the wan to my already installed electrical engine block heater.
Thinking of placing the interior heater behind the driver seat. To do this I would need to get the cable back there. Is there any good place to put the cable?

Also, if anyone have a better position for the interior heater, suggestions are welcome.

E.g. interior heater:
www.defa.com/en/automotive/warmup/produ ... martstart/

Couldn't find any good answers searching around, but someone surely must know something about this...

Could probably have a look around in the car, but need it to be ready for the holidays, so don't want to start removing parts of the interior quite yet...

Thanks in advance for any help given :)

Greetings from a snowy Norway.

Take it that it is too cold to get the eberspacher running? otherwise adding a timer unit to that would be simplest.

There are a few holes in the bulkhead between the engine bay and the cabin that the 12v cables run through, might be okay to use - would be a bit trial and error though.

If you have power for the engine block heater, can you also connect the hookup? Then just use that to run an electric heater inside?

Thanks for answering.

Actually the diesel heater would be perfect (as long as I would be able to also start the engine heater, no only the interior heater), but the car is normally parked in a garage.
Even though it is parked inside, the garage might get down to -10 to -15 degrees centigrade if the temperature outside is -30.
Even worse if I'm parked at work - outside - in -30... (I usually walk to work.)

I already have a DEFA block heater, so if I go for the set I linked to in the first post, I would get block heater, battery charger and interior heater with one 230 volt cable, and also a long distance remote.

As we also have power outlets at work for cars with engine heaters, this would be a good solution.

Have found several of the "holes" in between the engine bay and the cabin - so that should be OK to get the cable in, and down from behind the dashboard.

But - I wonder if it is possible to get the cable from the front of the cabin, to behind the drivers seat is a good way - or if the only place is under the carpet. Guess there are some cables running somewhere already...
Thinking of placing the electrical interior heater sideways on the cabin behind the drivers seat.
If I just can find a good way to get that (not exactly flat) cable back there.

On the T5s I think people get cables into the underseat area (to fit extra batteries etc) but running the cable underneath the van and coming up through holes under the seat. Might be worth checking if that is an option for you?
-10 and -30 must bring all sorts of issues to deal with!

What about running the cable up the A pillar, across the top of the door and down the B pillar?

I've never taken any of those bits of plastic off, so don't know how much space there is behind them.

I thought it was a bit chilly today when I was flushing my engine coolant through at about 6c... (top tip - wait for a warm day before doing this) :D

As all of the above really. One small problem, do your cables have connectors already attached? That could make it tricky but not insurmountable.

I must say I'm impressed with you "Winter" types. Once the clocks change our Cali heads for hibernation, like any sensible beast :p

S.

I've just re-read the details.

So if your unit derives it's power from 230v mains you have two options. Tee off the main feed with a hook up cable and plug into your vans socket then use a timed/electric fan heater for the cab or a similar tee arrangement with a 230v supply routed into the cab supplying a fan heater.

Surely if your engine block/coolant is up to temp when you get in and start the engine then you'll have an immediate warm blown air supply to the cab?

S.

Thanks for all the answers.
(And sorry for me being slow to answer, as I have been very occupied at work.)

Getting the cable through the A pillar and down again the B pillar can be an option, but I would need for it to be room for the cable with the connector, yes.
As this is 230 volts I'm not allowed to remove the connector, and then reattach it. But, using an electrician possibly is an option if this is possible at all.

Going under the wan is also an option, if I find any pre-cut-holes.

Have though about just putting it under the carpet, but guess it might be a bit risky having 230 volts running there out of sight - if there is no "canal" to put it inside - in case of damage to the cable over time...

The block heater have it's own connection today, and will have to keep using this.
Using the vans hock up could be a solution, but would then need to have two power cables connected if I go for this solution.

The block heater makes the engine warm enough so that hot air comes quite soon after starting the engine.
However, if about -30 outside, it takes a lot of time to get a warm car even if it is running combined with the diesel warmer.
So therefore wishing to have the electrical heater inside.

This post got messy, but hopefully I have been on track of what have been said in this thread in my absence.

Thanks to everyone taking time to answer my post.
Will hopefully pay you all back some day ;)

Which model of block heater did you install? we are looking to do the same and it'd be good to know a rough costs of unit and installation. We find the engine does not get warm enough to provide good cab heat . It feels like the radiator system is working too well and keeps the engine temp on the low side.

Five years old this thread!!

Back