Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali going in for warranty work; empty it Y/N

Yorkie

Yorkie

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Brian is having his first MOT and warranty work. If he was a car I would empty everything out as it's better than complaining later.

Do you empty your pride and joy? Obviously I would leave unimportant items.

Albert goes in as he is, anything small of value taken out first.

He's a camper so it's his pride and self-esteem to look like one!

Yes.

I know it's hassle but it will give you peace of mind. I like to think that most people are honest and I am sure that is true but there are always a few that aren't.
However the main reason would be to enable the mechanics/fitters to get at everything without having to move any of your stuff first. It should'nt be an issue if it's a straight forward service but if you have any warranty work to be carried out then it's best to deliver it empty.

Last edited:
Depends on what it's in for. I would take out anything of 'value' irrespective of what it's in for. Other than that I would remove whatever is necessary to faciliate access to the part of the van they will be working on.

Mines going in for a Lube soon. Going to take absolutely everything out, Why because it needs a major tidy up after our trip to Spain it will have a good vacuum get rid of any crumbs, dust etc in all those tight little spots. Get rid of stuff that is not necessary that has accumulated after time,otherwise it becomes like a woman's handbag (risky comment I know :Iamsorry). Going in for a checkup gives me motivation to spring clean. I also polish and make it spotless going in. When the service lady comes to check for scratches scuffs etc. She can see its immaculate and I expect it to be taken care of and returned in the same way.

And then it should come back as new and ready for lots more adventures its a good feeling too.

our's stays loaded at our trusted van centre

Mines going in for a Lube soon. Going to take absolutely everything out, Why because it needs a major tidy up after our trip to Spain it will have a good vacuum get rid of any crumbs, dust etc in all those tight little spots. Get rid of stuff that is not necessary that has accumulated after time,otherwise it becomes like a woman's handbag (risky comment I know :Iamsorry). Going in for a checkup gives me motivation to spring clean. I also polish and make it spotless going in. When the service lady comes to check for scratches scuffs etc. She can see its immaculate and I expect it to be taken care of and returned in the same way.

And then it should come back as new and ready for lots more adventures its a good feeling too.
Spent this morning preparing for the garage. I was surprised how little we had put in the van. 2 Tote bags cleared out all our trinkets; Bluetooth speaker, penknives, USB chargers etc. Plus i didnt see anything i wont put back in. So all in all proud of our selection of stuff.

I did leave sleeping bags and van stuff in though. After all GrannyJen says i must give Brian some pride.

Depends on what it's in for. I would take out anything of 'value' irrespective of what it's in for. Other than that I would remove whatever is necessary to faciliate access to the part of the van they will be working on.
Its only going in for small items, like water level sensors and a niggle that the floor between the front seats feels spongy! Scared of the last one.

Its only going in for small items, like water level sensors and a niggle that the floor between the front seats feels spongy! Scared of the last one.
Is it fresh water or waste water sensors. My waste
Water sensor has never worked despite them supposedly fixing it twice.

Apart from emptying it I usually clean, leather and hoover it out before it goes in. That way it's easy to see if there are any new marks/damage when you pick it up. I also think it shows that you care about your vehicle and just might encourage the garage to take that little extra care.

I always tell them not to wash it. Our SE is shiny black and whilst I have looked after the paintwork meticulously I couldn't guarantee that it wouldn't end up being washed by some slap happy bod with a yard broom and a bucket of suds.

Thanks for the link, didnt think it was a normal thing. :bananadance2

Love to hear what your dealer is going to say once you pick it back up....
Hope he don't cut out the carpet and put a chipboard underneath....:confused:

In fact i never actually "stand" on that space ....there's a plastic storage box inbetween my seats and i always step "over "it

Is it fresh water or waste water sensors. My waste
Water sensor has never worked despite them supposedly fixing it twice.
I have never seen an indication from the waste but haven't filled it to overflowing. The clean water ran out whilst showing two bars.

our's stays loaded at our trusted van centre
Which one is your trusted van centre? Our 'Alan' is currently in Milton Keynes van centre being serviced and the water sensors being fixed (altho I have noted the other comments about them in this thread!) and it's gone in with our stuff in it. Wishing I'd emptied it out now. They've had it so long I think someone has gone on holiday in it! :/

Mine has been in now to our not so trusted dealer. I made an official complaint in writing to their chief afterwards and I am taking Brian back today so their management can look at what I am unhappy about. Picture to follow of one item:

IMG_3260.JPG
Drivers door well oily boot and brandrup carpet soiled, only cheap so will buy a new one (sarcasm)
Glass worktop scratched, cupboard door dented (a little) and one warranty item totally overlooked even though I typed a list to make sure it wasn't.

Update
Dealers asked me back. Wanted to make me happy but used the ultimate sin words "well it is out of warranty " my reply was in a different tone as my gratitude for being called back vanished. I pointed out it was in warranty both when I declared the faults and brought it in.

My tone now being different (really different) things started to happen, 5 people scampering round: roof fault sorted, a cleaner started getting oil off carpet, a new cupboard door put on order and a chap who did know stuff started to tell me why he thought my van was a good example and giving me little tips for how best to use it.

This worked for me and I came away happy; ish.

Last edited:
Back