Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California garaging help.

campandfly

campandfly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Cali owners

I am thinking of purchasing a Cali 2013 and am trying to get a definitive measurement
on the width of the vehicle with the wing mirrors folded in.

I have a narrow garage, height and length are not a problem.

Cali Brochure says wheel width is 1904 and wing mirrors extended 2283
my garage door is 2m width.

Hope someone can help

Thank you
Tony
PS has anyone changed their mirrors for aftermarket ones?

I don't think you'd be wanting to change the mirrors as they contain the radio antenna.

I think you'll be a little tight with the width of your garage opening to be honest. I'm not sure how wide the garage is once inside but remember you'll need to get out of the van once inside.

Roughly where are you? perhaps someone local can bring their van around. Either that or get a test drive.. I would recommend trying it rather than relying on the measurements.

Thanks Stu

Garage is very wide inside, the builder must have been a cheapskate and put on a small door.

Thanks for the tip about the antenna. I am used to squeezing through with various vehicles but the Cali is tantalisingly borderline.

VW UK has just informed me that the width with mirrors folded is 2110. :sad

Tony

Hi Californian

Had a test drive, was a pleasure to drive, dealer came with me but the nearest dealer is a good way off so won't be able to try with the demo.

Occasionally there are VW transporters near my garage so will see if I can get someone to have a go at parking one in the garage.

@Chris :D

Tony

Just take a couple of bricks out at mirror level :-D

We've spend lots of time in our garage this week with a tape measure so excellent thread! But we have another worry. Does the side awning extend beyond the folded in wing mirrors? If that makes sense?

Hi Jennydddd

I think that will be OK as the shape of the Cali comes in a little at the top. I am fairly certain the awning does not extend past the wing mirrors either extended or folded.

Living in a place where parking is at a premium and not being able to garage the vehicle is going to be a sad deal breaker for me.

I hope I can come up with a resolution.

Tony

Yes a new door is now on the cards. Had the garage door man have a look he can give me another 20cms all up and worse case scenario is to trim a bit of brickwork at mirror height and have an oversized door, its a rented garage so had to talk to the owner who was very supportive and after I said I would pay they agreed I could go ahead and put a new one on.

Its still tight but I am back in the game :D

Another option may be a sectional garage door. These have 4 panels and the frame sits behind the brickwork on the inside of your garage so you do not lose any width. They slide upwards to finish parallel with the ceiling

I have a hormann sectional garage door to maximise the entry width and am very happy with it.

gatvol said:
I have a hormann sectional garage door to maximise the entry width and am very happy with it.

We had one of those, very good door.

Back