Cali Purchase - Month 1....

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi Everyone

We've had a busy weekend :)

We had been looking forward to Saturday as it was the first time we'd actually stepped foot inside an Ocean (or SE) California. @Salty helped us a great deal when we were in Cornwall showing us round is amazing Beach though.

Steve + Leicester VW spent 3 hours with us talking through what people usually buy, explaining everything and being very patient! He gelled with us straight away by saying 'are you at month 1 or month 18 of the thought process around the california'!! We are month 1 for sure :). He certainly knew that it takes time to sell these in most cases.

So, a nice specced white Ocean 150 manual awaited us in the showroom to look round. Wow, it's lovely. Both Sarah and I loved it at first sight and the new grey interior on the T6 is lovely too. It had the fancy under cupboard lighting (and in cupboard too) which just set it off really well.

We managed to get a quick drive in a 150 Manual (what we were thinking would be ideal for us) but it was a Beach so maybe just slightly lighter weight. It drove much better than we were both expecting. Just like driving a tour an or high up estate car. Yes you can feel the weight in it as it goes over bumps but it really is a good drive, if a little sluggish when doing 50-70 on the motorway.

So with much playing with the configurator, we're thinking along the lines of:

204 Manual Ocean - White (204 will be our luxury on this if we can stretch to it)
LED lights + auto high beam (we live in a dark rural village, so always buy the best lights possible)
Front+Rear Parking Sensors + Camera (didn't really want the camera but.. if we have a towbar bike carrier then I think this might be useful?)
Composition Media Radio + App Connect (his recommendation, we tested it and it was great with CarPlay)
Awning in Black
Shower Connection (we have a dog and thought this might be useful for rising off paws etc?)
LED Under cupboard lighting (looks fancy and we really liked it!)
Bed Extension with Comfort Sleeping Mat (is this the best option or are we better off leaving this off and getting an aftermarket one?)
Lockable storage compartment
Cruise Control
Magnetic Flashlight (can anyone show me what this is?!)
Towbar (for a bike rack later - what does towbar prep give you though???)
Tinted Rear Windows

So quite a spec really - roughly 60.5k, so quite a lot of saving to do!!

We have debated DSG (and adaptive cruise), we've had both options before on various cars and because this won't be a daily driver we felt that the manual will be fine. The manual box was surprisingly good to drive actually!

We could live with the 150 engine in reality, but given what we are spending both my wife and I like to have fast cars so this might just feel a bit pedestrian without the 204, so that's what is in our minds.

We wanted to get through this initial spec stage so we know what we're shooting for with our finances, and it will take us about 12 months from now to be in a position where we have what we need - maybe slightly sooner, but it means that we will probably be ordering March/April time next year.

Sorry for the long post, it's all VERY exciting.

We've got a diary now where we're writing down all of the events we want to go to, and also where we would have used 'Whipsy' (yes it has a name already). We're also going to do a charity fundraising style money thermometer for our fridge for our savings !! Pathetic really, we're both nearly 40!!

Oh - and we've booked a rental van (T6 150) from LTH in Leicester for Friday 13th October for the weekend. Going to Whitby / that coastal area too.

This feels like the start of a fantastic journey

Having never owned a automatic and by default ended up with a DSG on our 1st camper in 2012.
Without DSG would be a deal breaker for me - the best add extra on a Cali (in my view)

I've never really enjoyed DSG on previous cars but I wouldn't be without it on my Cali, if I were to order again, it would be the first thing on my list.

The magnetic flashlight is a small torch located on the rear of the drivers seat base. I don't think I have ever used mine.

Also, keep a close eye on delivery times, ordering March / April time may mean you do not receive it till Late summer, missing some of the best months of the year.

IMG_1325.PNG

Last edited:
Welcome!
When we specced up our Ocean, we did not bother with locking cabinet (not very secure) or magnetic flashlight (you get a little LED torch in the dash).

Tow bar prep allows a third party to fit towbar later- if you think you want a towbar, get the factory one- it's fair value.

We bought the ACC and love it. We're happy with the 150 engine but would not be without DSG. That and ACC make for very relaxed long distance cruising.

We did not get the vw mat and bought a zonesleep instead, which we're happy with.

Shower connection is a very expensive option; you can buy an accessory from the club shop to attach a hose to the tap, which you can lead out of the window for dog washing.

Whatever options you choose, I'm sure you'll be very happy. All Calis are very well equipped, most extras are "icing on the cake"

Charles

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Thanks everyone - regarding the DSG - why is it seen as such an essential? Both my wife and I have had manuals, DSG/double clutches and the 8 speed ZF auto boxes and we're really not fussed.

Obviously we don't want to make it such an odd-ball spec that it would be hard to sell in the future but I just want to understand why the love of DSG in the Cali so much??

Thanks everyone - regarding the DSG - why is it seen as such an essential? Both my wife and I have had manuals, DSG/double clutches and the 8 speed ZF auto boxes and we're really not fussed.

Obviously we don't want to make it such an odd-ball spec that it would be hard to sell in the future but I just want to understand why the love of DSG in the Cali so much??
We hired a manual T5 Cali prior to purchase and the only flaw we thought was the amount of gear changing necessary when travelling on A roads/in town. I had never driven a DSG until our cancelled order T6 arrived, together with the ACC makes for supremely relaxed driving in all circumstances, the coasting function must also help on the fuel consumption. (probably)

If you are seriously considering the 204 engine then make sure you test drive one to be sure it will live up to your expectations.

DSG all the way. So easy compared with the manual especially in traffic or around town.

It won't be an oddball at all...There are
Many Californias that are not dsg..
I prefer manual but that's me..iv had a dsg and manual and I think yep it's relaxed with a dsg. but driving is something I enjoy... driving on a long journey you need something to keep you awake at the wheel.
get what you want not what you think others want
Ours we have on order is pretty much the same spec as you mentioned detachable towbar,safe, shower, f&r sensors inc camera,app connect better wheels,all season 235 tires,privacy glass ,black awning,cruse control, (not adaptive) I was tempted by the led lights but there a very expensive extra and also by 4motion too but will I ever need 4 wheel drive ?i hope not. ...also the 150ps in candy white too

We also hired from LTH as they were the most local place to us with Californias to rent. They only had 2 but one was available when we wanted it. Rob was very friendly and helpful.

The white Cali at Leicester is probably still the one that LTH ordered. Rob said there had been a delay with the delivery so they ended up with a different van - a red T6, so possibly the one you are having. We were given the blue T5. Both of their vans are manual and 140bhp for economy. Personally I don't like white vehicles so we didn't go to Leicester to look at the van they had. We did talk to the guy from the van centre on the phone. We had a long conversation about spec, price, essentials, non-essentials etc. He was to come back to us with some suggestions and prices. Never heard from him again!

Mine is fairly loaded with options MY 17 (204x4 DSG) but the one thing I would spec now but couldn't at the time, would be the larger 80l fuel tank. Is that still an option?

I think your spec looks good. I was forced to get a DSG as my wife only has an auto licence but wouldn't go back now. ACC and DSG are pretty good match LEDs are good too.

.. message ends..

Thanks for the replies everyone - encouraging stuff.

It is the red T6 from LTH that we've booked as we wanted to specifically try the T6 as that is what we're looking at getting.

Re the difference in performance and economy between a 150 and 204, the 150 Beach we drove just felt lacking a bit in the 50-70 bracket, like changing lanes on a motorway required a gear change to be safe etc. Does the 204 make this area of performance better or is it more about revving it more for the performance?

Also - if the black awning is specified (ie the £400ish option), is that it or is there something else that is needed to be able to put a slide on awning in a rail (with the awning shut, obviously) if we wanted to later on? Does the factory awning come with the groove somewhere?

I'm also quite taken with the little tailgate spoiler that goes on the top. Seen it on a few tailgate T6 vans, is it a dealer fit option? Anyone had one priced up??

Thanks for the replies everyone - encouraging stuff.
Re the difference in performance and economy between a 150 and 204, the 150 Beach we drove just felt lacking a bit in the 50-70 bracket, like changing lanes on a motorway required a gear change to be safe etc. Does the 204 make this area of performance better or is it more about revving it more for the performance?
That is interesting, is that version 6 speed? I have a 114 5 speed and that's definitely lacking between 40 and 50 but I find it amazingly good on the motorway once I am over 60. I never felt any need to overtake in a lower gear but that may be because I only have 5.

Ultimately it depends on what your used to driving and remembering that the Cali is a fairly heavy van.

That is interesting, is that version 6 speed? I have a 114 5 speed and that's definitely lacking between 40 and 50 but I find it amazingly good on the motorway once I am over 60. I never felt any need to overtake in a lower gear but that may be because I only have 5.

It is a 6 speed - both the 150 and 204. Maybe the if i drove the 150 in 5th on the motorway it would be fine!!

I think the 204 is probably the right one for us as my wife's daily car is an Audi S1 and mine is a BMW M140i - so we do like our rapid transport. We clearly know that any Cali is not a performance vehicle, but we do want to be able to make progress if required.

I haven't driven a manual for about 40 years, other than my TVR toy (5l Chimaera) until I picked up a hire Cali. It was hell but that was me driving a truck with a gearbox that I've long forgotten existed.

Just remember, when you make loads and loads of plans, the statement, "the first casualty of war is the plan". So it is with a cali, as soon as you get the keys you get the keys to the most impromptu lifestyle where nothing is ever done the same twice :D

Just remember, when you make loads and loads of plans, the statement, "the first casualty of war is the plan". So it is with a cali, as soon as you get the keys you get the keys to the most impromptu lifestyle where nothing is ever done the same twice :D

Ahh yes.. but at the moment (and for the next 12 months or more) a plan is all I have to cling to, helping keep me sane!!

It better be worth the long haul I'm about to embark upon! The only other time I've saved for that long was for my old 911 Turbo.

That was a proper disappointment, but thats another story.

I was going for the 150 then drove the manual and thought it was a bit under powered so decided on the 204, however just before I ordered I got a test drive in a DSG 150 which seemed a lot quicker, mainly because it will drop 2 or 3 gears if needed without you noticing to wring out every ounce of performance so that's what I went for. I think the 150 suits the character of the Cali really well.

Ref DSG +ACC, I would not be without this now. If you are tall the Cali driving position is a little cramped, especially if you have to have your feet hovering over the pedals. The benefit of DSG+ACC is you can tuck your feet under the pedals on long journeys which is much more comfortable.

Interesting that it feels quicker with DSG in the 150.

I had a Audi S3 with S-Tronic (DSG basically) and Adaptive Cruise and do remember how well that worked. Does the Cali ACC do stop-go traffic too? The Audi allowed you to go right down to a stop and it would pull away within 3 seconds if it could, but if not you just needed to tap the accelerator or pull the lever to wake it up to go again.

Thinking about it.. I have just ordered my next daily driver, another BMW i3 Rex, and I have ordered that with Adaptive Cruise... Maybe I need to be thinking 150 DSG with ACC for the Cali, rather than just the bigger engine... Hmmm...

ACC is excellent in slow traffic. It has done "emergency braking" on me twice now- pays for itself. Makes motorway driving in congested traffic very relaxing. Agree with the comments on how DSG suits 150. I find it has very lively acceleration when needed (takes a lot of fuel to push 3 tons quickly to speed!)

Charles

Interesting that it feels quicker with DSG in the 150.

I had a Audi S3 with S-Tronic (DSG basically) and Adaptive Cruise and do remember how well that worked. Does the Cali ACC do stop-go traffic too? The Audi allowed you to go right down to a stop and it would pull away within 3 seconds if it could, but if not you just needed to tap the accelerator or pull the lever to wake it up to go again.

Thinking about it.. I have just ordered my next daily driver, another BMW i3 Rex, and I have ordered that with Adaptive Cruise... Maybe I need to be thinking 150 DSG with ACC for the Cali, rather than just the bigger engine... Hmmm...

150 DSG Cali is our daily driver, including a good uphill stint on the motorway. I've not once felt it's underpowered, will easily pop out into the outside lane up to 80 (and would comfortably go higher if needed) to get round and nip back in again.

Mine is fairly loaded with options MY 17 (204x4 DSG) but the one thing I would spec now but couldn't at the time, would be the larger 80l fuel tank. Is that still an option?

I think your spec looks good. I was forced to get a DSG as my wife only has an auto licence but wouldn't go back now. ACC and DSG are pretty good match LEDs are good too.

.. message ends..
Ours is coming on Friday with the 80ltr fuel tank.

150 DSG Cali is our daily driver, including a good uphill stint on the motorway. I've not once felt it's underpowered, will easily pop out into the outside lane up to 80 (and would comfortably go higher if needed) to get round and nip back in again.
Yes but is your other car an M140i? Those cars are seriously rapid and if you were to compare a Cali to one you would think it was totally gutless.

Yes but is your other car an M140i? Those cars are seriously rapid and if you were to compare a Cali to one you would think it was totally gutless.

Don't even know what an M140 looks like!