Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calis for sale

Back to the original thread topic, my Cali is also for sale, it's been priced as the cheapest 150 kW 4Motion Ocean in Germany for about 2 weeks now - and it's pretty loaded with extras ... 4 inquiries with one viewing so far, another on Friday. First to see it was very interested but worried about the solar system - basically isn't a DIYer so doesn't know how he would get it fixed if anything went wrong - should hear a yes/no tonight. Another viewing on Friday, one enquiry from a dealer and one person who deleted his account on the portal after a brief exchange.

I need to shift it, so I'm being very flexible on price, I'm moving back to boats after a brief foray into Camper vans as I always wanted a VW Bus. I'm not that bothered by selling it at a fire sale price as the same is currently true in the 2nd boat market, so it's wooden dollars to a certain extent.

The phenomenon seems to be that life is returning to normal and the pandemic toys are being disposed of - so there's a glut of campers, boats, caravans etc.

Hopefully be gone by the weekend but who knows.

Update: The van is gone. It was a pretty well loaded 2-tone 4Motion Ocean with just the diff lock and trailer assistant missing from the options list. List price in 2022 was €100,500 or there abouts, I paid €94,500 for it in Jan 2022. Put it on at €72,000 which was the cheapest example in Germany at the time given the spec ..... very little interest, 10 people parked it, no phone calls ... dropped the price to €69,995 ... 17 people parked it but no improvement, dropped again to €65,995 ... got a viewing and an offer of €60k, the buyer wouldn't budge. Then got a second viewing and sold it for €63,900. Whole process took around 3 weeks.

So that's the value of a well loaded, 2,5 year old Ocean in southern Germany.

I’ve not got a cali myself but my wife and I would love to get one so this is from that PoV.

There are several reasons why we haven’t:

First there is the the high cost which is partially due to the COVID effect where demand increased and prices shot up. Like others have said the asking price of 4 year old cali isn’t that far a new cali.

Second £50-60k for a van is a lot of money to put into a cali at this time. Whilst many say you don’t actually lose money with a cali as you can sell it on for what you bought it I don’t think this will necessarily happen in the long time as we move away from diesel. We would be looking to keep for the longer term (up to 5 years). The upcoming 2030/2035 changes towards electric make me worry about the market for a diesel cali in the future and what governments will do regarding diesel at that point.

This makes me think we should wait for electric or other fuelled versions in the future. That seems to be a very long wait as VW are still intent on selling diesels with the new version and no intention to release an electric version at present.

The issue is we don’t really want to wait so have researched the ID buzz as a campervan. It’s by no means a cali but there are suppliers that offer some accessorises (fold out mattress, insulated window covers, swivel seat plates and even a pop up roof via horizon roofs). It wouldn’t be a campervan as such, more an EV that would be a second vehicle for us and that could double for the occasional overnight sleep (we aren’t to bothered about cooking).

For us we will keep on hiring a cali once or twice a year.

Reading this thread prompted me to see how much my current Cali which will be going back to the dealer soon is worth on WBAC. It’s a 3 month old Ocean with less than 2k miles with a list price of around £87k (it has a lot of options)

WBAC price today £56750, that’s a £30k loss on list price in 3 months :shocked
WBAC quoted price is MAX price. Faultless condition needed inside and out, ie no stone chips or even slightest scratches.
In practice they will do a detailed check on the vehicle and make an offer price based on that inspection and current pricing on the day.

I should mention there are a few issues with a ID buzz in the size and remaining weight allowance. There is also the price. A 2022 ID buzz are still £50k so it’s a lot of money when it doesn’t really do what a cali can properly do.

Update: The van is gone. It was a pretty well loaded 2-tone 4Motion Ocean with just the diff lock and trailer assistant missing from the options list. List price in 2022 was €100,500 or there abouts, I paid €94,500 for it in Jan 2022. Put it on at €72,000 which was the cheapest example in Germany at the time given the spec ..... very little interest, 10 people parked it, no phone calls ... dropped the price to €69,995 ... 17 people parked it but no improvement, dropped again to €65,995 ... got a viewing and an offer of €60k, the buyer wouldn't budge. Then got a second viewing and sold it for €63,900. Whole process took around 3 weeks.

So that's the value of a well loaded, 2,5 year old Ocean in southern Germany.

30k euro of depreciation in 2.5 years is pretty sobering. (It's over 40k depreciation if you use UK inflation rates, not sure how that compares to German inflation since Jan 2022).

Nice Cali 4Motion Ocean 204 Diff Lock, with a fully stacked options list on the “for sale” section ;)

I’ve not got a cali myself but my wife and I would love to get one so this is from that PoV.

First there is the the high cost which is partially due to the COVID effect where demand increased and prices shot up. Like others have said the asking price of 4 year old cali isn’t that far a new cali.

Second £50-60k for a van is a lot of money to put into a cali at this time. Whilst many say you don’t actually lose money with a cali as you can sell it on for what you bought it I don’t think this will necessarily happen in the long time as we move away from diesel. We would be looking to keep for the longer term (up to 5 years). The upcoming 2030/2035 changes towards electric make me worry about the market for a diesel cali in the future and what governments will do regarding diesel at that point.

This makes me think we should wait for electric or other fuelled versions in the future. That seems to be a very long wait as VW are still intent on selling diesels with the new version and no intention to release an electric version at present.

The issue is we don’t really want to wait so have researched the ID buzz as a campervan. It’s by no means a cali but there are suppliers that offer some accessorises (fold out mattress, insulated window covers, swivel seat plates and even a pop up roof via horizon roofs). It wouldn’t be a campervan as such, more an EV that would be a second vehicle for us and that could double for the occasional overnight sleep (we aren’t to bothered about cooking).

dont worry about diesel it will be here for a long time for sure if you live in a city it might be a problem

If you want to feel better, Porsche Taycan values are "interesting". And at least you can insure a Cali...see Range Rover insurance issues.
Tell me about it! I've got a pretty vanilla Range Rover diesel and I'm replacing it with a fire breathing BMW M car which has 750hp and Admiral said I'd actually get a refund when I swap over, Crazy!

Tell me about it! I've got a pretty vanilla Range Rover diesel and I'm replacing it with a fire breathing BMW M car which has 750hp and Admiral said I'd actually get a refund when I swap over, Crazy!
Is this the XM hybrid? My step brother took delivery of the new Range Rover and he said it cost him £8k to insure it which is ridiculous. He also said that he was borrowing a mates SF90 and only cost £3k to insure. I can’t understand why Range rovers are being targeted so much, are they really that easy to steal compared to other cars.

Is this the XM hybrid? My step brother took delivery of the new Range Rover and he said it cost him £8k to insure it which is ridiculous. He also said that he was borrowing a mates SF90 and only cost £3k to insure. I can’t understand why Range rovers are being targeted so much, are they really that easy to steal compared to other cars.
Yes the XM Label, not the prettiest car but I've got a really good lease deal on it. I switched from a Ferrari Roma to the Range Rover and my premium doubled.

Yes the XM Label, not the prettiest car but I've got a really good lease deal on it. I switched from a Ferrari Roma to the Range Rover and my premium doubled.
At least you can’t see the car from the inside, which I imagine is nicer than the outside. I quite like the Roma, seems a rather big contrast going to a Range Rover.

Very true, lots of new factors interest rates haven’t been this high in years and Calis use to only rise in price slowly, diesel is trying to be fazed out, peoples outgoings are crazy, cheap flights to sunny places, most people have seen Scotland now and want sun without midges and a flushing loo.
Time will tell but £60-£85k for a cali is crazy. Loved owning one when I bought a year old 4motion Cali for £42k.
(Unintentional first post) Well, I’m trying to persuade my wife to spend all our money on a nearly-new Cali, and this didn’t help - but it did make us laugh …

The world runs on diesel.

Indeed ---> https://www.carwow.co.uk/bmw/xm#gref

Ewww! That would need to be some absurdly low priced lease deal to tempt me. It's like a 1X on steroids, not to mention silly fast for UK roads. The interior does look sumptuous though.
Sadly agree it's the first car I've leased that I'm not actually that keen on. But it's a grand a month on a 2 year contract for a £175k vehicle so it's insanely cheap. The looks aren't the best and it has an overly firm ride. But the lease cost the same as a base spec X5 so I thought the price was just too tempting. I may regret it as it's not really befitting of the M moniker, but at least it's very rapid.

Sadly agree it's the first car I've leased that I'm not actually that keen on. But it's a grand a month on a 2 year contract for a £175k vehicle so it's insanely cheap. The looks aren't the best and it has an overly firm ride. But the lease cost the same as a base spec X5 so I thought the price was just too tempting. I may regret it as it's not really befitting of the M moniker, but at least it's very rapid.
Wow. That lease cost is really insanely cheap. Or perhaps the list price is insanely expensive - as in they can’t sell any at that price?!

Wow. That lease cost is really insanely cheap. Or perhaps the list price is insanely expensive - as in they can’t sell any at that price?!

Its usually down to poor initial sales. They give the ‘cheap’ (is £1k p/month a bargain!) to give them visibility on the roads in the hope of generating sales interest.

The cost of one replacement tyre must be close to the monthly lease price!

Its usually down to poor initial sales. They give the ‘cheap’ (is £1k p/month a bargain!) to give them visibility on the roads in the hope of generating sales interest.

The cost of one replacement tyre must be close to the monthly lease price!
That would make sense, I've not seen a single one on the road. Of course cost is all relative and perhaps it's not such a bargain. But on the same lease terms at the cost my other choices were a Land Rover Defender 250, VW Toureg & Range Rover Velar. I concede these are probably more desirable than an XM but the list cost is half that of the BMW.

You are spending a grand a month on a car you don’t like seemingly just because it has a higher list price than cars you do like :headbang

Last edited:
On the subject of leasing there's some pretty good deals on the Grand California presently. I wonder if many people actually lease these sorts of vehicles over actually buying them?

If you're in the market for one, the monthly costs look roughly the same as what the depreciation would be over the same period.