Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Purchase - Month 1....

Don't worry everyone, I'm not trying to compare my M140i to the California. Two very different beasts!! I have seen the YouTube video of a T6 with the 5 pot Audi RS3 engine in though... that is very rapid for a van.

Anyway - sounds like the DSG might just transform the 150 engine into being what we are looking for. It's a holiday vehicle at the end of the day, not a sports car, but will just want to make sure it doesn't feel really slow.

I've emailed them at Leicester to see what other T6's they have around that I can try out.

Welcome!

Lots of good advice here as always.

DSG is awesome. Period. I have the 204 DSG and on a recent trip to The Lakes (a 340+ mile drive just to get there) having the DSG on the motorway made it effortless, but it really came into its own when driving the very hilly terrain once in The Lakes. And, as I’m sure others have said, it isn’t simply like driving an Auto. The gear changes are so quiet and effortless you hardly realise its even happening. Brilliant.

Adaptive Cruise. Again, awesome. And, makes it a safer drive in my view. Having a vehicle that brakes on its own is a bit weird at first but frankly I wouldn’t be without it now. It will come to a complete stop if you come off a slip road for example (provided there is a vehicle in front!) which takes a bit of getting used to. But, there’s always an idiot on the M25 who pulls out in front of you just as you blink, the Cali will sense that before you do and brake, potentially saving your life. I use mine all the time, even around town. Also very handy for those very tedious 50mph limits on the M1.....

Factory fit towbar (removable) Much cheaper and easier to fit ‘at birth’ than an aftermarket version, and a good resale option. For a couple of hundred quid seems daft not to.

HD Anti-roll bars and 30mm lowering springs, in my opinion, make for a much smoother and ‘grounded’ drive. Feels like I’m driving an estate car rather than a ‘van’.

Heated front windscreen, no brainer for me as I’m way to short to reach the top of the screen with a scraper unless I stand on the front wheels! And, frankly, life is way too short to be faffing about with a scraper when its minus 2 outside.

MF Steering wheel. Again, just makes my life easier. And it looks nice!

It's horses for courses, we all have different needs/wants. For me it was about getting the best and enjoyable drive (my Cali is my daily driver), making it as safe as possible, with of course, the odd ‘toy’!

If there was one thing I would have that I didn’t specify, it would be the LED lights. However, they are stupidly expensive so I flatly refused to pay for them. I still argue with myself over that one mind!!

Whatever you decide, its an awesome vehicle to drive, you’ll love it whatever you choose :)

Don't worry everyone, I'm not trying to compare my M140i to the California. Two very different beasts!! I have seen the YouTube video of a T6 with the 5 pot Audi RS3 engine in though... that is very rapid for a van.

Anyway - sounds like the DSG might just transform the 150 engine into being what we are looking for. It's a holiday vehicle at the end of the day, not a sports car, but will just want to make sure it doesn't feel really slow.

I've emailed them at Leicester to see what other T6's they have around that I can try out.
I drive a 140SE my other car is an Audi SQ5, I find that when I get in the Cali I have to enter a different head space with regard to my driving. Something along the lines of chilled cruiser enjoying the elavated driving position checking out the view rather than my normal in car style.

Remember the T6 150 dsg is 7 speed so could only be doing 1500 rpm at 60 mph ! Which is prob why it feels strange accelerating on motorway ,also may have had coasting function selected.have also found my 150 keeps getting faster as it wears in (3000 miles now ) although the ecu gradually adapts to your driving style as well.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks @KatyCherry. It was a 150 manual we test drove, so I suspect that the combination of the 6 speed box (ie not 7 speed) and when we were testing the pulling power on the motorway we just had it in 6th and didn't downchange would be the issue.

I started to float the idea last night to Sarah that a 150 DSG with Adaptive Cruise might be a really nice compromise, rather than having a manual 204 with normal cruise.

We need to drive a 150 DSG to see what it is like. I suspect it will be really great and a good middle ground.

Thanks @KatyCherry. It was a 150 manual we test drove, so I suspect that the combination of the 6 speed box (ie not 7 speed) and when we were testing the pulling power on the motorway we just had it in 6th and didn't downchange would be the issue.

I started to float the idea last night to Sarah that a 150 DSG with Adaptive Cruise might be a really nice compromise, rather than having a manual 204 with normal cruise.

We need to drive a 150 DSG to see what it is like. I suspect it will be really great and a good middle ground.
Hi, yeah sorry just 're read your thread maybe on a manual 6th gear is stupid high like 7th on the dsg! Think DSG on a camper realy is best way to go when you imagine a 7+hour drive to say Cornwall stuck in traffic all day and then having to set up once there (although I am compairing to driving a splitty!) If it's a only used loaded up for camping then 150 DSG IS perfect with plenty of power, or if your daily drive is mainly motorways. I'm kinda thinking I might chip mine to 200 ish once out of waranty (had a 174 DSG passat sport before!)as although it's fast top end it's still prob like a 100 bhp passat on acceleration and I have 24 roundabouts in 17 miles dual carageway on way to work!
I'm also gonna lower it prob 40mm and maybee uprated anti roll bar + fit larger low profile tyres as stock it just doesn't like going round corners, my (modified) splitty handled a lot better! Plus commercial tyres just don't grip or stick very well!
As far as options are concerned parking heater is an absolute must tow bar and camera is brill if you tow! app connect for Spotify etc with sat nav is good also loads of usbs for phone charging are brill (have 3 kids)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've not driven the 150 but I have heard/read that the 150 is a lot like the older 180 in characteristics. I don't think you will be disappointed with the 150 and DSG. It has a little less torque but whether us normal drivers can feel the difference I suspect not.

I like the ACC it does help I use it in all the speed zones to make sure that I am doing the correct speed, 20,30,40 etc. where ever there may be a camera.

ACC does go down to 0 mph and then you have to apply the brake and disengage but once you move off again simply blip the RES (restore) and off you go again in traffic. I constantly re-adjust mine so I'm only have it set 5-10 mph above the speed of the traffic. So if I'm in a 60/70 and the traffic slows to 40 for a long period of time due to rubber necking or similar, I tend to reduce the setting to 45-50. Once past the congestion I click it back to cruising altitude.

There are additional settings for the cruise too, ECON, Normal and Sport, this is how aggressive it restores to the set speed. Have mine set on ECON as it reacts a bit more how I would drive. My last car just dropped a gear and got you there as quick as it could.
Its not perfect but if you read the manual you will quickly get use to it.

..message ends..

All sounds good to me. I think I'd forgo the extra BHP and torque on the 204 for more toys, like ACC and the premium multi function display in the dash

I think it's very important not to think of a Cali as a sports car. Any almost 3 ton, 2m tall vehicle is not going to cause a sensation on Top Gear! All the Calis are, however, comfortable and competent long-distance cruisers. If that's what you're looking for, you'll not go far wrong

Charles

Maybe this seems strange, but I actually don´t fancy the Adaptive Cruise Control that much. Have it on my Sharan right now and great idea but it almost constantly is slightly annoying at the highway and slows me down in the wrong moment. That plus I really really miss my auxiliary lights in the dark part of the year - the ACC makes it impossible to mount anything around the VW logo sadly... BUT - It HAS saved me from accidents in slow traffic, so yes it´s a great thing :)
Is it possible to re-set it to plain old Cruise Control-something..? Don´t think so.

Rear camera with sensor is AWESOME - but in the specific case with bicycles on your towbar, you won´t see much and there will be a high alert signal that says you´re very very close to something. Which of course, is very true ;)

It's probably only me that thinks it's cool, but the DSG auto-blips the throttle on downshifts when it's in sport mode!

I'm obviously a control freak as I won't have an automatic. Even on my old FTO it was one of the only manual ones in the country. I have driven Zebedee around Europe quite happily and have always thought he had plenty to give if needed to get me out if a sticky situation. I also like the expression on people's faces when this "van" suddenly zooms away. Also I came to Zebedee after many years driving sports cars and a brief sojourn with a disabled access Sharan (to take Mum's wheelchair). I now would not buy a vehicle without heated seats. The parking heater is great. We do a lot if driving in rural France in winter and I just have the ordinary lights and have found them ok. Don't really use the safe. Cruise control a bit wasted. Have the MFSW but could easily live without it. Cupboard lights would be useful. Also an extra plug socket if available as my daughter and I fight over who is charging their various devices. Good luck choosing. Also have you thought about putting down a deposit so the Cali starts getting built whilst you save then you could get it for the Spring/ early Summer to make the most of next year. Have to admit once we made the decision to buy we got an ex demo which had everything on it we wanted rather than wait!