Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calis for sale

I am looking at purchasing an Ocean and as many have said the used Cali's are way too high.

A 2020 Cali is £60k but I can get a brand new one, fully spec’d with 5 years warranty / servicing + roadside assistance for less than 80k

I would have gone 2nd hand if the prices were more realistic
its been like that for a while, hence why i bought new 18 months ago

If buying a new one the high second hand value will change from being a negative to a positive factor.
yup in correlation to the above, hence why i bought new again 6 months ago lol

Funny post on the ID Buzz Forum the other day....someone selling a 1yr old ID Buzz Style with 2000miles on the clock .....asking 66k....will throw in an rather uninspiring number plate. (Probably default £400 at most and in the eye of the beholder)

His response was however magic when people questioned his sanity..... If it doesn't sell, I'll just leave it in the garage.....LMAO

You used to be able to buy at the end of the lease. Price offerednormally close to auction auction price as saves the lease company the hassle of processing the car etc. Lots of ex lease cars go straight to auction unless its a model / spec that is demand by the dealers.

We had old shape xc90 once on a 3 year lease, covered 75k miles. Purchase price was £12.5k. Same age/mileage were about £18k on the dealers forecourts. We didn't buy it.
Unfortunately they no longer offer trade prices when you request a price to purchase. This is VWFS anyway, others may be different.

I've bought a couple of ex-lease cars where the price has been favorable but the most recent a couple of years ago was a T-Roc R which they wanted over £31k for a 2 year old with 20k plus miles. When I asked them about the pricing and referred back to previous purchases there response was...

"The price we provide is in line with the current retail market and where you would expect to find a like for like vehicle"

I am looking at purchasing an Ocean and as many have said the used Cali's are way too high.

A 2020 Cali is £60k but I can get a brand new one, fully spec’d with 5 years warranty / servicing + roadside assistance for less than 80k

I would have gone 2nd hand if the prices were more realistic
But surely that's a good thing if they hold their value well. If you bought one for around £80k new you wouldn't want to have depreciated much below £60k after 4 years. One of the reasons why I bought new is that they reputably hold their value well, although they are not as good as they were but that will have something to do with covid and how many they've sold up to the run out, I guess.

I guess the question is are they holding their value *that* well, or are would-be sellers unrealistic? Earlier I said I can buy a new Ocean with some extras for £68k, that is now down to closer to £66k (and there's 5 years service/5 year warranty). Yet just look in the for sale forum - there is a new listing where someone wants £69,750 for a 2 year old van with 8000+ miles. Is that a van holding its value well, or is it a van that is going to sit there unsold? I don't know but I hope the latter, in the sense that I hope a buyer has more sense than that.

I'm looking to buy and close to pulling the trigger, but the fact the count of 2023 and 2024 Oceans on auto trader is slowly rising rather than falling is making me sit tight a bit longer.

Purely supply and demand, never seen so many for sale on Autotrader. The camping boom is over for many people.
Good news. Hopefully we can get back to a workable level of spontaneity as opposed to everywhere being booked up. Number of times we’ve camped in the UK since CoVid I can count on one hand.

Good news. Hopefully we can get back to a workable level of spontaneity as opposed to everywhere being booked up. Number of times we’ve camped in the UK since CoVid I can count on one hand.
Lower pitch prices would be nice too if it continues to quieten down, some rip off prices the last couple of years. I might just be dreaming though.

Just to give some numbers, I remember last summer their were about 80 Calis for sale on Autotrader, that is now 228 and rising. Before Christmas there were 10 on this site and now 66 which has been the case for a while, seems to be a few new ones so I guess some are shifting. Still difficult to guage what is really happening in the market but suggests to me that prices will need to drop for some sellers. There may also be an argument that no production until new model could boost resale values; who knows?

I started tracking auto trader numbers more recently, but it's also interesting to see the count of 2023 and newer used Californias (some are pre-reg):

May 13: 82; 68 are Oceans
May 26: 94; 77 are Oceans
June 17: 101; 84 are Oceans

I don't have a sense of how this compares to previous years.

Just to give some numbers, I remember last summer their were about 80 Calis for sale on Autotrader, that is now 228 and rising. Before Christmas there were 10 on this site and now 66 which has been the case for a while, seems to be a few new ones so I guess some are shifting. Still difficult to guage what is really happening in the market but suggests to me that prices will need to drop for some sellers. There may also be an argument that no production until new model could boost resale values; who knows?
Yes agree, it’s very difficult to predict how the market will respond to the new model. I started this thread to try and get a sense as a prospective buyer and some fantastic insight from people but it seems no one can say for sure. That said there are some erratic prices out there but time will tell what the market value will be for used Calis going forward.

Update: The van is gone. It was a pretty well loaded 2-tone 4Motion Ocean with just the diff lock and trailer assistant missing from the options list. List price in 2022 was €100,500 or there abouts, I paid €94,500 for it in Jan 2022.
[…]
. Then got a second viewing and sold it for €63,900. Whole process took around 3 weeks.

So that's the value of a well loaded, 2,5 year old Ocean in southern Germany.
Ouchy. A bit better than a car (that would have depreciated by close to 50% in 2.5 years) but not that much.

Yes agree, it’s very difficult to predict how the market will respond to the new model. I started this thread to try and get a sense as a prospective buyer and some fantastic insight from people but it seems no one can say for sure. That said there are some erratic prices out there but time will tell what the market value will be for used Calis going forward.
I certainly won’t be buying the new one, be interesting to see what happens to T6 prices once the current supply drys up, the only certainty we have is longer term there’s won’t be any new T6.1s available

I think many buyers who shun the T7 are wanting to buy only a new vehicle therefore they'll just look at alternatives with other manufacturers rather than a used T6.1. I've mentioned in another post that the revised Marco Polo may increase market share, I also think Westfalia may do okay out of it. This of course is only if people don't buy the T7 in significant numbers and even this is too early to say.

I think many buyers who shun the T7 are wanting to buy only a new vehicle therefore they'll just look at alternatives with other manufacturers rather than a used T6.1. I've mentioned in another post that the revised Marco Polo may increase market share, I also think Westfalia may do okay out of it. This of course is only if people don't buy the T7 in significant numbers and even this is too early to say.
Marco Polo is a better option if I was looking to change, T7 second door spoils it and compromises the kitchen. That said don’t like the MP pop top, hopefully their one does not leak.

Psa more numbers showing the Calis taxed/registered in UK.
The compound effect shows we have more Calis (12k+) than ever as you might expect but I guess even this is limited by the production line. The few Calis SORN tend to be more in winter months. I can surmise from this that Calis are reliable vehicles given the number manufactuered since 2008 appears similar to those currently taxed. Compare this to PT Cruisers where numbers taxed are a tiny fraction of those produced; sampling other vehicle types also show considerable variation in registrations year on year. So, if we can rely on these numbers and my sums/interpretation, the Calis currently for sale (est. 250 to 300) are about 2 or 3 percent of the total in circulation. Safe to say they will remain a desirable product given we have a population of 70M and most people I speak to like the idea of a campervan.
Screenshot_20240623_080907_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240623_102954_Chrome.jpg

[…]

Ouchy. A bit better than a car (that would have depreciated by close to 50% in 2.5 years) but not that much.
It had to go to fund a new boat and as the trend of price drops applies to them too, it's wooden dollars to a certain extent. The boat I bought was around €30k cheaper than the same model a year or so ago .... IMO it looks like interest rates and inflation are putting the squeeze on pandemic toys, helped along by the re-emergence of package holidays.