Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Leg?

RichardH

RichardH

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi All. Has anyone else had a femoral nerve problem, possibly linked with the Cali front seats? I’ve always liked the driving position and the firmness of the seats, but this year I had a two-month-long episode of pain in the front of my thigh, progressing to my knee. It started right at the end of three full days travelling (in the driver’s and front passenger’s seats). It was quite severe. My GP tells me that the signs of trapped nerves commonly follow long periods of driving and the recent VW circular about Transporter seat positioning for back health mentioned a very high incidence of back problems in van drivers. Looking online, there are plausible medical suggestions that the vibrations from the road may be a key factor (although other articles contradict this). I’m keen to avoid a recurrence. It would be interesting to know if there are more of us with the same issue and, if anyone else has had the same problem, did you find a way of stopping it coming back?

Hi All. Has anyone else had a femoral nerve problem, possibly linked with the Cali front seats? I’ve always liked the driving position and the firmness of the seats, but this year I had a two-month-long episode of pain in the front of my thigh, progressing to my knee. It started right at the end of three full days travelling (in the driver’s and front passenger’s seats). It was quite severe. My GP tells me that the signs of trapped nerves commonly follow long periods of driving and the recent VW circular about Transporter seat positioning for back health mentioned a very high incidence of back problems in van drivers. Looking online, there are plausible medical suggestions that the vibrations from the road may be a key factor (although other articles contradict this). I’m keen to avoid a recurrence. It would be interesting to know if there are more of us with the same issue and, if anyone else has had the same problem, did you find a way of stopping it coming back?
No problems for me and I have gone on a number o& Extended driving holidays to Scandinavia eg 7000 miles in 21 days - driving every day. Have done this 3 times over the past 4 years. In fact, unlike some vehicles the California has been the most comfortable to drive long distance.

I'm not a particular fan of the cali seats, especially as I've driven plenty of other vans in the past, they are not good over long distance. This is all down to your size when it comes to comfort. The last van I drove on a daily bases was a new sprinter and that was quite nice.
I've been thinking about swapping the seats for something better, the seats in my old Octy Vrs were really comfy, though have thought the fabia monte carlo ones might work. Just need to find a cheap one to tinker with.

No problems for me and I have gone on a number o& Extended driving holidays to Scandinavia eg 7000 miles in 21 days - driving every day. Have done this 3 times over the past 4 years. In fact, unlike some vehicles the California has been the most comfortable to drive long distance.
Just did 7000km in one month in Scotland, from Barcelona. Comfortable, no problems.

I’ve found a few key things are essential to good driving health/comfort for me- and are part of my vehicle selection process!

- My hip needs to be at the same level or higher than my knee. So no bucket seats or equivalent as this puts too much pressure on my lower back. Vans are perfect for this - one of the reasons I like the transporters. The fully adjustable seats in my caravelle are slightly better than the Cali- but not hugely different.

- Make sure that I’m sitting straight upright and not leaning left on to the arm rest or right on the door. Bending over to either side for extended periods again causes discomfort. Pressure in the lower back can trap nerves that run down the leg- unpleasant!

- DSG and ACC are game changers for long distance comfort as both reduce the load on feet/ankles/legs etc. Allow stretching and movement of either leg regularly.

Obviously regularly stopping, stretching and keeping hydrated are key as well!

Yes, I’ve been very happy with ours for 70,000 miles, including lots of long tours. This has been a new problem for me. Just thought it might be interesting to see if there are others affected. Sitting in the driver’s seat now, after a two day drive to Calais from near Biaritz. Twinges again, so it’s not altogether gone away. None while driving (sat on a cushion on the front seat).

Most I've done, and would want to, is about 400 miles in one go. A couple of stops along the way and plenty of stretching help.
In the Vrs I could do that twice over in a day and not feel as bad.
For me the seat doesn't offer enough support under the legs and the base could do with being slightly longer. I'm only 6' so no giant.
Old ford seats used to be great but the new ones have changed and are shorter on the leg.

Personal level of fitness could be a factor.
Every time I use the California, it‘s a 300 miles journey minimum. I‘m reasonably fit and not overweight, 5‘9“, I find the California ok-ish... My Q7 is way more comfortable, as I can adjust the seat really a million ways.
Since I never swivel my seat backwards as I need one seat left facing fwd for my daughter to climb upstairs (I have a LHD)with hindsight I should have specced a Comfort but not swiveling seat when I ordered it.

I personally like the driving position and have no issues with the driving position. Prefer getting up into the van than getting down into a normal car.

Do you keep a wallet in your back trouser pocket ? Could cause you to sit slightly off centre.

Same problem exactly. No difficulties in other vehicle with electric, memory seats. Would be great if such seats available for the Cali driver, whilst retaining a passenger rotating seat. The driving position and seat firmness are good, but the pain isn't.

Same problem exactly. No difficulties in other vehicle with electric, memory seats. Would be great if such seats available for the Cali driver, whilst retaining a passenger rotating seat. The driving position and seat firmness are good, but the pain isn't.
My commiserations. It’s not nice at all. In my experience, most painful conditions such as fractures respond to big doses of Ibuprofen and Paracetamol, but they barely touched this for the first four weeks. Have you had any recurrence / changed your driving position? I think that using a cushion to bring my hips up to the same height as my knees is helping me, but it’s too soon to be sure.

From my reading around the subject a trapped femoral nerve is much less common than a trapped sciatic nerve. There are no reports of Cali-linked sciatica on the forum. Two cases of femoral nerve damage is probably not enough to be significant, even in this relatively small sample, but it’s interesting. Any more to come?

Thanks to other posters for the helpful feedback and suggestions. FYI I always transfer my card wallet to a front pocket when driving. I am also 5ft 9in, quite fit and not overweight, although at 67 I am no longer as young as I used to be. I haven’t had problems after or while driving my Golfs (GT Sport, now GTE).

Do you guys have pain in the right or left leg? Could it be maybe linked to the way one holds the right foot up in tension in order two regulate the gas pedal. Given the seat position, the leg comes almost straight down at 90degrees , the nerves are more stretched compare to a regular car with a lower seat position and legs angled down to the feet much more gently and nerve more relaxed... not sure

Nice one! Thanks for the laugh out loud start to the day.

Do you guys have pain in the right or left leg? Could it be maybe linked to the way one holds the right foot up in tension in order two regulate the gas pedal. Given the seat position, the leg comes almost straight down at 90degrees , the nerves are more stretched compare to a regular car with a lower seat position and legs angled down to the feet much more gently and nerve more relaxed... not sure
Right. Good suggestion. I use cruise control a lot but that still leaves a significant amount of pedal time.

I was diagnosed with a similar problem a few years back and my GP put it down to the rather thick belt I was wearing at work which was constantly pressing into my leg causing the damage to the nerves. Maybe food for thought.

Funny you should mention this. Last year had 8 hour journey in the Cali to South Devon for my Auntie’s funeral. Then stood up all day then next day an 8 hour journey back with just a splash and dash stop due to getting to kennels to retrieve the dog. Huge pain in right leg around the knee. Eventually diagnosed as osteoarthritis. Just had a partial knee replacement but only after a week of 4 hour plus driving every day in the Cali. The surgeon tells me he accidentally cut through this particular nerve and I now have no feeling at the front of the knee. What has helped is a medical grade black sheepskin rectangle over the edge of the seat and to sit on. Experiment with the ergonomics of your seat adjustment too. Frequent stops...don’t go over 2 hours without a proper stop and walking around/stretching out/exercising not just swopping the Cali for a chair in motorway services. Good luck

It is recommended that a driver takes a break every 2 hrs maybe a stretch or two would help?

Back