Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Topper or similar

T

T6 VCO

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am fitting solar to the roof of my Ocean and looking at these toppers, are the ones with the cutout actually worth fitting ? I can only assume any water on the roof will just run down behind the topper at the rear, or perhaps there is one available that fits under the lip of the roof.
roofless5-500x500.jpg

They are designed in a way that the water runs down each side of the roof as it's raised where the roof channels are it then runs off the back
Between a flap of material and away keeping the bellows completely dry

I am fitting solar to the roof of my Ocean and looking at these toppers, are the ones with the cutout actually worth fitting ? I can only assume any water on the roof will just run down behind the topper at the rear, or perhaps there is one available that fits under the lip of the roof.
roofless5-500x500.jpg
That one was originally designed for Roof Rails, I think.
You can get a Full topper but with a clear vinyl window where the panel would be. Might reduce the Output slightly but then if you need a Topper because of severe rain then I doubt you would have much output anyway.

That one was originally designed for Roof Rails, I think.
You can get a Full topper but with a clear vinyl window where the panel would be. Might reduce the Output slightly but then if you need a Topper because of severe rain then I doubt you would have much output anyway.

Do you know who does one with a clear cover ? I'm not convinced on the one with cut out and it's dearer than a full cover.

Mine has a window panel in it over the solar panel. There is a slight reduction in solar generation when it is on, but as @WelshGas says you don't generally have much generation during bad weather and I don't put it on when the weather is good. I use it mainly to keep the bellows dry.
Mine was done by Comfortz when I supplied the measurements as to position of the panel was on the roof.

Quite a difference in price between this and the Comfortz one. Comfortz just under £300 before discount this one could be up to 600 Euro for the 3 larger sides. Clever idea though, especially if it wraps around at the front on each corner.

Why not buy a flexible solar panel (about 5mm thick), store it under the bed mattress behind the rear seats and only put it on the roof when required? You can put it over the top of any topper on the roof and feed leads through door or cutout in flyscreen.

Have a search, there are a number of active discussions I've posted to. Personally I wouldn't bother with a permanently fixed panel, I've bought flexible panel, MPTT, wires, connectors etc and can still use roof rack etc.. You can buy it all on Ali-Express.

Andy

Why not buy a flexible solar panel (about 5mm thick), store it under the bed mattress behind the rear seats and only put it on the roof when required? You can put it over the top of any topper on the roof and feed leads through door or cutout in flyscreen.

Have a search, there are a number of active discussions I've posted to. Personally I wouldn't bother with a permanently fixed panel, I've bought flexible panel, MPTT, wires, connectors etc and can still use roof rack etc.. You can buy it all on Ali-Express.

Andy

What's the negatives on fixed solar panels ?

What's the negatives on fixed solar panels ?
Cannot think of any if you don't plan an using roof rails or a roof box. Fixed, slimline panel is always on, still under 2 m vehicle height
Removable - Security. Not in use when driving and parking etc:, Have to setup when parked up so only of real use when on-site for a few days. Possibly cheaper to purchase but then you have the faff of setting up and taking down each time.

Cannot think of any if you don't plan an using roof rails or a roof box. Fixed, slimline panel is always on, still under 2 m vehicle height
Removable - Security. Not in use when driving and parking etc:, Have to setup when parked up so only of real use when on-site for a few days. Possibly cheaper to purchase but then you have the faff of setting up and taking down each time.

Fixed type is fit and forget :thumb

I don't plan using any rails or roof box as being vertically challenged I would need a ladder to get up there, so more crap to carry around.

A fixed panel can be left generating when you are away from the van. It fits discreetly onto the two rails that run up the roof and if you tuck the wire down it is virtually invisible from the ground.
It has totally changed our usage of the vehicle in that it charges up the leisure batteries all the time so you don't have to remember to plug the van in for 24 hours each month. I am told that 3-4 days with the fridge on medium with no EHU will take a toll on the leisure batteries. I have arrived on site with the batteries on 100%, stayed 6 days and left with the batteries still on 100%.

That should be more than enough, even in overcast weather. What few people who have them mention is that on some of the bigger sites areas without an EHU are quieter as a lot of people want the hook up.
We like the peace and quiet and having the panel we can find a little spot in the sun and keep everything working.

Do you know who does one with a clear cover ? I'm not convinced on the one with cut out and it's dearer than a full cover.

We have a roofless topper like this, no issues with it all, water runs straight off as designed and its a doddle to fit.

We have a roofless topper like this, no issues with it all, water runs straight off as designed and its a doddle to fit.
We have the roofless topper too. Water seeps into the seams, especially at the back. It's fixed by making drainage holes in the fabric. An alternative fix would be to tape the seams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy

Not a good idea to move the flexible panels around too much. They have very thin wire tracks joining all the individual cells which will break with any amount of regular flexing.
I know as I had two 100w Baird panels mounted on bracket similar to the one sold by Roger on here. They lasted around two years then both failed. When checked I found both had broken wire tracks. Not possible to repair, threw them away. Very expensive two years use at over £100 each.

I would assume it's more like tent material, I am planning on calling them tomorrow to find out more.

Decision has been made and one of these from www.vwcamper.de has been ordered with roof cut out for solar panels..

silber-anth-muetze-3_2.jpg

This will also be on my shopping list too at some point..

232072-Calicave komplett.jpg

Also bought one of these from them..

f5bb980243962d9edb2187c930462819--oder-california.jpg

Last edited: