Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calis for sale

On the subject of leasing there's some pretty good deals on the Grand California presently. I wonder if many people actually lease these sorts of vehicles over actually buying them?

If you're in the market for one, the monthly costs look roughly the same as what the depreciation would be over the same period.
Agree, sometimes if you can be flexible on vehicle choice the total lease costs are less than depreciation - and way less than HP or PCP.

Over the last few years I’ve had a Golf GTD (£30k list) for £149 a month, a Passat Estate Allmotion (£39k list) for £165 a month and a Golf R Estate (loaded - list £46k) for £211 a month. All with 6 months payments down and including tyres and maintenance. All direct from VW dealers too.

Agree, sometimes if you can be flexible on vehicle choice the total lease costs are less than depreciation - and way less than HP or PCP.

Over the last few years I’ve had a Golf GTD (£30k list) for £149 a month, a Passat Estate Allmotion (£39k list) for £165 a month and a Golf R Estate (loaded - list £46k) for £211 a month. All with 6 months payments down and including tyres and maintenance. All direct from VW dealers too.
How do you get these prices? They are way, way below anything I have seen even without any kind of maintenance. Secret handshake??

On the subject of leasing there's some pretty good deals on the Grand California presently. I wonder if many people actually lease these sorts of vehicles over actually buying them?

If you're in the market for one, the monthly costs look roughly the same as what the depreciation would be over the same period.
I would have leased if the numbers stacked up in my favour compared to buying. What are the Grand’s lease deals?

A mate had a grand on order with 56% discount (there were special terms) because he works for MAN but cancelled because of putting the money into a GT3 RS was more important.

How do you get these prices? They are way, way below anything I have seen even without any kind of maintenance. Secret handshake??
Haha no secret handshake just kept an eye on various forums and websites - leasing.com carwow leaseloco etc. This was from 2017 upto 2023. Select Car Leasing have some very good deals sometimes.
Last one I had before the Cali was a BMW 118 M-Sport auto direct from Berry Heathrow for £227 a month inc maintenance.

There has been fantastic deals in the past but since covid theres been very little in terms of any interesting apart from the XM

I‘ve personally had an S5 for around £8500 total for 2 years and a V90 cross country for around £5k for 18 months, both around £50k list. Depreciation would have been a hell of a lot more. Most recent was a T-Roc R for £285 a month with 6 months down.

I would have leased if the numbers stacked up in my favour compared to buying. What are the Grand’s lease deals?

A mate had a grand on order with 56% discount (there were special terms) because he works for MAN but cancelled because of putting the money into a GT3 RS was more important.
Like the other posters have said, I just keep an eye on the various leasing sights, many have value for money ratings based on the list price and the monthly cost. There certainly isn't the deals that were there prior to Covid. I got a Volvo V90 D5 for £245pm for 18 months with no deposit pre covid and an Audi A8 for £479pm on similar terms. Sadly those sorts of deals just don't seem to be there anymore.

The GC lease is currently showing as a 'hot deal' on nationwide car leasings website. They were around £850 but prices seems to have risen a bit recently to around £950. But if you call it £12,000 a year I'd still say the depreciation of buying outright wouldn't be any less and you're also losing interest on capital you'd be tying up buying outright.

I read Best Leasing Deals on pistonheads.com and used to browse leasing.com. These gave me excellent deals in past: Mercedes SLK diesel, Audi S8, Audi A8, Abarth 124 Spider, BMW Z4 and now decent deal on California Beach, which should be delivered soon. Ocean was a bit more expensive, but now I think, it was worth higher price too. But, at the time of ordering California, I was unemployed, so didn't want to push with higher lease cost.
I passed on other good deals like mentioned S5 and BMW 8 in 2020. 8 series had ridiculous excess miles cost at 42p and I always go over contract miles.

To compare, S8 and A8 costed about £1K less total for 2 years lease, than California Beach deal. Discounted price of these were respectively: £60K (£80K list), £50K (£70K list) and probably £52K for California. P11d price was £64K, but I'm sure VWFS is not paying that.

Interesting thread and one I have been following.
In my opinion, like anything else you want to buy, 'value' is the determining factor in the decision.
We have just bought a used 2007 T5 SE (from here on the classified), as it was initially in the 'that looks like what we need' bracket (we looked at quite a few before committing..not all that glitters..)
We gave ourselves a budget, along with a little 'wiggle room for the 'right one'.
We were buying the van purely for 'going away', with the odd domestic use thrown in, as not our main vehicle.
For us it was 'value for money' in its condition, history, mileage etc, and this made our decision easier, and a 'happy to pay that, for that'

At the end of the day ANY item being sold, is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, especially on big ticket items (which I would class buying a Cali as).
As a seller, you will also have a 'I'm not selling it for less than..' in your mind, hence a figure for 'negotiating' will be built in.

I read Best Leasing Deals on pistonheads.com and used to browse leasing.com. These gave me excellent deals in past: Mercedes SLK diesel, Audi S8, Audi A8, Abarth 124 Spider, BMW Z4 and now decent deal on California Beach, which should be delivered soon. Ocean was a bit more expensive, but now I think, it was worth higher price too. But, at the time of ordering California, I was unemployed, so didn't want to push with higher lease cost.
I passed on other good deals like mentioned S5 and BMW 8 in 2020. 8 series had ridiculous excess miles cost at 42p and I always go over contract miles.

To compare, S8 and A8 costed about £1K less total for 2 years lease, than California Beach deal. Discounted price of these were respectively: £60K (£80K list), £50K (£70K list) and probably £52K for California. P11d price was £64K, but I'm sure VWFS is not paying that.
I too use to follow the very long threads on pistonheads, and that’s where I got the heads up on the leases I took out. I do remember a stonking deal on the S8, was it around 2016?

T6 Ocean bought for cash in March 2017.
Sold to WBAC in June 2024 for cash. Wouldn't be mine to sell if leased.
Loss was £14K.

Pretty sure that my initial calculation of benefit of paying cash over Leasing was correct, interest lost over the period would have been pretty low.

Last edited:
Sold to BBAC in June 2024 for cash. Wouldn't be mine to sell if leased.
Loss was £14K.

Pretty sure that my initial calculation of benefit of paying cash over Leasing was correct, interest lost over the period would have been pretty low.

You used to be able to buy at the end of the lease. Price offerednormally close to auction auction price as saves the lease company the hassle of processing the car etc. Lots of ex lease cars go straight to auction unless its a model / spec that is demand by the dealers.

We had old shape xc90 once on a 3 year lease, covered 75k miles. Purchase price was £12.5k. Same age/mileage were about £18k on the dealers forecourts. We didn't buy it.

The other thing people often overlook with leasing is you get your road tax included that is typically a saving in four figures over the term.

Sold to BBAC in June 2024 for cash. Wouldn't be mine to sell if leased.
Loss was £14K.

That's because of covid. When I was considering buying out A8 from VWFS, I assumed that there will be at least 10K depreciation in next 3 years. What happened, the same car was for sale 3.5y later at higher price than buyout in September 2020. But who could predict it? But for BMW Z4 acquired in 2021, depreciation was similar/higher than cost of lease and as pointed out, road tax was included in lease cost and with above £40K cars that can be significant amount. In normal market, depreciation is usually higher than good lease offer, especially for higher priced cars, that tend to drop in value quickly. As always, swings and roundabouts. I believe that there are cars that you lease cheaply and cars that you buy. So currently, I have cash frozen in two cars and 3rd one coming leased.

S8 deal was in summer 2015. A8 in 2017.

That's because of covid. When I was considering buying out A8 from VWFS, I assumed that there will be at least 10K depreciation in next 3 years. What happened, the same car was for sale 3.5y later at higher price than buyout in September 2020. But who could predict it? But for BMW Z4 acquired in 2021, depreciation was similar/higher than cost of lease and as pointed out, road tax was included in lease cost and with above £40K cars that can be significant amount. In normal market, depreciation is usually higher than good lease offer, especially for higher priced cars, that tend to drop in value quickly. As always, swings and roundabouts. I believe that there are cars that you lease cheaply and cars that you buy. So currently, I have cash frozen in two cars and 3rd one coming leased.

S8 deal was in summer 2015. A8 in 2017.
I had ordered my A8 in 2017 on a 3 yr lease deal too! The expected depreciation over 3 years was nearer £40k not £10k! In normal times the A8 is one of the biggest depreciating cars around. The A8 is the same as the BMW 7 series, they're flagship models which they often sell at a loss.

People I know in the trade tell me leasing is a covert method manufacturers use to offload vehicles that aren't selling well or they have surplus stock of. You'll generally find that uber desirable marques don't make good lease deals as lease companies can't get the discounts up front.

You used to be able to buy at the end of the lease. Price offerednormally close to auction auction price as saves the lease company the hassle of processing the car etc. Lots of ex lease cars go straight to auction unless its a model / spec that is demand by the dealers.

We had old shape xc90 once on a 3 year lease, covered 75k miles. Purchase price was £12.5k. Same age/mileage were about £18k on the dealers forecourts. We didn't buy it.
I find it strange how those that use leasing/PPC are convinced that it is cheaper despite the Manufacture and Dealer information showing how much more the total cost is, at least £10K more than purchase price.

Successful marketing I guess.

end of my input on this topic.

Last edited:
I find it strange how those that use leasing/PPC are convinced that it is cheaper despite the Manufacture and Dealer information showing how much more the total cost is, at least £10 more than purchase price.

Sign of the times , I want it now so need to finance at whatever cost

I find it strange how those that use leasing/PPC are convinced that it is cheaper despite the Manufacture and Dealer information showing how much more the total cost is, at least £10 more than purchase price.

Leasing is not cheaper, just a lower monthly payment to drive a new car that covered by warranty and is inclusive of road tax.

If we purchased new, then would most likely need to put down a substantial deposit, and then pay interest on financed monthly payments on a depreciating asset. Many people forget about the finance cost when they eventually sell vehicles.

Both myself and wife been made redundant a few times in the past, so if this happens you can just default on the lease happens and hand the car back.

Our camper is 9 years old purchased cash.
Resale value is unlikely to depreciate due to its age, so can be sold to give a lump sum if we need it.

Yep, most people do it every month when they pay their mortgage.
Mortgage is a different proposition.

whenever you enter the property market, you generally build capital. Over a period , not so with vehicles

I had ordered my A8 in 2017 on a 3 yr lease deal too! The expected depreciation over 3 years was nearer £40k not £10k! In normal times the A8 is one of the biggest depreciating cars around. The A8 is the same as the BMW 7 series, they're flagship models which they often sell at a loss.

People I know in the trade tell me leasing is a covert method manufacturers use to offload vehicles that aren't selling well or they have surplus stock of. You'll generally find that uber desirable marques don't make good lease deals as lease companies can't get the discounts up front.
I was talking about 10K depreciation of 3y A8 after buying it at the end of lease, so 3rd to 6th year. I took 2y deal and extended it for 3rd year. Invoice price £50K, total cost over 3y around £15K, depreciation £25K from discounted invoice price, from list, it would be £45K depreciation over 3 years.

This particular car was stored for 9 months before I collected it, one of many that were offloaded in summer 2017, before new D5 model coming to the market. And S8 deal in 2015 was way to offload 50 stock/build slots, just before announcement of S8 plus model.

I find it strange how those that use leasing/PPC are convinced that it is cheaper despite the Manufacture and Dealer information showing how much more the total cost is, at least £10K more than purchase price.

There's difference between PCH and PCP, both commonly called by people lease, but only first one is actual lease.

If you can use calculator and establish total cost of ownership over specified period, you will know which method is the cheapest to drive particular car at offered deals.

I never thought about buying luxo barges or felt the need to own them, but they were offered so cheaply on deals, that it would be a shame not to lease them. The same goes for California. I always thought it's too expensive to be 2nd or 3rd car that's not used daily or weekly and didn't consider buying it. But trying it out as a lease at decent cost is different. I can use it as daily and camper and not to worry about too much mileage I put on it or anything else, because I know, I will return it at the end. If I like it, I can always buy well priced used one with spec I want or try to buy leased one from VWFS. I do not freeze any cash in it either.

I'm an opportunist, I take what's on offer and go with the flow. If I want to own something special, I buy it after considering all pros and cons and depreciation.

I am looking at purchasing an Ocean and as many have said the used Cali's are way too high.

A 2020 Cali is £60k but I can get a brand new one, fully spec’d with 5 years warranty / servicing + roadside assistance for less than 80k

I would have gone 2nd hand if the prices were more realistic

I am looking at purchasing an Ocean and as many have said the used Cali's are way too high.

A 2020 Cali is £60k but I can get a brand new one, fully spec’d with 5 years warranty / servicing + roadside assistance for less than 80k

I agree buyer and sellers seem to be sitting it out to see who will blink first, my money is on the sellers!!!

If buying a new one the high second hand value will change from being a negative to a positive factor.