Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac…

RockinNRollin

RockinNRollin

Where to next?
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
So far our Cali-life has been through autumn and winter and we’ve been content cooking inside. We’ve read a load of threads on here about Cadacs and the like and wonder how useful these would be vs the penalty of the space it’d take up (three of us in the van with no awning!).

We do a little bit of BBQing, like cooked breakfasts and do enjoy cooking alfresco when the weather is good.

From what I can gather, a Cadac provides good outdoor cooking as a hob (ie because it has a decent looking wind shield), an effective hot plate but I’m unsure about the BBQ element - seems to be a ventilated griddle pan effectively? Is it effective?

The one that’s caught our eye is the Safari Chef 2.

Cheers

So far our Cali-life has been through autumn and winter and we’ve been content cooking inside. We’ve read a load of threads on here about Cadacs and the like and wonder how useful these would be vs the penalty of the space it’d take up (three of us in the van with no awning!).

We do a little bit of BBQing, like cooked breakfasts and do enjoy cooking alfresco when the weather is good.

From what I can gather, a Cadac provides good outdoor cooking as a hob (ie because it has a decent looking wind shield), an effective hot plate but I’m unsure about the BBQ element - seems to be a ventilated griddle pan effectively? Is it effective?

The one that’s caught our eye is the Safari Chef 2.

Cheers

We are onto our second Safari Chef 2 after seven years intensive use.

2017/2018 we spent a full year touring Europe in our Beach (no internal kitchen) as a family of four (toddlers aged 2 & 3), and found the SC2 indispensable for that period. Almost exclusively we used the griddle, rarely or never the hot plate except to hold the pizza stone (an excellent accessory).

We still regularly use it, and I expect to use it this week for a daytime beach BBQ at West Wittering.

Fat drips from the griddle onto the fat collector below which is easy to clean - and even easier to clean if you put water in it before hand, which you can just tip away with the solidified fat. The griddle itself is a bugger to clean and destroys nylon scouring pads quickly and easily.

You didn’t ask, but I’ll mention it anyway. The pizza stone needs to either sit on the grill plate or BBQ grid to disperse the heat. With the lid on it heats up quickly to use as a pizza oven. The pizza base toasts nicely while cheese melts without burning.

You have a choice of three models. High pressure, low pressure and low pressure quick release. I recommend low pressure quick release with a 909, 907 or 904 bottle, but it will mean that you either need to carry a bulky second bottle or disconnect and retrieve your fitted bottle for each use.

We like ours. Sits in the back left of the spacemate. We find the hot plate better for everything. The BBQ one fine but loads of grease drips through and it’s a PITA to clean. The ignitor is rubbish, so we use a separate lighter and we find the “wind deflector” variable. The SC2 is used by just about everyone on here as their folding BBQ. We got the HP/LP version so can use with gas cans or the cali gas. If you want to look at alternatives Campervan Time did a round up a year back on YT.

We do habitually carry around a spare 907 so gas capacity probably isn't an issue and I assume in Europe 907s are easy enough to come by.

I'll check out the CampervanTime vid. Cheers.

I ending up buying the Primus Tupike it hardly takes up any space folded. It's not the cheapest but is a true premium product and definitely a case of you get what you pay for.

You can still find it for £200.

Anyone tried a Skotti. Much easier to stow as it flat packs when not being used. The Mk2 model has better way of dealing with fat vs the Mk1, using the water trick. And there is an optional cover and hot plate accessory. Can also use charcoal. Curious if its available in the UK.

Anyone tried a Skotti. Much easier to stow as it flat packs when not being used. The Mk2 model has better way of dealing with fat vs the Mk1, using the water trick. And there is an optional cover and hot plate accessory. Can also use charcoal. Curious if its available in the UK.
You’ve got me googling & eBaying now

I love the safari chef 2. Always the hot plate is for breakfast stuff as it is so easy to clean (just wipe with a paper towel when still hot). Bought a round wire cooling rack which I use all the time and fits neatly in the bag. Perfect to stand the lid on when hot and can be used on top of either plates with the lid on….to slow down the cooking process. I cooked a butterflied leg of lamb this way…it took a while but smelt amazing and perfect with flatbread and yoghurt if feeding a crowd. Often cook small new potatoes this way.

Might also be with considering a campingaz party grill 400. Similar set up to the cadac SC2, but slightly bigger cooking area. Similar price but check eBay for cheaper ones which is where we got ours from. We use this to cook for 3 people, and the wok/lid is great.

Safari chef seems to have 2 version, LP and HP. Which one is best and why?

HP runs off disposable canisters, whilst the LP runs from the same type of 907 (or 904) bottle that you have in the Cali. There are also adapter regulators to enable the LP to run from disposables too.

I tend to prefer the LP so that i can add an extra 907 (isntead of small canisters) which i can also use as spare if the main one runs out. However, i read on a dutch forum that the LP is not as powerful as the HP and therefore takes much longer to heat and people tend to prefer the HP. How are experiences here?

HP runs off disposable canisters, whilst the LP runs from the same type of 907 (or 904) bottle that you have in the Cali. There are also adapter regulators to enable the LP to run from disposables too.
Yeah. What we do. We have a LP with a HP adaptor. We generally just use the HP cans now for ease and not have to pull the bottle out. They last ages and we still have 2 of the 6 cans we bought last year left.

Looked at the others recommended. A little large and lego like for our liking. The beauty of the SC2 is you can pack it away as quick as you get it out and the bag is pretty small. The large metal grids look like they would need a lot of cleaning if using coals and cooling down after use.

50% of the time we cook in. We not as finicky as some about smells and it’s what the inside hob is for.

Last edited:
We are onto our second Safari Chef 2 after seven years intensive use.

2017/2018 we spent a full year touring Europe in our Beach (no internal kitchen) as a family of four (toddlers aged 2 & 3), and found the SC2 indispensable for that period. Almost exclusively we used the griddle, rarely or never the hot plate except to hold the pizza stone (an excellent accessory).

We still regularly use it, and I expect to use it this week for a daytime beach BBQ at West Wittering.

Fat drips from the griddle onto the fat collector below which is easy to clean - and even easier to clean if you put water in it before hand, which you can just tip away with the solidified fat. The griddle itself is a bugger to clean and destroys nylon scouring pads quickly and easily.

You didn’t ask, but I’ll mention it anyway. The pizza stone needs to either sit on the grill plate or BBQ grid to disperse the heat. With the lid on it heats up quickly to use as a pizza oven. The pizza base toasts nicely while cheese melts without burning.

You have a choice of three models. High pressure, low pressure and low pressure quick release. I recommend low pressure quick release with a 909, 907 or 904 bottle, but it will mean that you either need to carry a bulky second bottle or disconnect and retrieve your fitted bottle for each use.
This is a brilliant summarisation.

We absolutely love using the Cadac and generally use it for all of our trips over/above the Ocean's stove as it's easier to use, safer (with little people around), and cheaper to replace should it ever fail through wear and tear.

We've yet to really use it in ernest, but if you're really going to town on accessories (less is more..!), the SpaceMate tray has a special insert that allows you to place your Cadac within it, creating an outdoor cooking space underneath the tailgate - perhaps useful give you're sans-awning.

Cheers for the input everyone. Had a look in the local Go Outdoors at the Campingaz version but wasn't keen on the lid/wok with a ventilated rim, thought the Cadac seemed a bit sturdier. Gone for a Cadac Safari 30 (from what I can gather, that's the rebranded name of the series 2) Pro QR - on offer for £93 on t'web.

We do habitually carry around a spare 907 so gas capacity probably isn't an issue and I assume in Europe 907s are easy enough to come by.

I'll check out the CampervanTime vid. Cheers.
907 are widely available in Western Europe but not the Nordic countries, the Baltic states or Poland.

907 are widely available in Western Europe but not the Nordic countries, the Baltic states or Poland.
sorry to disagree but hard to find when you need one.sometimes we spent all day trying to locate one or were we just unlucky?

To throw a curve ball into the mix I have a Petromax Atago which is a brilliant bit of kit but only if you don’t mind using wood or charcoal for cooking. I have a Cadac Safari Chef 2 and did enjoy using it but for my use case the Atago fits our needs better. It's bigger in circumference that the Cadac SC2 but collapses down to around 15cm so very space efficient with a bigger cooking area in use. It works on the volcano principal so it’s very efficient (I can cook a cottage pie with about 15-20 briquettes) and it doesn’t get hot on the outside - you can pick it up and move it when lit (although probably not recommended!). You can also buy a surprisingly efficient heatproof cover which turns it into an oven, so you get the same ability to make pizza - I actually use my Cadac pizza stone with it. Also you can put a Dutch oven in or on it so cooking options are endless.

The reasons I switched from the Cadac are extra versatility and that it’s also a fantastic fire pit when not cooking on it.

TLDR fantastic, well built and versatile grill/oven/BBq/firepit in one unit with the one big draw back, it but doesn’t offer the instant convenience of gas.

sorry to disagree but hard to find when you need one.sometimes we spent all day trying to locate one or were we just unlucky?
They also do a Safari Chef2 that takes gas canisters which are pretty ubiquitous all around Europe. Most larger garages sell them in France, Spain etc.

Campingaz have a very good store locator which you can filter only for stores authorised to sell bottle refills. (Admittedly this doesn’t guarantee that they have gas in stock). Here’s the map for Germany as an example. Each pin is on an authorised 907/904 stockist.

0f47d5705912ecb1aab34063b17270fc.jpg

In contrast, below is a list of all the authorised dealers of 904/907 within a 150km radius of Rovaniemi, Finland.
30c8b88fe08923272da7c278e10a910d.jpg

But, even if there are no authorised dealers, the gas can sometimes be found, especially at chandlers at marinas popular with yachts people.

While authorised dealers are sparse in the Balkans, Greece seems to have its own brand compatible with 907/904.

And some campsites will buy from authorised dealers to sell at reception. And others do their own refilling.

We cook outdoors 90% of the time when camping, even deploying the Outwell tarp on the side to act as a rain shield (one up from a brolly!). A few years ago when hiring our first van we stumbled across the Campinggaz Party Grill 400 (the version that connects to a 907 cylinder). It was prior to knowledge of Cadacs, and while I’d agree it doesnt look as sturdy, it’s worked out well for us. The hot plate has a useful lip to stop fat spills, the body detaches to clean separately, you can use it as a straight stove, and we’ve a Cadac 30 pizza stone, which kind of fits - enough to easily cook a pizza. It also packs small. The only downside is the legs are short (30cm) which means you put it on a table, or crouch down / sit on a stool to cook. We also got a Cadac paella pan this summer - and love using that !

When the Partygrill finally gives up the ghost, we may look at the market again, maybe Cadac, but it’s got to pack small to live in our van!

There is a third option the Safari Chef Compact which use the cheap butane cartridges which are extremely widely available. It’s a table top version though ie doesn’t have legs/stand but does have the same 30cm cooking area as the SafariChef2

I wont lie - the whole 'What Cadac Safari Chef do you want' is a real minefield. Doesn't help when you wander into a Go Outdoors and they tell you the wrong advice too - took us a while to find that out.