Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing Awning Colour using Plastidip

Amonkeyhint

Amonkeyhint

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Since getting my cali, I’ve wanted to change the colour of the roll out awning to black from silver. I looked at a few options from replacing it (about £800), wrapping it (£250) and spraying it myself.

I decided to buy some cans of plastidip, since it is removable if I mess it up.
D57D38AA-9F9F-4116-881D-E11CEA9E6296.jpeg

removing the awning is really easy, just unroll the awning fully and remove the two screws attaching to the rail. There is a single screw in each end cap to remove too which need to be done when the awning is fully extended (glad I realised this when it was still attached to the van).

Once the screws are removed, the awning just lifts off where I led it down and started masking off the bit I didn’t want black.

7836B633-489E-4791-AAE0-7B8D9D045923.jpeg

I found doing a few very light coats to start with and then a relatively heavy final coat gave the best finish.

FB8445A9-D800-4F0A-A03A-4EE9AB44D3BE.jpeg

I took the opportunity to spray the silver awning rail on each side black to suit.

2B1F17B1-915C-49FA-8E02-0734110336F2.jpeg

Due to the awning size, it is quite trick to get an even finish (partly because I was fumbling my way around) and wasn’t paticularly happy with the finish once on the van.

D39BBC19-C0D7-4634-AF01-7A5CA2327D05.jpeg

At this stage, I partly rolled out the awning, covered the bits I didn’t want overspray on and did it in situ - I found this gave a much nicer finish as I could spray in one continuous run.

38CE3415-097D-4D10-9D75-E2523A80123C.jpeg

EBEC2946-5159-4290-8B84-1563C74F7E69.jpeg

Fairly happy with the finish, it would probably be better if I had done it before, but I can’t complain for a first time.

I too have been thinking of doing this to reduce the silverness.. I hadn't thought of doing the rails too, it looks great, you've just given me the balls to get the paint out. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the idea! I have wanted to get my awning wrapped for a long time, but this plastdip seems to be much easier.

Would you say that it is possible to leave the awning in place ok the car and do the spraying process or do you think it is nessecary to take the awning off ?

Thanks!

Also, i have been looking on the web and it seems it is also possible to spray the alloys wheels, anyone have experience with this ?

I think you’ll struggle to get an even coat in the places that are difficult to reach/access (the other side of the awning for example). Also you’d really have to mask the entire van with sheeting to protect it from overspray. I think it’ll be a lot easier to do do it off the vehicle - it takes about 5mins to remove it.

I used about 2.5 cans - which included the awning rail too

All very interesting. My van also has a silver awning casing and when I suggested to the seller that I might change the colour I was told that the choice at the time was black or silver and that the silver version was more expensive. Is this correct? I'm not brave enough to do this, wheels are my limit (not alloys, threetone), but I do have a very good local auto paint shop if I decide to do anything. The silver is beginning to grow on me now.

Yes, for some reason the Silver one is more expensive.

I think you’ll struggle to get an even coat in the places that are difficult to reach/access (the other side of the awning for example). Also you’d really have to mask the entire van with sheeting to protect it from overspray. I think it’ll be a lot easier to do do it off the vehicle - it takes about 5mins to remove it.

I used about 2.5 cans - which included the awning rail too

You are right ofcourse, thanks for the info, I’ll update here if i decide to go ahead with it.

All very interesting. My van also has a silver awning casing and when I suggested to the seller that I might change the colour I was told that the choice at the time was black or silver and that the silver version was more expensive. Is this correct? I'm not brave enough to do this, wheels are my limit (not alloys, threetone), but I do have a very good local auto paint shop if I decide to do anything. The silver is beginning to grow on me now.
If you want a silver awning, instead of a black one, you'll pay more, because they will fit 2 silver rails.
The price at VW for a silver awning is just the same as a black one, so the price difference is certainly for the different rails.

Due to different material ie sun reflective

Are you saying the actual awning canvas/material is different on a silver awning compared to a black? Interested to know as sure I’ve heard this mentioned before but couldn’t get a firm answer. Thanks

The awning rails black and silver are the same price

Are you saying the actual awning canvas/material is different on a silver awning compared to a black? Interested to know as sure I’ve heard this mentioned before but couldn’t get a firm answer. Thanks
Was advised upon ordering MY 19 via VWCC the price difference is due to the difference in material, ie solar reflective. also advised this is no longer an option and the black and white are now the same cost as the materials are the same, just the outer casing have different colour options. I wanted the silver as my split colour top half was Candy white and would suite the van best.

Thanks @Breeze1 just curious to know. Mine is the same two tone as yours was but I have a black awning, wondered if silver would look better and surprised it had different material. Any pics of it rolled out?

Wouldnt self wrap be cheaper and v easier?

Wouldnt self wrap be cheaper and v easier?
Possibly, but I‘ve wanted to try plastidip for a while and I’ve heard wrapping the awning is abit tricky due to the awkward shape. If I have issues with it in the future, I’ll look into wrapping it.

I have a Brand new silver awning I would exchange for a black/anthracite one for my ‘new’ 2018 Cali 4Motion I am waiting to pick up.
If anyone is interested provided the exchange is in very good condition or could look at cash adjustment, let me know.

Just to feedback on plastidip, I’ve not found it anywhere near as durable as I expected. It’s started to develop some holes on the underside, top and front of the awning, so I’m going to peel it all off and attempt to wrap it instead.

I’m not sure why its failed as I did layer it as per the instructions but I wouldn’t recommend it for the task.

I had my silver awning case wrapped in the end. I had it done in ‘stealth’ indium grey. It has worked a treat and a year on, one or two minor blemishes from careless knocks but is in great condition and can recommend this method.

The longevity of the plastidip has been really poor. After a little over 12 months of spraying the awning (with very little driving yesterday under COVID), the plastidip has started to peel in several places (top, bottom and edges).

I’m going back to the drawing board and will be stripping the plastidip and looking to wrap it over the coming weeks.

The longevity of the plastidip has been really poor. After a little over 12 months of spraying the awning (with very little driving yesterday under COVID), the plastidip has started to peel in several places (top, bottom and edges).

I’m going back to the drawing board and will be stripping the plastidip and looking to wrap it over the coming weeks.
My wrapping is lasting well with no sign or wear/damage/degradation so would thoroughly recommend the wrap option. You would not know difference to proper paint job. Makes the van unique! I suspect you would need a thoroughly flat surface to wrap yours so will need a proper strip of plastidip. Good luck.

My wrapping is lasting well with no sign or wear/damage/degradation so would thoroughly recommend the wrap option. You would not know difference to proper paint job. Makes the van unique! I suspect you would need a thoroughly flat surface to wrap yours so will need a proper strip of plastidip. Good luck.
Hi Ian, did you wrap your awning rail as well as the awning cassette ?, I’m looking to do the same, but struggling to find anyone willing to do it !

My casing was wrapped at same time as my van. Given their are no complex shapes I think I could wrap it just as well as the professionals. So just cost of the wrap material lot less £250