Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California roof install, voltage issues

speedo

speedo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Morning all. I've recently had a california roof fitted, into our caravelle, and I'm in the process of working it up, using the original switch and control unit.
Last night I got it all working( well the roof anyway). But it keeps coming up voltage stabilisation fault. I've not installed fridge, heating etc, just electric roof atm. But was wondering how to get around the voltage issues, as I'm not currently running a voltage monitor control unit. Has anyone come across this if or when installing a cali roof in to a caravelle

20210628_181015.jpg

Sounds like you need a voltage stabiliser? Does the display unit not run on 12v?
Does the wiring scheme show a separate stabiliser unit?

Guessing here but it could be J519
FC9C7403-8AFD-4728-981D-BFD65CD68C02.png

Could well be what you need. It’s sits between the display and roof hydraulic control unit.

Morning all. I've recently had a california roof fitted, into our caravelle, and I'm in the process of working it up, using the original switch and control unit.
Last night I got it all working( well the roof anyway). But it keeps coming up voltage stabilisation fault. I've not installed fridge, heating etc, just electric roof atm. But was wondering how to get around the voltage issues, as I'm not currently running a voltage monitor control unit. Has anyone come across this if or when installing a cali roof in to a caravelle

View attachment 80782
Does that error occur just using the Leisure battery to power the roof?
In the California the Ignition has to be On as a safety feature.
Does the error occur if the Engine is running or you are on Mains Hookup?
Do you have a large enough Leisure battery? The California has a 150amp leisure supply composed of 2 x 75 amp batteries wired in parallel.

Thanks chaps for the info and help.
Just to make it clearer.. I have wired in the roof, using VW diagrams, and where possible, ive run the correct wire to the correct fuse box and location.
The J519, is power supply control unit. I have that, and the wire is in the correct pin location.
I don't have a leisure battery ATM, its an "in progress install".
Basically, i`ve purchased an Ex mobility caravelle (interior missing...perfect) for the cost of a van.
I wanted an Original Cali roof, which i have acquired ..
I have got it working, via the correct control unit, but the wiring had been cut at the A pilla.
Following the diagrams, I have it working. BUT within about 5 seconds the "voltage fault" pops up on the display, and it stops working. so you turn the knob and go again, for 5 seconds.
So the roof works, but in 5 second bursts.
The reading n the display says 3.8v. BUT, all the wires are getting battery voltage.
Do I need to install a voltage reg? The leisure battery is on my list of thing to do, but atm, shes running of the vehicle battery..
Im not sure which direction to go next. Is there any companies or persons, that have undertaken this `retro fit` before?
Thanks
Pauly

cali.jpg

cali1.jpg

cali2.jpg

cali3.jpg

cali4.jpg

cali5.jpg

cali6.jpg

cali11.jpg

Thats great, Ill contact them.
Thank you ..

Yes, the roof came with hydraulic pump, control unit. The installer just fitted a toggle switch to get it working, but I wanted OE fitment, so I sourced the display/ control and loom. But it had been cut half way down the A pillar
Obviously who ever removed it just cut through the pillars when removing the roof, and didn't remove the loom!!

Thats great, Ill contact them.
Thank you ..

Yes, the roof came with hydraulic pump, control unit. The installer just fitted a toggle switch to get it working, but I wanted OE fitment, so I sourced the display/ control and loom. But it had been cut half way down the A pillar
Obviously who ever removed it just cut through the pillars when removing the roof, and didn't remove the loom!!
I'm no electrician, but the Control Panel uses 2 power sources on the California. The engine battery via Ignition On and the leisure Battery to power the roof hydraulics. Might there be some interaction as you are only using one power source?
I presume the simple switch system worked OK?

Is that not simply the interlock to stop you raising the roof on just the leisure battery?
Does the van not need the engine running to operate the roof?

Is that not simply the interlock to stop you raising the roof on just the leisure battery?
Does the van not need the engine running to operate the roof?
No. The Ignition ON is basically a safety system to prevent little hands accidentally triggering the roof. Presuming that an adult would be in procession of the keys.
The Leisure Batteries power the Roof. No need for the engine to be running, unless the Leisure Batteries are too low in which case you get a " Start Engine " message on the Control Panel.

There should be more to the J519 unit (the sides are denoted jagged indicating it’s continued elsewhere ) but I can’t see any sign of it on any of the other scheme pages.

Back