Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali or an F type

Here's the difference between the two options:

Here's a shiny new F type
IMG_6538.jpg

Whilst here's a beautiful Cali
IMG_6539.jpg

There's a limit to the fun you can have with a stick of chalk but oh what joy you'll get from a lump of versatile delicious cheese!

The one in the top left corner looks like it started as a custard yellow but the owners saw the light & had it wrapped in black.

Hi Mo
What’s your impression S of the jag?
Greg
Hi Greg - I absolutely love it - it growls and snarls and pops when you want it to, and cruises very comfortably when you want it to. I also park it far away in a car park, because I still love walking towards it and admiring it - it's a great looking car and still not many about.

I quite like the GT86.
If they stick some more horses in there, it would be a riot.
We have the Subaru version (BRZ). You’re right. It would be a riot! 200 bhp is quite enough (did I just say that?) especially with the skinny tyres they put on it.

We have the Subaru version (BRZ). You’re right. It would be a riot! 200 bhp is quite enough (did I just say that?) especially with the skinny tyres they put on it.

I get that actually.
You can thrash it out. I like the styling too. It’s not OTT.

It's funny. It is only before you have a Cali, this question is relevant … after, the question would never occur :)

Well went to my dealer today, discussed a spec and he’s emailing me a quote and we are meeting week next Saturday.

My thought process after reading all the above is that the Cali will better support my hobbies and leisure and that is more important than being the ideal car for work (parking in city centres etc)

Thanks again to everyone for their kind and helpful comments- this really is a brilliant forum.

I will let you know if I place an order and spec etc
:cheers

I quite like the GT86.
If they stick some more horses in there, it would be a riot.
Test drove a gt86 as well and they are brilliant handling - but you do need to keep the revs high as the engine is a bit underpowered for the chassis.

Test drove a gt86 as well and they are brilliant handling - but you do need to keep the revs high as the engine is a bit underpowered for the chassis.

Wouldn’t mind a cheap used one for track days. I hear they are very reliable and good fun on the track.

Imagine they made one with similar power to something like a Golf R 300bhp.

One is a car and the other is a lifestyle.

Our next door neighbour has an f type and gave me a lift to the station a couple of minutes away, a journey of multiple speed humps. man what a hard ride i wa happy to get out of the car so cant thing it would be much fun for several hours.

if yiu really are going to be spending a lot of time on the morotrway, and needing to park in towns etc i would aim for comfort plus driving pleasure, a bmw x3 or x5 for instance.

Our next door neighbour has an f type and gave me a lift to the station a couple of minutes away, a journey of multiple speed humps. man what a hard ride i wa happy to get out of the car so cant thing it would be much fun for several hours.

if yiu really are going to be spending a lot of time on the morotrway, and needing to park in towns etc i would aim for comfort plus driving pleasure, a bmw x3 or x5 for instance.

Err, that's comparing apples and pears. The Jag F-type is a sports coupe, not a crossover. I haven't driven one but I'd completely expect it to have a firm ride!

Err, that's comparing apples and pears. The Jag F-type is a sports coupe, not a crossover. I haven't driven one but I'd completely expect it to have a firm ride!

Maybe, the nature of the original question compares apples and pears. My point being neither seems like the ideal car for what he wants to do.

I am guilty as anybody of buying a car with the heart, as they are both desirable vehicles. Cars like jaguar f types have a lot of owners because after a while the compromises start to grate. Likewise if you are not wedded to the idea of going camping every weekend I am not sure a California is the best idea either....no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_3005.JPG As someone fortunate enough to own both of these vehicles I can confirm that they are as different as chalk and cheese and both are 100% fantastic in doing what they are designed for. The F Type is a sensational drive and drop dead gorgeous to look at. The Cali is also (in my opinion) drop dead gorgeous to look at and drives as well as any high end SUV. But if push came to shove and one of them had to go it would be bye bye F Type. I've attached a picture showing both vehicles in their natural environment...

Not quite an F-type, but I have a (now aging) Jag XF as well as the Cali and my wife's XC60. Jag and Cali both much loved (Volvo less so!), and totally failed on the 3 vehicles into 2 which was the plan two years ago...

TBH, should sell the Jag - used Cali daily for a month before Xmas with no issues - but can't quite bring myself to forgo the comfort, power, beautifully sorted RWD chassis etc.

With regard to compromises of a Cali, it's actually much easier to park than the Jag (which has reverse cam) due to the incredible lock, sheer sides and short overhangs. Not many car parks it won't fit either.
On the motorway, it's supremely comfortable in a see over the traffic, no hurry, noisier way than the Jag. The compromise is really getting to the motorway over our bumpy, twisting country roads.

Perhaps we'll pull off the 3 to 2 trick soon - iPace anyone?

:agreed

I'm just going out to clear my garage. I may be sometime!

Thats not the only garage is it, OMG the F type even has its own slippers.

IMG_9588.JPG Hahaa, thanks for noticing my tidy garage. It was a labour of love, or necessity actually as it had reached 'critical mess' and I couldn't bear it any longer. For comparison, here it is a year ago. Note the Jag wasn't a Jag then.

Hi all please dont hate me or think I’m pretensious.
Well, hate is too strong a word, but,
FFS. This thread has given me an itch and i
think i need to scratch it. :)

It´s gonna be the 340ps one, I´m just
thinking about which colour. :headbang:headbang:headbang

Back