Cali myths

2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Prompted by my experience with my new Ocean and a debate tonight about wallowing suspension, I thought I'd ask about Cali Myths, and see if we could get a list going. Here's one for starters :

1) electric sliding doors are noisy: I've gone from manual side door on my T5 to an electric slider in my T6. I wouldn't have specced it based on what I've read & heard (that they are noisy on campsites) but that's how it came.
Actually it is much quieter than the swoosh-bang-zip of the manual door. The electronic beeping is hardly audible and the close is much quieter.
Hopefully it will also be trouble free (making their unreliability another Cali myth). If it starts playing up in the middle of the night, my shouting obscenities may wake a few campers.

What other myths have you discovered?

Last edited:
That 4 Motions sag at the rear.
VW technical drawings show that wheel arch is higher on the front compared to the back. So in fact if you adjust the suspension to get rid of this “ cosmetic “ effect then your vehicle ends up Nose Down.

That a Beach is s camper van?

.......only joking......:upsidedown

That 4 Motions sag at the rear.
VW technical drawings show that wheel arch is higher on the front compared to the back. So in fact if you adjust the suspension to get rid of this “ cosmetic “ effect then your vehicle ends up Nose Down.

Interesting one. I do like a suspension conundrum.

Front arches need to accommodate a wheel in steer as well as bump, hence the larger clearance.
Any rake in the setup is probably an optical illusion.

Anyway, back to the thread.

Never heard of "Cali myths" , just use it and enjoy !

That you can ever again put back the grey plastic cover to the 'through-load' space, once you've removed it.

EVER.

That you can ever again put back the grey plastic cover to the 'through-load' space, once you've removed it.

EVER.

Are you challenging me ?
:D

Mythology has it that the California was once available to order and buy new from an International network of VW dealerships. :)

Last edited:
That all Cali's on factory springs wallow....

Maybe new Oceans do due to the extra weight but my 2017 Beach does not. But I do have 18" Wheels and wide tyres.

That all Cali's on factory springs wallow....

Maybe new Oceans do due to the extra weight but my 2017 Beach does not. But I do have 18" Wheels and wide tyres.
This was the one I referred to in my initial post. I'm on my second (modern) Cali. The first handled really well so I thought it must have had some upgrades, but my new one is just the same.

I guess it depends what your 'other' or 'previous' drive was.

This was the one I referred to in my initial post. I'm on my second (modern) Cali. The first handled really well so I thought it must have had some upgrades, but my new one is just the same.

I guess it depends what your 'other' or 'previous' drive was.

Yes I am not sure that's the case either I drive all manner of Prestige Cars in my business and IMHO the Cali handles great for what is essentially a very comfortable and well engineered Van.

OK, that was a giggle about lowering (or not). Any other myths?

Back