Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Safari Chef 2 high pressure

altvic

altvic

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
On the good reviews I have just ordered Cadac Safari Chef 2 HP. I would like to preorder some gas canisters and found some Coleman on amazon but there is advisory note that they are only for Colman products-is this a manufacturers health and safety get out clause?

Coleman 6 x C500 Performance Screw On Gas Cartridge, Pack of 6, for Camping Stoves, Compact and Resealable Canister

1. Coleman 6 x C500 Performance Screw On Gas Cartridge, Pack of 6, for Camping Stoves, Compact and Resealable Canister

I use powersource ones that have been working fine. I have the LP Cadac SC2 but I also have a HP adapter.

The HP adapter allows me to use the same cans on my Slidepod, Cadac and my Alpkit brukit which is great but also at home or away I can use the big gas bottles that work out far cheaper for the gas.

You can get a small adapter on eBay that lets you use the cheap gas canisters that are available anywhere

15D43FA1-CF25-4D19-BB69-31421CD11814.jpeg

I have the High Pressure Cadac (when it arrives) so can only use the EN417 canisters. I have purchased 6 Colman 500 gm canisters, which some folk on this forum have successfully used on their HP Cadac. I will try out the Coleman canisters later in the week but does anyone have an idea if each canister can cook at least 3 / 4 meals (yes, I appreciate this will depend on what is cooked; just looking for individual experiences).
Thanks.

Does the HP perform better than the LP on the Cadac...?

Does the HP perform better than the LP on the Cadac...?
Don’t know but we got the hp thinking it would be more convenient being self contained rather than attached to a separate bottle via a pipe and regulator.

Don’t know but we got the hp thinking it would be more convenient being self contained rather than attached to a separate bottle via a pipe and regulator.
I felt the same way re: convenience but I had read that LP versions burn hotter than the HP version and especially so when 50% empty; not particularly good for pizza cooking.

The LP version probably a bit better environmentally. With no wasted canisters...

There is no significant performance difference that I've noticed until they get low on gas when the HP seems to suffer from poor output for a time as it gets low. I personally think LP is more cost effective and less environmental impact.

There is no significant performance difference that I've noticed until they get low on gas when the HP seems to suffer from poor output for a time as it gets low. I personally think LP is more cost effective and less environmental impact.

Like the idea from another member in a different post, that the small extra gas bottle will work as a backup for the main Ocean gas bottle.

I read that the HP is harder to modulate than the LP due to the large pressure differential across the valve. In short its a bit all or nothing. I have the LP which works ok but the bottle is a pain really.

I’ve just a lp cadac - with the adapter @MattBW mentions surely you get the best of both worlds? Canisters with adapter and 907 to supplement Cali gas supply. :thumb

I've got an LP and an HP. Picked the HP up for a bargain but soon realised that it wasn't as controllable as an LP. I just bought an LP base and interchanged the rest of the components.

Advantages of the HP are that is uses the smaller screw on cans. For boiling kettles etc no problem at all. For carting around a site or heading off to a lake somewhere and being truly portable, it does the job very well. But for longer, lower temperature cooking, the LP is the better bet.

I often run the LP on propane rather than butane. This is because it gets used a lot more during the winter, especially outdoors, and as everyone knows, propane works better at lower temperatures.

I use several different ones.

I have a 3.9kg stubby bottle that fits under the multiflex board.
I have a 6kg "lite" bottle which was really neat to cart about in my old Caravelle but I think they've stopped doing the bottles. It was too tall to fit with the multiflex board, lowered in my Beach.
Previously I had a 5kg stubby green patio bottle. No idea why its called patio gas when its propane.

I use quick release connectors and have different length hoses so I can chop and change regulators, gas supply and hose length for whatever I need/want to do.

Hi @SimonVW

interesting -- what propane cylinder do you use for the LP please?

I have a quick release adaptor on my Safari Chef so can attach it to 907 Campingaz butane or patio gas propane. It takes just seconds to attach.

OK - thanks - do you know if there any smaller propane cylinders available ? (& I don't mean the small HP ones)

Ideally I'd love something the size of the Camping Gaz 907 (which is 2.7kg) ....but haven't found it yet....

OK - thanks - do you know if there any smaller propane cylinders available ? (& I don't mean the small HP ones)

Ideally I'd love something the size of the Camping Gaz 907 (which is 2.7kg) ....but haven't found it yet....
Our Scandinavian Cali. owners on here use Propane cylinders the same size as the 907, perhaps they can give us some more information.

Like the idea from another member in a different post, that the small extra gas bottle will work as a backup for the main Ocean gas bottle.

Might have been me: I have one of these regulators:

and gas canister (aerosol blowtorch type) as a back up or for when I cba to take another 907 for the LP cadac. You just have to keep it upright.

You can buy 56 of those 227g canisters on amazon for £47 delivered (that’s over 12kg of gas) so cheaper than campingaz.

Last edited:
I read that the HP is harder to modulate than the LP due to the large pressure differential across the valve. In short its a bit all or nothing. I have the LP which works ok but the bottle is a pain really.
Having now used the HP Cadac I found gas control to be responsive for high and low heat control. Very pleased so far but yet to understand how gas hungry they are from the Coleman canisters.

I got thinking.
The HP version is a terrible waste on the environment compared to the LP version. Refillable use bottle compared to single use disposable...???

I got thinking.
The HP version is a terrible waste on the environment compared to the LP version. Refillable use bottle compared to single use disposable...???

Being metal I would have thought it gets recycled so not such a waste, still got to make it I realise.