Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Topper - looks tricky?

P

Paulyc

First few outings of the season coming up and given the recent weather, am thinking of getting a Cali Topper. Last year we had several nights of very wet and windy camping and our two boys sleep up in the roof, so I think it would've come in handy. I'm wondering though how hard it is to put on and take off - I looked on-line at some photo's and it looks a bit tricky.

Feedback from people who've got one is much appreciated :)

Paul

I must admit had my Cali almost a year and never used one ,so couldn't help you on that one,but there's others that can ..:)

I have a Khyam Cozi Kamper which I needed to put on for the first time last weekend in the dark and rain!!.. went on better than it came off!!... it was so wet and wild when removing, it became a nightmare to then store this massive wet thing!!

Its bag (made of the same material) did quite a good job of containing the worst of the water temporarily but don't leave it in your cali too long... because the water will come through the bag seams eventually!!.

Having said all that, it did what it was supposed to do and we had a dry night and managed to keep the bellows completely dry, even though it was lashing down when taking it all down!

Only draw back I found was that we had significantly more condensation!!

The topper has been drying all week in my garage at home!!

From what I remember the material that the cali topper is made from is totally different to the camper cozi and is water repellent and it does not absorb any moisture. In the tests we did any water that came into contact with it just formed droplets which could be wiped off with a cloth.

These fears are why we went with (the admittedly expensive) Brandrup Isotop. Fit and forget :)

Simon

The outer fabric certainly repels water, but has a felt internal material presumably to avoid damage to the painted roof... in the extreme conditions last weekend, it was necessary to lay the topper on the ground waterproof side down, while we carefully lowered the roof trying to avoid damp on the bellows, the topper got very wet inside indeed, and due to the felt retained most of that water while we packed it away. I suppose the solution is to only remove the topper when the rain stops, but it rained where we were for 16 straight hours last weekend, and so ideal was out the window. :sad

The Cali-topper uses a different way to attach it than the cosi so is much easier to get on and off

I am reading this post with interest as I sold my cosi for the self same reason as mentioned above the fact it wasn't waterproof and was bulky to put away it also kept getting caught on the corner of the roof whilst raising it putting stress on the roof I replaced it with the calitopper it just
Fits over the roof and held in place with bungee straps no risk of getting caught. It also folds up so much smaller I am happy with it. I also thought about the isotop but at £500 out of my price range
I hope this helps. Everybody to their own I suppose in the end
Scooby x