Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electric side door

C

caliblue

caliblue
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are having trouble with the electric side door which frequently stops half way across when closing then suddenly judders and opens again.
It happens when activated by the key fob, the button on the dash and when pulled to by hand.
It has been in the garage under warranty and all the parts relating to the door have been replaced but the problem is still there.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Sounds like a dodgy safety sensor,that thinks something is in the doors path so it opens it again.
But if all the relevant parts have been replaced I guess they have changed that too.

Thanks for that Andy.
We have had the following repairs-slide door control unit twice, a new pinch seal, a new guide rail twice and a replacement motor and roller.
The wheel arch has also been repainted twice as it has been scuffed by the door.
We would really appreciate some more suggestions. Thanks.

Same with mine, really a pain. It's on a list of things I need to book into VW to have done on warranty.

My door came off the top runner and broke the thinghy at the top right. Up till then it had worked fine, after repair it developed these problems.

We have had the same intermittent fault with half closing and then opening again.
Though weirdly this year it hasn't done it at all.
When it was in for warranty work earlier this year they replaced the external door handle as they reckoned it was sticking.
Like i say though it's been fine this year anyway so no way of knowing whether this was the problem.

Hi bought my first cali 2 weeks ago but having a same problem half open and close electric door problem. when i am trying to close using remote then suddenly in half way its come back. some time you have to try 4-5 times. any one have same kind of problem or any one fixed successfully before? The last owner say they never had this problem before. my cali is still in warranty so if any one know the fix then please let me know.

thanks
JK

Make sure all the nooks and crannys are clean. It should then be ok....you can hold your hand on the handle as it closes which will help and likely clear any obstruction

As above, ours has done it but after a clean of the chanels at the top and bottom, it is fine again for a while. It only takes a tiny bit of crud to effect the operation.

We have carefully cleaned both the top and bottom channels but the door is still giving us problems.We have made a video of the door trying to close and four times in succession the door closed half way across then opened again. On the fifth attempt we held the handle lightly as it started to close and it closed properly.
We have forwarded the video to the VW van centre and hope the matter is being looked into.We think the problem is something wrong with the handle as all other parts relating to the door have been replaced when the van was within warranty.
Unfortunately when the van has been connected to the computer whilst at the van centre the computer does not highlight any malfunction so nothing is done to rectify the fault.
We are hoping the video might throw some light on the problem.

Ours is playing up.
It won't open/close at all using the button on the remote and will only work with the dash button/door handle when the engine is running and then as above, sometimes closes, sometimes doesn't
All other locking, doors, tailgate button all working OK.

Adding more....

i just came back form 3 days trip and I noticed a large number of small vertical scratches on the rear wheel arch. i couldn't think what could have caused it unless, of course, it's the door. but i put masking tap on it and couples of times open and close i found some cuts on masking tap as well so its conform its happen only door problem.

Any one notice same kind of scratches on rear-wheel arch?

thanks
JK

We have scratches on the wheel arch caused by the door and they have twice been resprayed under warranty. Now we are out of warranty and when the door problem has been resolved the vw van centre are covering half the cost of a respray and vw themselves are covering the other half.

I know its a problem in electric side door. but any one solved this problem in own cali and please share the experience way its ha append and what's the solution for that?

If I was ordering a brand new California I would NEVER NEVER choose the electric sliding door option. Mine has it and frankly I hate it, but I bought second hand and therefore had to compromise as the van is otherwise perfect. I think it's just not practical on a campervan, it's slow to operate and prone to misbehaving, not to mention the annoying warning alarm when it's closing. Fine for a people carrier but why they thought it may be a good idea on a campervan I just cant work out.
In fairness though I've not had any problems with it functioning, yet.

Yesterday (12/08/2013) i went to vw van centre and emplane about my side door problem to and after investigation the sad its perfectly fine doesn't found any thing wrong. its work fine at all the time and they showed me as well.
by that time its also look fine to me but when i reached at home and i tried again the problem came back like previous. i don't know what's going on but some thing is wrong. :x :x

thanks
JK

Our problem with the electric door has been published in the motoring section of today's Sunday Times. We have already been in touch with VW customer services and the video showing the malfunction should have been forwarded by the van centre.So we are waiting to see what happens next.We have been told they will ring us back next week.
We have again cleaned the channels and lightly greased them but still have the problem.
Will let you know what happens!

Any positive out come caliblue?

I have same problume not able to solved by my dealer.

Thanks
JK

This thread is becoming like a stuck record but I've got the same problem. It's intermittent and a light helping hand overcomes the problem. The key to this problem has got to be a sensor somewhere. I don't think the door actually detects objects in the way but must sense any restriction/resistance when closing. So the key is does this sensor work properly can its sensitivity be adjusted? Anybody know?

Ours has just been in dealers for the third time. First time the grooves were cleaned, second time the centre roller was replaced, neither cured it. This time the workshop report says “Sliding door switch connection slightly adrift”. The workshop manager is sure it is the handle that causes door opening problems and this has been mentioned in previous threads. We’re off to Devon and Cornwall to give it an extensive road test for the next two weeks, so shall report back afterwards, hopefully as a happy bunny! :thumb

Thanks Susi.

Please we need your feedback.

last Friday, After one week My cali back from vw delar. vw replaced top roller and anti-pinch sensor to solve my door problem. But after left garage i stopped my cali one of petrol station to fill diesel. same time i check my door and found the problem was remain same.
:headbang

I am so frustrated now this is third time and door problem same, no fix. Tomorrow morning i am going to call vw again. :-(

Thanks
JK

SusiBus said:
Ours has just been in dealers for the third time. First time the grooves were cleaned, second time the centre roller was replaced, neither cured it. This time the workshop report says “Sliding door switch connection slightly adrift”. The workshop manager is sure it is the handle that causes door opening problems and this has been mentioned in previous threads. We’re off to Devon and Cornwall to give it an extensive road test for the next two weeks, so shall report back afterwards, hopefully as a happy bunny! :thumb

We had the door handle replaced on ours whilst still under warranty. I was highly sceptical that this would solve the problem but touch wood after 18 months the door has worked faultlessly.
Might be worth mentioning this to your dealer jeetu.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to report, NOT A HAPPY BUNNY :headbang

Despite the VW workshop manager’s optimism, they haven’t cured the shuddering door syndrome, so it’s back to the dealer for the FOURTH time. This time I think I will suggest that they try “Freelys” dealers fix, i.e. a new handle, because I’m really not wanting to make a fifth visit, and it does appear they may need a little help in solving this problem !!

Has anyone else had their electric door closing problem solved successfully? :?:

Fourth time but no success door problem still remain same. Only some improvement after this repair, previously its failing 6/10 times but now 2/10 times. This time they changed middle roller.

i am going to talk with vw again.

its too much now :headbang

JK

i think it's a standard problem & no solution as such just advise if it does it make sure you do it with a light hand on the handle next time & it will be fine.

I found my scratches on rear wheel arch were caused by the plastic inside panel on the door not being 100% pushed into clips so go inside the van & push it hard to check it's located :)