Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California ordered - question regarding electric side door

• Thread starter TwoMagpiesTravelling
  • Start date
2.5 Years, no problems, nice to approach, click, open and in !

Hi All,

My wife and I, after looking at different campervan makes and conversions, decided on the California Ocean (150, Ascot Grey). Our order has been placed with all the options we think will add value and comfort to our travels. However, since reading a few previous posts, I have noticed that there are some issues with the electric sliding side door, an option that we have selected. Are there any campers that enjoy this feature, or is it something that everyone that have opted for it, ended up regretting?

Thanks and happy travels!
Hi - my wife and I did the same and also then started to have concerns after reading reviews, but it was too late to change spec. We collected a few weeks ago and it is amazing, handy pushing a button to open, whether in the front or when approaching, or simply touch the handle inside or outside and the door is sorted. We had concerns about the beeping and, OK I’m getting old, but it is so quiet I can’t imagine anyone else would hear it (this was one of our concerns). Love it and would choose it again.

Had the electric door option on our T6 and ordered it again on the T6.1. The latest version is quieter both beeping and shutting. Really useful with hands full, plus the dog liked it as she could get in first! Never had any problems with either version. Would spec it again.

It's a total hassle. Takes ages to close assuming it doesn't bounce back half way through. Kind of useful when I realise kids have forgotten to shut door and can close from inside the house. Pain when camping in midge places. Also I'm worried about how much battery power it uses

I love the soft close on my 2020 Ocean which is a standard feature I have never thought about it being powered. If I was upgrading I would find an electric rear door a big benefit, my wife really struggles closing it as there's quite a lot of power and resistance in the struts.

We have the electric door on our MY21 Ocean and have had no problems. Quite useful being hands free if you’re carrying stuff but it’s a feature you could easily do without. Note, It can be disabled when camping via a dashboard switch.
When disabled it is very heavy/tough to open and close.

We have an electric door. When it works it is great, when it doesn't it is a real pain. It fails about 10% of the time.

Hi All,

My wife and I, after looking at different campervan makes and conversions, decided on the California Ocean (150, Ascot Grey). Our order has been placed with all the options we think will add value and comfort to our travels. However, since reading a few previous posts, I have noticed that there are some issues with the electric sliding side door, an option that we have selected. Are there any campers that enjoy this feature, or is it something that everyone that have opted for it, ended up regretting?

Thanks and happy travels!
Hi Pleased to hear of your order of the California,

The electric sliding door is a bit like 'Marmite'!

We have an electric sliding door, it was on the van we bought, not an option that we chose.

I would suggest you give it some serious consideration,. Do research the history of problems with sliding doors catching, and scratching, the rear wings of VW vans, (our did!!) There is lots on the forum section under this heading.
It would appear that the majority of sliding doors catching rear wings are motor driven sliding doors. - But in fairness not all vans suffer, but if you do it is a real issue to get resolved which includes repainting the rear wing section of your van.

The option is very handy when your hands are full to press a button to open the door, but it is not so handy when you are parked on a quite campsite to open and close the door as the motor winds into action and the beeper sounds - yes I know there is the button to switch off the motor, and you can manually open against the motor mechanism, but this is not recommended by VW, and, in my opinion, the manual opening of the door pulls it closer to the rear wing and could be the cause of some of the catching/scratching issues. Also as pointed out by others the operation of this motor is from the engine battery, which you have to be aware of when camping wild, or just on a CL without hook-up.

If I was to buy another van I would not go for the motor driven side door. (I would make sure I had soft close as that option really is great).

I would spend that option money on something else, but that is just me.

Enjoy your new van.

I imagine the electric sliding door requires some maintenance after a certain period depending on usage. If not on top of the lubrication the wires will stretch and gears and pulleys won't run smoothly. I'm sure a lot of the issues are down to (the lack of) maintenance.
And its critical the correct VW grease is used too. Astronomically priced but essential. I squirt if WD40 won't hack it and will likely worsen the situation.

Back