Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended Factory Warranty?

What I don’t get with the dealers trying to deflect these claims is that there’s a good chance the customer will just not bother to get give them the work and go to a cheaper and possibly better workshop or DIY.
Surely the dealer should be grabbing any work they can get, whoever is going to pay.

What I don’t get with the dealers trying to deflect these claims is that there’s a good chance the customer will just not bother to get give them the work and go to a cheaper and possibly better workshop or DIY.
Surely the dealer should be grabbing any work they can get, whoever is going to pay.
I don't know for sure but I suspect it's all to do with internal budgets. A service department has to make profit for the dealership so anything that VW won't pay for could end up impacting on the SD's profit margin. Therefore, could it be that the easiest thing to say in the first instance is "Sorry, but it's not covered"? There's no paperwork involved, no hassle with VW over whether it's covered and profits rise higher. I don't know if this is true, but certainly from my experience it does seem plausible.

Like any insurance policy, that business relies on selling as many policies as possible then managing claims to maintain a healthy profit.

It should be trivial to make a claim or claims:
• Extended warranties offer you exactly the same level of cover as the original manufacturer warranty.
• There is no limit to the number of claims you can make, no excess and no requirement to pay and then reclaim the costs.
• All repairs will be carried out by the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles’ authorised network using genuine parts.
• The warranty is fully transferable to a new owner (and subsequent owners) should you sell, which will help to enhance the resale value.
•For any repairs, just contact any Volkswagen Van Centre.
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/c...tions/original./factory_extended_warranty.pdf

i would love to buy one of these extended warranties - don't think you can get them here in Belgium and i don't think i can buy a UK one. Anyone know?

i would love to buy one of these extended warranties - don't think you can get them here in Belgium and i don't think i can buy a UK one. Anyone know?
You have to purchase it at the time of purchasing the vehicle or within a very short time interval. I think it could also be VWUK specific.

You have to purchase it at the time of purchasing the vehicle or within a very short time interval. I think it could also be VWUK specific.
Within three months from purchase date and I don't think it's transferable.

It in my understanding is like the upfront service stays with van if sale it on

yes, i'm fairly sure it is VWUK specific. I can ask VW Guru if he will sell me one! Or maybe a service package? Hey VW Guru!

A Factory Extended Warranty (FEW) stays with the vehicle, so if you sell it on the new owner benefits from any remaining balance.

IMG_6954.jpg

Last edited:
I have not used my FEW as Van not 3 years old yet. Claims made within 3 years on warranty if not a known fault or a costly repair I am sure our van centre has had to get approval from VWUK. I am sure it would be the same with the FEW. So I do not feel it is acceptable for a van centre just to say things are not covered without checking. I know Breeze van centre were the ones who took up our just out of warranty claim with VWUK and got an 80% goodwill payment.

I think the terms of the EFW get mixed up with the insurance backed extended warranty by the dealers. The insurance one really is rubbish.
I bought the EFW on my Cali but told the dealer it was against every instinct. They were adamant its factory level not insurance level, so far untested.
I wont go into it but Skoda weazeled their way out of repairs to my sons citigo , outer door rubber split, defective aerial.
Im afraid this is corporate VAG group irrespective of the fact the EW is by a third party no doubt.

Decided not to bother, ta

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

When we purchased our Cali in September 2017 we took out the extended warranty for an extra 2 years. It took a long time to be registered by VW, but finally in the middle of January, 4½ months after our purchase, it was recorded on the VW database and I received an email from VWCS.

A few days ago I received an invitation from VW by email to extend my manufacturers warranty after the original 3 year one finished at the end of August this year.

After all the issues raised in these threads about the extended warranty not being recorded properly by VW I thought the same thing had happened to mine. I tried ringing the number given and just got the "on-hold" music and "your call is important to us". I eventually got through to switchboard and was promised a call back in 2-3 hours. That didn't happen. I rang again the following morning and got through and when I explained that I thought I already had the extended warranty I learned that what VW apparently do is pass the details on every vehicle to the warranty section at the end of 3 years, but not any details about whether they have already got the extended warranty. This means we all get a blanket email offering us the opportunity to buy the extension.

I am posting this so that if any of you are in this same situation, make sure you have something in writing from VW or your dealer to prove that you have the extended warranty.
I wonder why VW don't just send all the vehicle details to the warranty section, especially the bit about where the owners have already purchased the extended warranty.

I wonder why VW don't just send all the vehicle details to the warranty section, especially the bit about where the owners have already purchased the extended warranty.

Perhaps they'd like a few customers to over insure themselves? After all, you can't have too much insurance can you?

Just had a similar experience to @Borris. Van is 4 years old with the factory extended warranty bought at purchase. It had a failed rear interior lamp, and the blind by the sliding door had stopped rolling back up properly on one side.

Van Centre: "Sorry, the blind is not covered by extended warranty, it is "trim" which is excluded."

Me: "I thought my warranty included everything?"

Van Centre: "Extended warranty doesn't include everything. Here look at this printed list of excluded items on the all-in warranty. Cost will be £5xx including 3 hours labour"

Me: "Would it have been covered if the van was 2 years old?"

Van Centre: "yes"

Me: "Let me go check my details"

Thanks to this thread, when I phoned back and said the magic words "extended factory warranty" they completely changed their tune, and went to check, confirmed coverage, and replaced it free of charge.

The rest of the customer experience was very very good, but I'd have been charged if I'd not read the threads here and known the difference between extended warranty, all-in warranty, and extended factory warranty.

When we purchased our Cali in September 2017 we took out the extended warranty for an extra 2 years. It took a long time to be registered by VW, but finally in the middle of January, 4½ months after our purchase, it was recorded on the VW database and I received an email from VWCS.

A few days ago I received an invitation from VW by email to extend my manufacturers warranty after the original 3 year one finished at the end of August this year.

After all the issues raised in these threads about the extended warranty not being recorded properly by VW I thought the same thing had happened to mine. I tried ringing the number given and just got the "on-hold" music and "your call is important to us". I eventually got through to switchboard and was promised a call back in 2-3 hours. That didn't happen. I rang again the following morning and got through and when I explained that I thought I already had the extended warranty I learned that what VW apparently do is pass the details on every vehicle to the warranty section at the end of 3 years, but not any details about whether they have already got the extended warranty. This means we all get a blanket email offering us the opportunity to buy the extension.

I am posting this so that if any of you are in this same situation, make sure you have something in writing from VW or your dealer to prove that you have the extended warranty.
Same here. It was really hard work to get the California registered on the extended (factory) warranty, and then again on the All-In Plan.

Our Golf was even worse. I paid £300 to have a spurious ‘fault-reading’ investigated (no fault found), only for the VW software to crash and never get the car on the All-In Plan.

Dealer: “Complain to VW Financial Services”
VWFS: “We have sent your complaint to the dealer”
Dealer: radio silence
VWCS: “We have thoroughly investigated your complaint and it was explained to you that this was due to a software crash. Bad luck”

I’m not sure where to go from there. Different dealer, for sure. Section 75 to try to recover £300? Motor Ombudsman?

Same here. It was really hard work to get the California registered on the extended (factory) warranty, and then again on the All-In Plan.

Our Golf was even worse. I paid £300 to have a spurious ‘fault-reading’ investigated (no fault found), only for the VW software to crash and never get the car on the All-In Plan.

Dealer: “Complain to VW Financial Services”
VWFS: “We have sent your complaint to the dealer”
Dealer: radio silence
VWCS: “We have thoroughly investigated your complaint and it was explained to you that this was due to a software crash. Bad luck”

I’m not sure where to go from there. Different dealer, for sure. Section 75 to try to recover £300? Motor Ombudsman?
How & when did you pay

credit card ?
after the failed investigation?

How & when did you pay

credit card ?
after the failed investigation?
Yes, credit card after the failed investigation. I was willing to pay for the investigation because I was told that this was necessary to qualify for the All-In Plan. Which they were unable to initiate!

Yes, credit card after the failed investigation. I was willing to pay for the investigation because I was told that this was necessary to qualify for the All-In Plan. Which they were unable to initiate!
Take it up up with your credit card company, give them a call to go over the basics, they’ll let you know if you have a case, if you do they will credit you back the fees.

We had a five year factory warranty with our van. That lasted March 2017 to end February 2022. No warranty cover Feb 2022 to Feb 2023. End Feb 2023 we took out an all in one plan - 2 services, warranty and roadside assistance for £34.97 per month for 24 months (~£840 for two years cover).

Amarillo is in for a service, and they have found ~£1500 of things wrong all covered by warranty (and ~£1000 of things not covered by warranty).

I don’t mind paying £1000 for things like rodent damage, DSG service and a damaged rear light cluster. But a £2500 bill would have been hard to swallow.

We had a five year factory warranty with our van. That lasted March 2017 to end February 2022. No warranty cover Feb 2022 to Feb 2023. End Feb 2023 we took out an all in one plan - 2 services, warranty and roadside assistance for £34.97 per month for 24 months (~£840 for two years cover).

Amarillo is in for a service, and they have found ~£1500 of things wrong all covered by warranty (and ~£1000 of things not covered by warranty).

I don’t mind paying £1000 for things like rodent damage, DSG service and a damaged rear light cluster. But a £2500 bill would have been hard to swallow.
What were the warranty finds ?

What were the warranty finds ?

709daba8d9acf9077ef1c66eef9de9e2.jpg

This was one £701.75. Another couple were done over the phone but I didn’t pay too much attention because I’d have to pay £29 for the part but labour would be covered by warranty.

Our van is quite high mileage. Over 90,000 in nearly 7 years, so bits going wrong are to be expected.

709daba8d9acf9077ef1c66eef9de9e2.jpg

This was one £701.75. Another couple were done over the phone but I didn’t pay too much attention because I’d have to pay £29 for the part but labour would be covered by warranty.

Our van is quite high mileage. Over 90,000 in nearly 7 years, so bits going wrong are to be expected.
The windscreen washer pump was another warranty item.

The service manager said the warranty work came to over £1000 at VW cost prices, and the retail cost would have been over £1600 to me.

One thing I did pay for was a replacement rear light cluster. I chipped it when fitting the bike rack back in 2017 and over the years water had ingressed causing the indicator to malfunction. The tykes tried to charge me for a replacement cluster AND £8.10 plus VAT for a new indicator bulb.

Back