Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electric side door

Tutti said:
Hello,
Not sure if this is new information, but my electric side door has scratched the rear wheel arch and I've been advised by my local VW van centre (Carlisle) that there is a software solution that should stop the door doing the offending wobble as the door starts to close. The van centre is waiting for the software to be delivered to them in 3 to 4 weeks and then they'll apply it to my Cali. Fingers crossed!

That sounds almost too good to be true but I hope it is! Please keep us posted on your progress as our door also gives problems. As others have said, a gentle bit of pull on the exterior handle when closing from outside seems to stabilise it on that first, wobbly, bit of the travel but that doesn't help from inside the vehicle.

And as for the beeper. Whatever idiot made that an unswitchable 'feature' has either never been camping on a quiet, natural site or is a sociopath ;-)

Hi its been more then a month now after software fix with new control unit (from Germany) for side electric door. its look like VW find the solution of this problem. my door working fine after new control unit + new software has been changed. But i am keep monitoring my door problem because it was going on from last year.

might its help to other users.

thanks
JK

Ah, so a new control unit as well. Mmmm. I'm sure VW will happily retro fit that to my 06 model for no charge! ;-) Thanks for the info - do you have any part numbers for the unit on the job paperwork?

No i don't have any details about the part no but thats sure vw changed the new control unit with new software.
The new control unit direct comes from the factory that was told by the vw. i am assuming control unit same for all models.

thanks
JK

its all done under warranty so i don't have any paper work.

I had the software update done a few weeks back and the rear wheel arch painted at the same time. Within a couple of days the rear wheel arch was scratched again, so it looks like the repair didn't work! Having said that and although the door still wobbles when it first sets off to close, it does seem to be smoother than it was before. I've told the VW Centre and they are going to report the problem to a higher level. I haven't heard anything since then.

Electric Sliding Door Problems.

I have a 2013 California SE with the electric sliding door. I have had some of the problems above from the day I picked up the vehicle.

The door would only close part-way, then judder back open. This happened regularly.

Also, I noticed distinctive scratches on the rear wheel arch. As someone else suggested, I put masking tape on the arch to confirm the door was causing these.

The van has been into the local VW Van Centre a number of times for these faults whilst under warranty.

Finally, I believe the problems have now been solved.

There has been two VW TPIs issued (Technical Product Information) about the these problems.

The first earlier this year for a software update. This was done about two months. This has solved the judder and re-opening of the electric door.

A second issued in the last few weeks, to cover both manual and electric doors, to realign the runners. This gives more clearance from the rear wheel arch to prevent the door from catching the paintwork.

This was only done today, so I will have to see if it has worked.

My relief is that VW has finally recognised there is a fault with door and issued service bulletins to the dealers.