Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California dreaming..sorry could not resist!!

The campervanners equivalent of socks. Needed but not exciting

here also excited, ordered 31 August and delivery May 2021: plenty of time to browse around and in the meantime bought a VanEssa windowbag, added some options and changed the colour :D

here also excited, ordered 31 August and delivery May 2021: plenty of time to browse around and in the meantime bought a VanEssa windowbag, added some options and changed the colour :D
Which colour did you go from/to?

wow sounds like we have matching vans . 2 tone copper bronze Palmerston wheels chrome trims and tow bar fitted. Got the dealer to match the best price DTD and lower the van 30mm at the dealership.
Why are you lowering it?

Why are you lowering it?
2 reasons firstly 199 for a 2m car park clearance means I have to 100% trust someone else’s tape measure 196 cm feels better. It will be a daily use van so I have to not worry about slope angles French tunnels around Paris. Secondly less roll when driving and when in the van. I read that the beefed up anti roll bars are fitted as standard on the t6.1 so less travel in the springs should firm up the ride. I have insisted on a 4 wheel alignment check and the ACC re calibrated by the dealer Are you contemplating doing this yourself?

Ps First thing I bought for the new Cali was the number plate TH15 EVA My mum, Eva sadly passed away this March so this VW purchase is set of adventures to look forward to all thanks to what she and my Dad did for me their son.
Lovely sentiment

2 reasons firstly 199 for a 2m car park clearance means I have to 100% trust someone else’s tape measure 196 cm feels better. It will be a daily use van so I have to not worry about slope angles French tunnels around Paris. Secondly less roll when driving and when in the van. I read that the beefed up anti roll bars are fitted as standard on the t6.1 so less travel in the springs should firm up the ride. I have insisted on a 4 wheel alignment check and the ACC re calibrated by the dealer Are you contemplating doing this yourself?
If you have upgraded the ARB, I would suggest Koni shocks to give you a super smooth ride!

I hadn’t thought about it, but see a few doing it. I test drove a 150 and thought it handled well, so not sure I’d want a firmer ride. Good idea for the car park though...

I hadn’t thought about it, but see a few doing it. I test drove a 150 and thought it handled well, so not sure I’d want a firmer ride. Good idea for the car park though...
There’s more weight in a 4 motion both from the mechanics and me due to lockdown! Lowered equals less roll.

There’s more weight in a 4 motion both from the mechanics and me due to lockdown! Lowered equals less roll.
I’m not sure that lowering reduces roll....but it can put more pressure on running gear etc! Upgrading anti-roll bar will reduce roll (without stiffening the ride either)....and upgrading shock absorbers will significantly improve the ride.

I am not lowering as I like the ride height and need to tow a big twin-axle caravan for “big holidays”! However, I am having my suspension and roll bars upgraded next Tuesday. My factory roll bars are 22mm at the rear - unbelievable for a Cali and the weight it has on the roof. I am upgrading my shocks at the same time to remove the “skippy-ness” the van has when running empty.

I am happy to post a review if anyone is interested.

regards

JOG

I’m not sure that lowering reduces roll....but it can put more pressure on running gear etc! Upgrading anti-roll bar will reduce roll (without stiffening the ride either)....and upgrading shock absorbers will significantly improve the ride.

I am not lowering as I like the ride height and need to tow a big twin-axle caravan for “big holidays”! However, I am having my suspension and roll bars upgraded next Tuesday. My factory roll bars are 22mm at the rear - unbelievable for a Cali and the weight it has on the roof. I am upgrading my shocks at the same time to remove the “skippy-ness” the van has when running empty.

regards

JOG
Very interested thanks. Could you also let me know which Cali you have (I have a 6.1 on order so you’ve made me wonder about the rear roll bars.
I have also been told coilovers will significantly improve the ride (and permit lowering by up to 70mm). These have been recommended. Like I say, I don’t think the 150 6.1 ride needs improvement... but would like to drive a coilovered 150 to compare...

Very interested thanks. Could you also let me know which Cali you have (I have a 6.1 on order so you’ve made me wonder about the rear roll bars.
I have also been told coilovers will significantly improve the ride (and permit lowering by up to 70mm). These have been recommended. Like I say, I don’t think the 150 6.1 ride needs improvement... but would like to drive a coilovered 150 to compare...
That’s a lot of money....before they’re even fitted!
I am going for Koni shocks with H&R roll bars (30mm). Bear in mind, I am not looking to lower as I am towing and I am not looking for a “flash” look! However, I am looking for comfort, safety and handling. Right now, one has to hang on when negotiating a roundabout!!!

I am going for Koni shocks with H&R roll bars (30mm). Bear in mind, I am not looking to lower as I am towing and I am not looking for a “flash” look! However, I am looking for comfort, safety and handling. Right now, one has to hang on when negotiating a roundabout!!!
Meant to add, I’m in a 2018 Beach 150 DSG

Mind me asking what that will cost, and who will fit them?

Mind me asking what that will cost, and who will fit them?
I’m expecting a bill around £1k. CRS Performance in Cannock are doing the work.....regarded as bit of a guru in all suspension matters! Where are you located?

I’m expecting a bill around £1k. CRS Performance in Cannock are doing the work.....regarded as bit of a guru in all suspension matters! Where are you located?
London, but I’m sure there are some good campsites in the Cannock Chase AONB...

hello, as I said in the 'ascot grey' post: ascot grey (from cherry red) ;)
Same as yours :thumb
sorry!
Didn’t put 2 and 2 together. Good choice (again)!

London, but I’m sure there are some good campsites in the Cannock Chase AONB...
They reckon that they will need the van for 2 hours to do the job. If you are west London, it’s an easy spin up there. Give them a call and talk through what you’d like to achieve.

They reckon that they will need the van for 2 hours to do the job. If you are west London, it’s an easy spin up there. Give them a call and talk through what you’d like to achieve.
Bookmarked. When I pick it up I’ll see if I can live with the roll ... I did do some reasonably enthusiastic cornering on the test drive and thought it ok... we shall see

regards

JOG
As promised, an update following a visit to CRS Performance in Cannock to sort out the suspension on my 2018 Cali DSG.

My needs are quite simple - improve the driving comfort and remove the "skippy-ness" when driving. I'm not looking to lower my 2018 California as I occasionally tow a hoofing great big twin-axle caravan. The Cali is also our "family car" and it is running on 235/55/R17 Michelin Cross Climates.

So, the day came to visit Steve and his team in Cannock and I took my young lad (aged 8.) We were a few minutes late but were directed straight onto the ramp. Two office chairs were wheeled out to give us a front-row view of the work being undertaken and a very welcome cuppa. (Yes, we had the foresight to bring the biscuits - an army marches on its stomach after all!)

Initial measurements were taken: van was 20mm down at the rear and 10mm up at the front. This was essentially unladen weight of a factory California. Up went the ramp and a quick squint underneath: "Ooh, that's a baby!" or words to that effect was the assessment of the rear anti-roll bar. (It was 22mm, the lightest bar for a Transporter, yet it was put onto a California with all that glass and a pop-top raising the centre of gravity???)

No messing about, Koni Active shocks and a set of H&R antiroll bars were put on to replace the originals equipment. This is a slick operation: removing old, preparing new, fitting and checking fitment all happening in parallel. Questions and photos weren't an issue during the work. (They even refitted the wheels I had put on in the wrong rotation.........can we just gloss over that bit, eh?!?!?!!)

Then, it came to checking the levels/rake. Drop the van, meansure it, lift the van, adjust it..........have the work peer-reviewed.......until all were happy. Only then did the LED levelling sensors go back on with new bolts. Steve then takes the van for a test drive before handing it back to us to test drive (yes, he did come with us!) Push the van into a roundabout.......find a pothole..........stand on the anchors.......etc etc!

After a couple of hours of mainly motorways, I finally got to the hilly A-roads before home (approximately 15 miles) and this was where the results of work became properly noticeable. My Cali was now close to "car like" handling. No longer did I feel like I was driving an epileptic armchair mid-fit with the backend twitching while I grip the steering wheel to remain in the seat! (Actually, previously I wondered whether it was my backend or the van's that used to twitch the most!)

Then came the real test: have Senior Management (Domestic Front) drive. Within a few hundred yards: "Yes, that feels different!" After a roundabout (taken normally): "Ooh, that's much better!" Over supper: "That was worth the money!" And, from the back seat my youngest (aged 6) piped up: "It's a lot smoother and kinda like Mummy's car!" The most telling comment was later (again from Senior Management): "Don't you feel a bit aggrieved that you have to fix what comes out of the factory? They should know enough about what a California is used for by now!"

So, some pointers for those considering going down this route:
  • rummage around this forum and read what others have to say
  • speak with an expert in suspension (like CRS Performance - that's all they do!)
  • most importantly, tell them what you want to achieve, what you intend doing with your van and, what you have already done. If you need it for towing or carrying large loads; if you intend to lower it; if you want massive wheels on it.............tell them at the outset and they can guide you on the best options. They aren't mind-readers, but they are experts!
Finally, thank you to the team at CRS Performance for the work done and the care taken with my Cali

Regards,

JOG

As promised, an update following a visit to CRS Performance in Cannock to sort out the suspension on my 2018 Cali DSG.

My needs are quite simple - improve the driving comfort and remove the "skippy-ness" when driving. I'm not looking to lower my 2018 California as I occasionally tow a hoofing great big twin-axle caravan. The Cali is also our "family car" and it is running on 235/55/R17 Michelin Cross Climates.

So, the day came to visit Steve and his team in Cannock and I took my young lad (aged 8.) We were a few minutes late but were directed straight onto the ramp. Two office chairs were wheeled out to give us a front-row view of the work being undertaken and a very welcome cuppa. (Yes, we had the foresight to bring the biscuits - an army marches on its stomach after all!)

Initial measurements were taken: van was 20mm down at the rear and 10mm up at the front. This was essentially unladen weight of a factory California. Up went the ramp and a quick squint underneath: "Ooh, that's a baby!" or words to that effect was the assessment of the rear anti-roll bar. (It was 22mm, the lightest bar for a Transporter, yet it was put onto a California with all that glass and a pop-top raising the centre of gravity???)

No messing about, Koni Active shocks and a set of H&R antiroll bars were put on to replace the originals equipment. This is a slick operation: removing old, preparing new, fitting and checking fitment all happening in parallel. Questions and photos weren't an issue during the work. (They even refitted the wheels I had put on in the wrong rotation.........can we just gloss over that bit, eh?!?!?!!)

Then, it came to checking the levels/rake. Drop the van, meansure it, lift the van, adjust it..........have the work peer-reviewed.......until all were happy. Only then did the LED levelling sensors go back on with new bolts. Steve then takes the van for a test drive before handing it back to us to test drive (yes, he did come with us!) Push the van into a roundabout.......find a pothole..........stand on the anchors.......etc etc!

After a couple of hours of mainly motorways, I finally got to the hilly A-roads before home (approximately 15 miles) and this was where the results of work became properly noticeable. My Cali was now close to "car like" handling. No longer did I feel like I was driving an epileptic armchair mid-fit with the backend twitching while I grip the steering wheel to remain in the seat! (Actually, previously I wondered whether it was my backend or the van's that used to twitch the most!)

Then came the real test: have Senior Management (Domestic Front) drive. Within a few hundred yards: "Yes, that feels different!" After a roundabout (taken normally): "Ooh, that's much better!" Over supper: "That was worth the money!" And, from the back seat my youngest (aged 6) piped up: "It's a lot smoother and kinda like Mummy's car!" The most telling comment was later (again from Senior Management): "Don't you feel a bit aggrieved that you have to fix what comes out of the factory? They should know enough about what a California is used for by now!"

So, some pointers for those considering going down this route:
  • rummage around this forum and read what others have to say
  • speak with an expert in suspension (like CRS Performance - that's all they do!)
  • most importantly, tell them what you want to achieve, what you intend doing with your van and, what you have already done. If you need it for towing or carrying large loads; if you intend to lower it; if you want massive wheels on it.............tell them at the outset and they can guide you on the best options. They aren't mind-readers, but they are experts!
Finally, thank you to the team at CRS Performance for the work done and the care taken with my Cali

Regards,

JOG
Thanks very much. Mind me asking what that cost?

Nice full report. Many thanks
You're very welcome. I see you're local to us.........ping me if you'd like to test-drive the suspension. Being in a 4motion, I would hope they'd have your suspension set up better.

Back