Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfortz Cali Wrap review?

Verity

Verity

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I like the look of this, and we much prefer to sleep up top. Wet and windy winter weather occasionally send us downstairs, but this looks good. I've seen the reviews of the Rainbow one, but I liked the way this one just wrapped round and clipped with a bungy, from what I can see on the vid from the club shop.

Can anyone with these give me an honest review and maybe a vid of it going on? My husband and I are both quite short (I'm 5'7" and he's 5'8") so we'd definitely need a little step ...

We didn't fancy the topper a) because it looked like a bit of a faff and b) because they look a bit flappy and I'm a terrible sleeper.

Thanks in advance.

(I've done a search, but can't find reviews or vids).

I’ve considered the wrap around options but came to the conclusion that I’d need to grow a foot and my partner two feet to make it practical.
I have a conventional topper (older Comfortz which is a heavier grade material) and that’s a faff, especially if there’s any wind.
So I’ve taken out a mortgage and bought a Brandrup Isotop.

A Bus And Beyond have reviewed the Rainbow.

I have also been looking at one of these for our new van. Having had Brandrup Iso-top internal liners on our two previous vans I thought I would look at what else is available now before deciding.

Whilst I haven't actually seen a Cali Wrap in the flesh I have recently received a glowing review from our Cali friend, SimonB. He has one and says that it is very effective indeed. He should know as he's often to be found camping in the wind and rain swept, storm lashed reaches of North Wales. Apparently it keeps the van dry, cosy and draught free. I'm told that they are offered in a range of popular colours. One thing I can say without fear of contradiction is that because they are made by Comfortz the quality will be excellent.

I'm still un-decided as the only thing that puts me off a little is fitting it. This is where the internal liner is so good. Once an internal liner is fitted, all you do is pop the roof up and hey presto it's there. No need to even leave the van. I like the Cali Wrap concept but Mrs B is quite short so I might end up fitting it on my own which could be challenging, especially if it's windy.

I'll reserve my final decision until I've actually seen one and had a go at fitting it on my own.

Im 6ft 4 and can just about reach ours to put it on. With two people its really easy and takes 5 minutes. Me on my own about 7 minutes! My wife needs a step up though on the other side to get the thinner part behind the roof mechanism.
Taking off is literally a 20 second affair, it slides straight out.
all in all its a great thing and works perfect for our kids, it keeps it really dark up top as well for those light summer mornings.
1574692006437.png

Im 6ft 4 and can just about reach ours to put it on. With two people its really easy and takes 5 minutes. Me on my own about 7 minutes! My wife needs a step up though on the other side to get the thinner part behind the roof mechanism.
all in all its a great thing and works perfect for our kids, it keeps it really dark up top as well for those light summer mornings.
View attachment 52977
Where have you found is the best place to store it?

I roll it up into its bag and shove it down the left side of the rear seat. The ski hatch if you would.
Alternatively it can go lengthways across the back of the mattress on the stepped bit, this then levels out the top bit!

View attachment 52977
Thanks for the pic, now we can see what we are talking about, and for the
icing on the cake...... How much is one of those.

We manage to fit our club screen cover in the chairs at the back, wonder if the same could be done with this?

View attachment 52977
Thanks - we will defo need a little step stool being hobbits. V helpful review ta.

View attachment 52977
Looking at your pic - is the front section attached with Velcro, or is it all in one piece? Our JK windscreen cover is 3 bits with Velcro, and it makes is easier to dry out when we get home!

Looking at your pic - is the front section attached with Velcro, or is it all in one piece? Our JK windscreen cover is 3 bits with Velcro, and it makes is easier to dry out when we get home!
It has some Velcro on the side so I assume it can fold down. Maybe @comfortz can tell us more

I bought one of these from the club shop after seeing them on other vehicles. I am very impressed indeed. As
@Borris says I can be found in the Top Left Hand Corner of Wales all the year round working on the Ffestiniog & Welsh Highland Railway. It can, so I am told, rain a bit up there and sometimes it gets very cold and windy too. I've always had a worry that the internal liner means that I can't see the roof coming down when I am lowering it on my own in the dark which I've had to do many times.
I prefer sleeping in the top bed and first tried the CaliWrap at the tail end of summer and found it warmer, quieter and darker. Mine has a window in the front which means I can look out if I unzip the inside window.
20190831_153000.jpg
I put it on the first time on my own by hanging off the doors, standing on the tyres, etc as suggested in a video I watched made by a couple of campervanners. I am 6 foot and it is possible, but I would suggest not easy, better with two people. When we went to the Rally in Dorset in September I took a little 2 step aluminium ladder sold cheaply by lots of shops. This made it very much easier. You unroll one side of the Wrap and standing on the ladder push the side piece behind the front roof supports. If you wedge the longest bit, which is where the black joining line goes down in the picture, between the roof of the van and the elevated roof it supports the rest of it. Then move further down the side and pull the cover behind the rear roof support and round the rear. Then go to the front of the other side and do the same. It is easier than it sounds. I'm sure @CampervanBits will make a video to show just how straightforward it is. Two bungee cords secure it at the back. At Highlands End quite a lot of people looked in the roof space and commented that it was a lot quieter, less wind noise and no flapping canvas. It was also a lot warmer. I was grateful for the steps when it came to putting the roof down in the wind. I had secure footing and two hands to hold the wrap when I pulled it out from behind the roof supports. The wind caught it but I was able to hold on tight. The bellows were still dry and we lowered the roof.
My only reservation about the Wrap thus far was the lack of ventilation in the roof. During some warm days with the wrap on the air circulation was reduced by having no opening windows. I passed this observation back to the shop and they came up with a clever design change which puts in two side windows which line up with the existing ones in the bellows and can be opened if you want ventilation. I am going up to Snowdonia this weekend for a week so will report back upon my return how effective the side windows are.
NB. The side windows are not on the wrap in the above picture.

Simon

I store ours on the shelf at the back behind the seat on top of the Comfort Mattress. With the headrests folded down there is a wasted area there and the wrap in it's bag fits in nicely.

It is in 3 bits joined with Velcro at the corners. It dries out very fast and I just stand our up in a warm room and it's dry in an hour. It is virtually self supporting with the Velco bit fixed together, much thicker than the windscreen covers.

Hi all, I have always used a comfortz topper and never had any issues, I decided I would try the rainbow wrap around topper, it was good quality and did make a big difference in the top ie warmer,darker and quieter but we suffered from alot of condensation which we have never had with the standard topper, we tried different things but could never stop the condensation, in the end we sold it and just went back to the old topper which is fine, no condensation. I'm interested in the comfortz Cali wrap as all there products seem to be good quality, has any experienced any condensation while using the wrap or do they put in some ventilation in the wrap to overcome condensation

I’ve considered the wrap around options but came to the conclusion that I’d need to grow a foot and my partner two feet to make it practical.
I have a conventional topper (older Comfortz which is a heavier grade material) and that’s a faff, especially if there’s any wind.
So I’ve taken out a mortgage and bought a Brandrup Isotop.

A Bus And Beyond have reviewed the Rainbow.
Hi
We're thinking of upgrading to the internaL isotop. There have been a few reviews about it being a bit flappy inside....how are you finding yours and if you've got it fitted, could we come and have a look? It's a lot of money which makes the decision difficult so it would be much easier seeing it first hand. Thanks CaliAM, West Sussex

Hi
We're thinking of upgrading to the internaL isotop. There have been a few reviews about it being a bit flappy inside....how are you finding yours and if you've got it fitted, could we come and have a look? It's a lot of money which makes the decision difficult so it would be much easier seeing it first hand. Thanks CaliAM, West Sussex
Just finished fitting this morning. So not able to report on performance yet! The fit is good with no flappiness..... I think the comments about the loose fit related the Comfortz version, which might have been a bit baggy.
Your welcome to have a look.

Hi CaliAM,
I have an isotop fitted and don’t find it flappy at all. Very happy with it.
My Cali is regularly abroad but will be at home just south of Guildford this coming weekend if you would like to take a look. Please PM me for more details if interested.

Hi all, I have always used a comfortz topper and never had any issues, I decided I would try the rainbow wrap around topper, it was good quality and did make a big difference in the top ie warmer,darker and quieter but we suffered from alot of condensation which we have never had with the standard topper, we tried different things but could never stop the condensation, in the end we sold it and just went back to the old topper which is fine, no condensation. I'm interested in the comfortz Cali wrap as all there products seem to be good quality, has any experienced any condensation while using the wrap or do they put in some ventilation in the wrap to overcome condensation

I've just got back from a week in Snowdonia where I wanted to give the Cali Wrap a thorough test in really cold weather. Comfortz have fitted some windows in the sides to line up with the windows in the bellows.
1575743156480.png
The photo it shows the principle well. The vent is curved at the top with a 1" flap sewn along the curve. There is a gauze inside that will allow air to pass through. There is Velcro under the flap and on the part that folds down keeping it closed when required. The silver in the picture is the reverse side of the wrap which I have pulled down at each end to show you. Thick frost every morning and yet a Diddy Heater on 750w kept the van at a very comfortable 19-22C and it was turned off overnight.
There was a little condensation on the plastic window in the front panel and I was planning to test with the windows open to see what difference they make, but it was too cold. I have noticed a small amount condensation before I had the Cali Wrap when cooking on cold evenings, but have always put the roof up for an hour with the diesel heater on to dry it out. I shall continue this practice, but taking the wrap off before I do it. The windows will certainly help to minimise the condensation with the wrap on.
I'll take some better pictures when I can. Hope this helps.

Simon

I too am interested in the Caliwrap. On the website though, there seems to be an option for a front window but no side vents like yours, do you know if it is possible to order with side vents also or was yours a “one off”? Thank you

Yes they can do them with vents Please order with windows and make sure you enter "please add vents" in the comments please .

Back