Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali 6.1 4Mo - VB air suspension or Dynamic Chassis DCC

E

Ebos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
First world problem I know but I just ordered a Cali 6.1 and left out the DCC option on the basis that I am probably going to install the VB Air suspension system. Obviously that’s a very expensive bit of kit, however I want the maximum flexibility for my for 4Mo + LSD to get as far off road as possible & deal with places like Norway.

Also The Cali is approximately 60 mm too high to get into my garage & no opportunity to change doors et cetera given a massive RSJ in the way. Has anyone encountered or experienced both systems or looked at this before? I like the idea of a very comfortable ride on long journeys too and if I end up not going for the VB system and leaving the Cali in out drive year round and the standard ride is a bit harsh I will end up disappointed. Any thoughts would be really welcome Thanks

First world problem I know but I just ordered a Cali 6.1 and left out the DCC option on the basis that I am probably going to install the VB Air suspension system. Obviously that’s a very expensive bit of kit, however I want the maximum flexibility for my for 4Mo + LSD to get as far off road as possible & deal with places like Norway.

Also The Cali is approximately 60 mm too high to get into my garage & no opportunity to change doors et cetera given a massive RSJ in the way. Has anyone encountered or experienced both systems or looked at this before? I like the idea of a very comfortable ride on long journeys too and if I end up not going for the VB system and leaving the Cali in out drive year round and the standard ride is a bit harsh I will end up disappointed. Any thoughts would be really welcome Thanks
I have a 4Motion with diff lock and hill descent control, manual gearbox and standard cruise control and suspension setup. I spent two years playing in Norway with it in all seasons. I would like to lift mine but have managed so far with studded tyres or BFGoodrich AT (with a higher profile) depending on terrain without any modifications. So you don’t NEED to lift your camper to get to all sorts of interesting places. However, air suspension would potentially solve the getting in the garage problem but this might restrict what off-road tyres you could fit. I have 245 65 R17 on mine just now and there is minimal clearance for the rear wheels. You might be able to lift your van on springs and build a car port (if you have the space) for less than the air suspension haha.

I know very little about air suspension but the one thing I have noticed is that vans that have had it fitted tend to stick around for a long time waiting for a new buyer when listed for sale. Perhaps because it's a very small pool of buyers that value the benefits over the loss / simplicity / originality of the standard (or slightly lowered) set up. Smaller audience = smaller demand = the prices eventually obtained might be lower than standard.
Obviously that's of no worries if you are loaded or really need the obvious benefits of air suspension.

I went into this in some depth. Its quite complex and certainly expensive so an option you will seen nothng back on come resale.
In the end based on some negative as well as positive reviews I decided against it. In my experience air suspension doesnt = riding on air / magic carpet like a hydraulic citroen does. Tried a few high end cars like Range Rover and macan turbo and it wasnt the uplift I was expecting., better yes but not experience changing. Also not sure if the ACC compatibility has been resolved or not, used to be only possible with conventional cruise.
If you really need the versatility then maybe its worth it.

Ok. so I have 4MO and VB Air. So talking from experience here. A few things, and important that you don't mix these up.

1. Off-roading - as California4x4 says, if you have 4MO and higher profile tyres, you should be good. Just remember, a Cali as an off-roader is very different from a Land Rover in its capabilities. For Norway, you will be fine with the Cali and high profile tyres. For a bit more serious off-roading such as in Iceland, look at posts from users such as bvddob on minimal modifications required.
2. Air suspension height adjustments - again, remember this is not a Land Rover-like capable vehicle. The only time you will need to use increased height is when you are on a tough track with boulders and you would like to navigate over/around them slowly. I used this when navigating some off-road tracks in Portugal last month. Without the height adjustment, I would not have been able to navigate those tracks. The second time I have used it in the last 8 months. Good to know that it is there when you need it.
3. Garage height - remember, the VB Air suspension keeps your vehicle at VW recommended height all the time and therefore not additional wear and tear to the drivetrain or any related components. So in that it is like the standard suspension, but with the ability to lower and park in your garage. That will definitely be a plus for you and work well for you.
4. General driving - Air suspension is not about smooth 'air' riding as many people tend to associate it with ... or the 'pimp-my-ride' lowering. For me, it is to do with the handling. The ride is much better, body roll much less and it feels more like a car. It is well behaved, and that for me makes a big difference.
5. Adaptive Cruise and Lowered ride on motorways - no issues. Again, makes it a pleasure to drive with great handling on motorways and long distances. The lowered motorway ride is not the same as the lowest possible setting. In the lowest and highest, the max speed is about 10 mph. In the motorway lower setting, I think it just comes down my a few mm, but makes for a more planted ride.
6. Bonus - single button levelling - park up at a campsite ... or anywhere for that matter and with the press of a button the van is level. Makes for a much better experience when even having just a cuppa tea. Think about having a cuppa tea on your dining table if it is not on plain ground, or sleeping on a slanted bed - will not be a good experience

Rosmia installed the VB air on mine and they have done a very good job. Their sales support is also good.

IMHO, it is a great and worthy upgrade, if it ticks the boxes for you. I personally would not have a van without VB air now. It is not about being loaded and going for VB Air. it is about enjoying your driving and for me VB Air gives the driving characteristics in a van that I enjoy.

I have a 4Motion with diff lock and hill descent control, manual gearbox and standard cruise control and suspension setup. I spent two years playing in Norway with it in all seasons. I would like to lift mine but have managed so far with studded tyres or BFGoodrich AT (with a higher profile) depending on terrain without any modifications. So you don’t NEED to lift your camper to get to all sorts of interesting places. However, air suspension would potentially solve the getting in the garage problem but this might restrict what off-road tyres you could fit. I have 245 65 R17 on mine just now and there is minimal clearance for the rear wheels. You might be able to lift your van on springs and build a car port (if you have the space) for less than the air suspension haha.
Thanks for the feedback

Ok. so I have 4MO and VB Air. So talking from experience here. A few things, and important that you don't mix these up.

1. Off-roading - as California4x4 says, if you have 4MO and higher profile tyres, you should be good. Just remember, a Cali as an off-roader is very different from a Land Rover in its capabilities. For Norway, you will be fine with the Cali and high profile tyres. For a bit more serious off-roading such as in Iceland, look at posts from users such as bvddob on minimal modifications required.
2. Air suspension height adjustments - again, remember this is not a Land Rover-like capable vehicle. The only time you will need to use increased height is when you are on a tough track with boulders and you would like to navigate over/around them slowly. I used this when navigating some off-road tracks in Portugal last month. Without the height adjustment, I would not have been able to navigate those tracks. The second time I have used it in the last 8 months. Good to know that it is there when you need it.
3. Garage height - remember, the VB Air suspension keeps your vehicle at VW recommended height all the time and therefore not additional wear and tear to the drivetrain or any related components. So in that it is like the standard suspension, but with the ability to lower and park in your garage. That will definitely be a plus for you and work well for you.
4. General driving - Air suspension is not about smooth 'air' riding as many people tend to associate it with ... or the 'pimp-my-ride' lowering. For me, it is to do with the handling. The ride is much better, body roll much less and it feels more like a car. It is well behaved, and that for me makes a big difference.
5. Adaptive Cruise and Lowered ride on motorways - no issues. Again, makes it a pleasure to drive with great handling on motorways and long distances. The lowered motorway ride is not the same as the lowest possible setting. In the lowest and highest, the max speed is about 10 mph. In the motorway lower setting, I think it just comes down my a few mm, but makes for a more planted ride.
6. Bonus - single button levelling - park up at a campsite ... or anywhere for that matter and with the press of a button the van is level. Makes for a much better experience when even having just a cuppa tea. Think about having a cuppa tea on your dining table if it is not on plain ground, or sleeping on a slanted bed - will not be a good experience

Rosmia installed the VB air on mine and they have done a very good job. Their sales support is also good.

IMHO, it is a great and worthy upgrade, if it ticks the boxes for you. I personally would not have a van without VB air now. It is not about being loaded and going for VB Air. it is about enjoying your driving and for me VB Air gives the driving characteristics in a van that I enjoy.
Thanks for the nice feedback.
Actually I am considering right now to put VB on my new Cali 4Mo that arrives in March. I did some testdriving (but not enough) and I was impressed. So thanks for your report ;-)

Thanks for taking the time to respond Kurienp! Really good feedback. Rosmia are only15mins away from my inlaws in West Sussex so when i get delivery I will pop over to see them. Do you need to get it serviced in any way and if so what sort if intervals? Any issues with noise ie hissing? Anything else I need to think about at all? Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to respond Kurienp! Really good feedback. Rosmia are only15mins away from my inlaws in West Sussex so when i get delivery I will pop over to see them. Do you need to get it serviced in any way and if so what sort if intervals? Any issues with noise ie hissing? Anything else I need to think about at all? Thanks!

VB do advise a yearly service, which is just checking the bellows and ensuring that they are in good condition. I did the first check at Rosmia, the next one onwards, plan to do it on my own. Just a general clean of the bellows with plain water, and check the general condition.

The new compressors do not need a service.

Noise - yes, you initially notice when the compressor runs but soon you get used to it. No hissing when adjusting as this is not like a so-low system that lets out a lot of air when doing large adjustments quickly. it is only the compressor sound that is slightly audible.

Will be good for you to experience a van with VB Air so that you can determine for yourselves if the noise disturbs you at all or not.

Thanks cor that once I have a build date I will contact Rosmia. Exciting times!