Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Dogs

Cody said:
I'll second that, got 3 of the blighters and angels when all curled up asleep but frenzied lunatics when awake, especially the little deaf one who has OCD - like a child on permanent sugar rush. They love the Cali though cos that means big walk, probaly in the hils and involving woods with great smells and fox pooh to roll in! :roll:

Sounds like my 3 boys after Easter eggs! :rofl

Cody said:
has OCD - like a child on permanent sugar rush.

Ahh Cody... that sounds so much like our Ruby.

Wouldn't be without them.

Felt compelled to mention our black lab once again mainly because she is SO good when we camp!

We had her in a little tent (also for a few bulky bits like child car seats) overnight and it got pretty chilly - she seemed fine. She'll happily have a fairly relaxed day but also has no problem going for a 10k trail run with me. She's super obedient yet fun and slightly "mad" never whines, is always happy to fit in and is generally as good as a dog can be. She's also brilliant with our kids who love her to bits.

Easy to forget to appreciate a laid back dog that just fits in with your lifestyle! That's until your maybes bring along their dog that is a COMPLETE PITA!!

So a "big up" to our 5 year old black labrador, Maddy! Here she is playing in the water with our little girl.

P1010794.jpg

And the Collie sticking it's nose in? lol. WE work on the principle of wear them out so big hills, fast walks and bring them back half dead. You can beat a Collie but expect to have to sleep afterwards too lol.

Nice to see fit Lab - too many are a bit porky.

That collie was a bit of a pain TBH! Friendly but begged a lot.

We decided if we got a dog, we'd keep it very fit, especially with labs being so prone to getting chunky! She's swam with me in the sea for nearly an hour before and takes a 5 mile run in her stride. I tend not to take her on my longer runs as I think it might be a bit OTT on her legs (always trail runs) but she'll still get a good walk on the same day.

She can put quite a pace on when needed - especially when racing another dog to a ball!

P1000094.jpg

Yeah, stick mainly to runs round the forests. Had to restrict ball throwing to protect the eldest from himself, he's starting to show his age - as am I. Still manages to trot up the Old Man of Coniston - southern route - with gusto and utter contempt as the humans try and keep up. THe 2 girls are damned quick and chase each other round the park, brilliant to watch when outside, a nightmare inside - lol.

Great picture of Maddy on the beach, miss the beaches of Scotland but not the ticks!

Cody said:
Yeah, stick mainly to runs round the forests. Had to restrict ball throwing to protect the eldest from himself, he's starting to show his age - as am I. Still manages to trot up the Old Man of Coniston - southern route - with gusto and utter contempt as the humans try and keep up. THe 2 girls are damned quick and chase each other round the park, brilliant to watch when outside, a nightmare inside - lol.

Great picture of Maddy on the beach, miss the beaches of Scotland but not the ticks!

Stayed in the Highlands once when I was 15 with my parents and our two dogs. They got covered in ticks and my poor sister had one on her head. I slept very badly the whole holiday!

Then did an Army camp nr Dundee in June, mostly kipping outside - not a single issue with midges or ticks.

Record is 24 ticks on the one dog, who had been Frontlined! Caught them whilst quite small but hairy dogs hide the little blighters

Germany is proving tick fest central as well.

As one of these "Munro Baggers" (people who try to get up all Scottish mountains over 3,000ft) I've often slept rough in the Highlands but not had a tick yet, and any dog with me at the time has had few if any. I was at RAF Lossiemouth for 3 years and ticks weren't a problem on the hills then either. Snowdonia is the place for ticks, last year both our dogs had many (didn't keep count) and Rosemary had one on her tummy - must be off all those sheep?

Will post a pic of our Cali dog in our Cali when we get it, still due for early June. He loves camping and driving so he'll be in heaven!

Just finished 3 years at Leuchars - Tentsmiur Forest - tick nightmare but would agree, Wales much worse. WE also had ticks on guys doing training in the woods, one especially embarasasing one but he was commando :headwall lol.

Cody said:
Just finished 3 years at Leuchars - Tentsmiur Forest - tick nightmare but would agree, Wales much worse. WE also had ticks on guys doing training in the woods, one especially embarasasing one but he was commando :headwall lol.

Did loads in Sennybridge and never had an issue. Just Scotland.

Cody said:
Which proves that Sennybridge is so grim, even the ticks don't like it there! :lol:

Try having very bad food poisoning there (civvy caterers gave us warmed up beef stew - about 80 people were poisoned!!)!!

Trying to think if ever been to Sennybridge and not been hissing it down with horizontal rain - nope, don't think I can. And think Lydd could give Sennybridge catering a run for it's money - no pun intended :lol:

Here's "Penda" our 4 year old Cocker Spaniel (named after Penda of Mercia, the last Heathen king in England) getting used to his seat on our new Cali. He's often mistaken for another breed as we don't keep him in the traditional shaggy 'Cocker cut" - we do a lot of hill-walking and removing ticks from him is bad enough without having to get rid of heather tangles, peat or whatever. I've had 5 Cockers over the last 40 years and he's by far the most obedient and most intelligent, and a real character too!

IMG_0357x.jpg

Nice picture mate great looking dog you have :thumb we have an American cocker that
When clipped should have a skirt not practical I'm afraid so every 8 weeks he has a no2
Hope he enjoys it in the Cali as much as ours does :thumb

Meet our Califdog - Maggie the Bedlington Terrier. She loves our 'bus', it's the only vehicle she's happy to travel in and chills out nicely on the back seat! She sleeps upstairs, snuggled up to me - whilst my hubby and son sleep downstairs! All the other dogs look gorgeous and I'm sure Maggs would enjoy a mad run with them all!

holidays in uk small maggs 3.jpg

The Dachshunds loved the California.... especially the lookout tower!!

4-lookout-duty.jpg

Wolfgang Dachshund keeps lookout

5-lookout-duty-wilhelm.jpg

Wilhelm Dachshund keeps lookout

Meet Henry ( black half Labrador) and Macallum (Vizsla)) during a recent weekend trip to Brecon.

brecon2012003.jpg

Welcome Henry and Macallum, i think we have enough cali dogs now for a dog show at a future meet :)

Can't believe we got the name wrong - we have only had him for 2 years! It is Macallan, not Macallum - doh! Just found a better picture of the 2 dogs taken exactly a year ago when we were at the same camp site in Brecon.

BreconAug2011009.jpg

Here's our two. Willis & Bailey (the lab) Both off gun dog lines. Love them to bits.

Showing off:

2f1abb28c0d1d8a8f042860f5e39da94.jpg

Chilling:

6c45f4460e153868d37b787674aeda89.jpg

Hi everyone,

My name is Elle and i will be joining Cali Dogs as from the 1st September when my owners will be collecting our VW California.

I am really looking forward to all my new adventures and hopefully meeting some other Cali dogs.

Elle xx

195990_509791315701098_905010987_n[1].jpg

Back