Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Engineer/Mechanic

Yes he has said he will supply such a letter. Most likely I will be trading in at same dealer but who knows.
Personally I wouldn't worry. As I said, if it had happened a week before collection you wouldn't have been informed and would be non the wiser at pickup.

One other worry I have, would the inside cabinets, hob, sink etc have been removed to carry out such work? And if so will they be fitted and secured as good as new? Ie could they start rattling etc as they have been removed.

A good body shop will pull the dent out From the outside , there should be no reason to remove the internal equipment.
you should establish how the repair details will be carried out, which should answer your concerns

Suggest you have a convo with the dealer to determine how the repair will be effected

the damage to the fixed panels should not be visible in anyway after the repair has be carried out. If you can see even the slightest witness of the repair, reject the vehicle.

D18A1D1C-C494-4989-BC3B-8B66C89D0C00.jpeg

Last edited:
personally I would specify (make it a requirement of the deal) that the damaged panel (removable) is replaced entirely with new OEM panels & have then supply a written report on The damage & the works carried out to repair the damage with photos to back it up, together with a a written guarantee that the repair will be covered in line with VW standard paint warranty.
Very risky. That is major surgery which could open a whole other can of worms. Does the buyer really want to deal with poor welds, creaking cabinetry and fixtures, even if VW are on the hook. Personally if it was me I would be also looking at the option of a new replacement since the supply chain as speeded up considerably. I am hoping the repair can be achieved by pulling out the panels without the need for sheet metal replacement but given the location that may not be an option. Get an independent (not VW bodyshop) inspection report before anything else.

I had a torrid time when my VW Corrado was damaged whilst under the care of my local US VW dealership. It was carted off to the 'official' VW bodyshop 3 times, each time coming back with more problems such are swirl marks (it was flat black paint), residual marks from an indelible marker, orange peel issues etc. And they even managed to break the window regulator. In the end the dealership threatened to call the cops if I didn't take my car off their lot. All this after having my car for over 5 months trying to run down an electrical issue they created during a recall for the well known Corrado heater core failure. I never returned and peppered the internet and BBB with negative reviews.
I tell you it has taken a lot to jump back on the VW bandwagon with the purchase of this Cali.

I guess I’m just going to have to see what the dealer has to say tomorrow and exactly what repairs have taken place. And then make our decision. A replacement is going to take another 6 months and we really don’t want to be without this summer.

Get the name of the bodyshop who will do the work and look for reviews. I made the mistake of letting VW go with their choice of venue and paid royally.

Very risky. That is major surgery which could open a whole other can of worms. Does the buyer really want to deal with poor welds, creaking cabinetry and fixtures, even if VW are on the hook. Personally if it was me I would be also looking at the option of a new replacement since the supply chain as speeded up considerably. I am hoping the repair can be achieved by pulling out the panels without the need for sheet metal replacement but given the location that may not be an option. Get an independent (not VW bodyshop) inspection report before anything else.
The panel below the fuel flap is not a welded on panel

read my other posts !

I was focusing on the sill panel behind the flap.
Very minor, Perfectly fixable from the outside, no cutting, no welding required for a good body shop.
even if you stripped out the van as you suggest In your post you would not be able to access the void behind the sill. (“poor welds, creaking cabinetry and fixtures”). So that is not an issue in this instance If the van were to be repaired correctly

replacement is going to take another 6 months and we really don’t want to be without this summer.
Tomd from Breeze pool :

“Lead time on ocean is April/may build so you’d see June/July unless you want two tone paint as that will be towards the end of the year.”

I guess I’m just going to have to see what the dealer has to say tomorrow and exactly what repairs have taken place. And then make our decision. A replacement is going to take another 6 months and we really don’t want to be without this summer.
Honestly don't want to sound like a PITA on this but you really are making a mountain out of a only slightly larger than normal sized molehill. The repairs will be fine, just be reasonable with the dealer and make sure they are reasonable with you and go enjoy your Cali asap. Calls above to get it replaced or check the paint with a paint focused cardiograph are just scaremongering IMHO. From the picture these really are fairly basic repairs. I've seen lads in our paint shop take a 20 year old car used as a factory cleaner runaround with dents the size of your head and turn it into a brand new car almost overnight.

Suggest you have a convo with the dealer to determine how the repair will be effected

the damage to the fixed panels should not be visible in anyway after the repair has be carried out. If you can see even the slightest witness of the repair, reject the vehicle.

View attachment 104509
That’s exactly the repair that they have carried out. All work done was from the outside.

Personally I wouldn't worry. As I said, if it had happened a week before collection you wouldn't have been informed and would be non the wiser at pickup.
I picked up a brand new Mercedes A180 for my daughter and nothing was mentioned and it looked ok. But about 18 month after carefully looking after it, we found a blister starting on the rear right quarter. When I took it down to the dealer they said they would give me an estimate for repair.
They said they did not recall repairing this car before handing it to me. After a long discussion, they agreed to repair.

The guy did go round measuring the paint thickness, and probably thought we had banged it and had it repaired. It I insisted and someone must have remembered it and then agreed on the repair. Not amused anyhow.

I’ve never had anyone / a dealer ever go around with a paint thickness gauge when selling a vehicle … is this common practice, in your experience?

Otherwise agree r.e. try for compensation or freebie accessories for the inconvience.

As others have said, you would not know it’s there when it’s done and you won’t notice it at all day to day, and it’ll remain in warranty as it’s dealer repaired. Personally, I’d accept and push for compensation / freebies, but that’s me.
Might be an idea to make sure the repair is recorded on vehicle history? We had an issue with our van when taken in for some warranty work regarding sliding door, the VW work shop came along measured paint thickness and attempted to claim that unrecorded work had been undertaken and therefore this invalidated warranty on the matter of the sliding door! Fortunately I was able to convince VW that VW, or representative of VW, must have undertaken the work as the van had been in the care and control of VW at all times between build and me taking ownership. A few weeks of worry though.

Back