Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach footwell lights

S

SteveS

Hi, We have noticed that the lights in the foot well take approx 15mins to switch off after opening the sliding door and leaving it open. We have asked the dealer about this and they claim that there is no way to alter this. I am sure that the demo beach in the dealers only took approx 15 secs to turn off. I would be grateful to hear from any other Beach owners if they have noticed the same thing. Thanks very much

i am shore that this has made my battery go flat when away at vw shows with keep going in and out of the van .i try and turn these off now inside when i pull up at a show now .had it happen 3 times now :headwall

SteveS said:
Hi, We have noticed that the lights in the foot well take approx 15mins to switch off after opening the sliding door and leaving it open. We have asked the dealer about this and they claim that there is no way to alter this. I am sure that the demo beach in the dealers only took approx 15 secs to turn off. I would be grateful to hear from any other Beach owners if they have noticed the same thing. Thanks very much

Steve

I will take a look - by footwell lights you mean the lights on the steps?

James

Hi, Thanks very much. Yes it is the lights on the steps. Thanks again
Steve

The interior lights are supposed to stay on for a reasonable period when the doors are opened.

If its a problem can you not shut the door?

Or just switch off the interior lights on the roof panel :)

The problem is that they won't turn off from the panel on the Beach, on ours or any of the demos in the dealers. Which seems a very strange design flaw. Waiting to hear from VW regarding this. The Dealer is also confused as it takes different times for the lights to go off on all the Beach's they have in the show room.

So you can't turn off from the switch like in the full fat Cali ???

no can't turn them off from panel, which really surprised me.

choplee said:

At the risk of looking like an idiot - how do you turn them off in yours Lee?

James

Hi James,

No haven't tried that. I will give it go.

Thanks

steve

Custard said:
choplee said:

James

centre panel above my head there are reading lights with buttons and a sliding switch which puts the interior lights on /off or puts them onto door on/off mode .... ;)

just the same as my caddy and the beetle

choplee said:
Custard said:
choplee said:

James

centre panel above my head there are reading lights with buttons and a sliding switch which puts the interior lights on /off or puts them onto door on/off mode .... ;)

Can't see that in Betty Lee :(

James

just the same as my caddy and the beetle[/quote]

James[/quote]

how do you turn off your interior lights or put a reading light on :?: :?:
or is there no way to switch on and off :?:

choplee said:

James[/quote]

how do you turn off your interior lights or put a reading light on :?: :?:
or is there no way to switch on and off :?:[/quote]

Yes - there is the usual array of reading lights - I see what your post says now. I mis read it - I thought you were saying there was a switch to turn off the footwell lights. On this note, mine actually go off after about 5 mins.

James

It seems to take about 5 minutes on my Beach, which is OK unless you keep opening and closing other doors while the side door remains open.

I found that there is a fuse which controls the 'automatic' inside lights, so this can be removed if you are standing around for days, or for the electro experts out there, have it on a switch. The fuse doesn't affect the switchable roof mounted lights in the rear cabin or the 12V sockets.

It's the SC17 7.5amp one in the middle row of the bottom fuse unit, See the attached diagram. In German, but run it through Google Translate to get a rough idea of everything else.

Found this out on the German T5 forum, which is very active and if you can read between the lines of Google Translate, there is a lot of useful info on there plus a dedicated section for both T5 and T5.2 (facelift) Calis

http://www.t5-board.de/board/forum.php

Stu

Attachments

• Fuses.pdf
    73.4 KB · Views: 53
Hi Stu

Thanks for that it is really useful. I had a reply back from the dealer and they say VW assured them it wont cause a problem, I got the impression that the dealer didnt believe this. They said they had checked all their beaches and noticed the time for the lights to switch off was different in every van???

thanks again and all the best

steve

I would imagine that it is linked to the time it takes the CAN to shut down which could be why others are different times depending on what has been used on them etc...

Haven't had anyone complain of it at our end though.

cheers

Found out at the weekend that the footwell lights of the Beach can not be turned off by turning off the interior lights - which they do on a full Cali.

So they stay on and go off after a period of time, it's not a big deal but and I suspect that it is down to the van the Beach is based on.

Not much help, sorry :(

James