Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Californi T6 Awning - how to order by your own

ilmoris

ilmoris

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Hi there,

I decided to write this post, as I really had to bump my head against the wall for a long time until I managed to get it solved..
Long story short: I bought one California T6, Ocean (pop-up roof, of course), second hand - and the previous owner had no awning installed. And maybe you had similar experience, but here is mine:
-local VW dealership: could not identify the original VW awning / fixtures (honestly, they also did not care that much) - rather frustrating. I turned out to shoot the VW part numbers at them, just to order - but they didn't, claiming that the ordering codes do not fit on my car.
-Thule: local Thule supplier could offer the awning, but as fixtures they could offer something that needs drilling - so I said pass.
So I went my own way - searched various forums / threads and this is what I concluded:
  • Fixtures:go for original VW fixtures (you have on the awning side, just under the pop-up roof, 3 fixing screws for the front side, and another 3 fixing screws for the back side (pictures belo). My personal opinion: don't let other put holes into your roof. Here are the ordering codes for VW parts:
    • 7H7877238B9P7: this is the front side fixture (black). Link. For aluminum looks, try out this code: 7H7877238B 8Q8 / Link
    • 7H7877238D9P7 : this is the back side fixture (black): Link. For aluminum looks, try out this code: 7H7877238D 8Q8 / Link
    • check if you have the screws, otherwise you will need to order 6 pcs of N 10546403 Link (the diagram linked below shows two different types of screws - on my car I had same type of screws in the back / front)
1719840864878.png1719840895942.png
  • Rubber Gasket: this is just a rubber element that will be fixed on your rail (e.g. on the black rails in pictures above), under the awning, to prevent that water will not pass under the awning, on your side door. Be aware that mounting this on your rails requires some extended effort..
    • ordering code: 7H7067793 / Link
  • Auxiliary screws / bolts / nuts.Besides the 3 point fixtures, the awning will need several other fixtures:
    • the awning fixtures, when mounted, are also fixed on the rail via a square nut + screw. Codes below:
      • 2 pcs. of square nut, entering on the rail: N 90482301 / Link
      • 2 pcs. of hexagon head nuts, for the nuts above: N 10285506 / Link
    • awning attaching screws: in order to attach the awning to the awning fixtures, you need two additional screws:
      • 2 pcs. of oval socket head bolts: N 10632002 / Link
  • The awning itself: as it is repetedly mentioned on this forum, the awing that is compatible with this model si the Thule Omnistor 5102. So I also ordered this one from a local Thule dealer (had to say, I was pretty nervous until I saw it mounted - but it fits like a charm on the VW fixtures - no extra drilling / adaption needed)
Here is a picture with how the front support is support to look like after attachment: it is secured with 3 hexagon head screws on the upper part + one hexagon head screw + square nut on the rail. The hole left open is for fastening the awning itself. You will have a similar fixture of course on the back - and very important, between the two fixtures, don't forget to attach the rubber gasket.
1719842330511.png
Here is a picture after job was done:
1719842709753.png

Now, some more sources of information that could home handy:
Guys, I hope this comes useful..
Cheers,
ilmoris