Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

calitopper v mutze - which one is best?

Buy cheap buy twice I had one of these it didn't fit well at all

In my case they fits properly buying just once... But one does not dispute about tastes

BTW and just in case, I have absolutely nothing to do with this company and my only relationship to it is as a customer. I've bought several products from them and I'm very happy with both, products and sales/post sales service. Plus in someone need my help (language) with them just let me know, I have more interest in help members of this forum (who is providing me worthy information) that companies I don't care.

I'm very picky and very attached to my wallet's contents, so I always take my time before go for anything (people say too much). I've bought those product to them after some investigation and so far, I'm happy. Didn't spent a good amount of money in a brand new Cali to save 50 or 60 quid in a cover, so to my first is common sense, then quality, and then money.

Those product are not cheap.... OK, they are if you compare them to, for example, Brandrup's ones.

I'm not saying other products doesn't worth the money, neither that their are worse, because honestly I don't know them in person.

On the another hand, my experience is that sometimes expensive doesn't means quality. For example, I've bought Brandrup seat covers for my Cali, which are not precisely cheap, and despite they fit pretty well and are not bad, after a year using them, if I had to buy seat covers today, it's very likely I wouldn't do from Brandrup based in my personal experience.

Just provided some more options and the information I have.... happy to help people, but each one have to decide by itself.

Personally I only use my Comfortz Topper when the weather is appalling, normally winter only, as I use the vehicle so much the rest of the time the Canvas is rarely damp for more than 24 hrs and I am also fortunate to be able to raise the roof on the drive to dry it out. Never use it for Insulation as I just turn the Parking Heater up if necessary. As it is only used during the winter, in bad weather, I haven't bothered with a plastic window for the Solar Panel as the output is seriously reduced if the weather is that bad, especially snow.

As has been mentioned the Comfortz Topper is totally waterproof and there is a good 2" air gap all around between the Topper and Canvas and good ventilation as well.

We have a Cali Topper, really like but when it chucks it down it does get very wet on the inside, not really an issue as the main roof canvas stays dry. Raised with the supplier as its not actually that waterproof but didn't really get anywhere. We mainly use it as an extra layer when it's very cold which works well but you will get condensation etc. Will probably go for something else next time.

Forgot to say....when it gets very wet the water 'pools' in the seams at the bottom which can take a while to dry......in answer to your point we have used it in strong winds/driving rain quite a bit and quite a bit of water ingress, but as above at least the main roof canvas stayed dry....

Great feedback everyone - thank you! Now moving towards the Thais version - how breathable is the dupont material? Estresao - does it gather condensation at all inside? Also interested in the comment about it not fitting well? (Calikev).

more detail appreciated, bearing on ond the stories of roof damabe with other products - I think it was with the vanorak?

looking forward to the feedback!

Yes I had a vanorak it slides into the awning Chanel you throw it over and then raise the roof mine got caught whilst putting the roof up ripping the cover and damaging the roof.
I ordered an internal liner from Thais and it was a terrible fit and also very difficult to get it looking right I took it to nick at Comfortz who looked at it then made me one that did fit.

I have a Mutze cap and it's great. Easy to put on, take off, it insulates well and is compact and easy to store. Advantage-the roof canvas stays dry, disadvantage you have to put it away wet ( like the external screen covers). On balance I prefer to keep my roof canvas dry. Is it worth the extra money over the Cali topper I doubt it! I like the ones with windows so I can look out and see it it's worth getting up yet!

i´ve been using a Thaiss cover for a bit longer than a year (May 2015). Mine fits perfectly, never had a problem and besides I can fit it all alone, no need to bother the Ms. It´s rainproof and breathable, so far I haven´t had condensation, but I do keep at least one of the windows a bit open (both have a rainproof zipper) for ventilation. Besides it was way cheaper than others, at least when I bought it last year. So all in all I´m very satisfied, it´s a solid piece of kit, well manufactured. Never tried to get it into the tailgate though, not sure if it would fit...

I ordered an internal liner from Thais and it was a terrible fit and also very difficult to get it looking right I took it to nick at Comfortz who looked at it then made me one that did fit.

You didn't mention the terrible fit before I bought it off you:D
It took me a while to get it to fit perfectly - I had to reposition the fixings that are drilled into the headlining to get it right, have been using it for nearly 2 years now & if I were to change vans it would be coming with me.

Great feedback everyone - thank you! Now moving towards the Thais version - how breathable is the dupont material? Estresao - does it gather condensation at all inside? Also interested in the comment about it not fitting well? (Calikev).

more detail appreciated, bearing on ond the stories of roof damabe with other products - I think it was with the vanorak?

looking forward to the feedback!

It's breathable and I've never got condensation.There is room between the roof canvas and the protector

Mine fits well. I think the worse thing could be how if get attached in the awning rail, mainly because there are two smalls rails portions available to grab the cover from both extremes, so the awning area is lose and it's prone to flap when windy.

The attachments in the awning side are fit with velcro because you can use it with or without awning, so you can replace the attachment based on that. The used velcro is strong enough, but I've found I a extremely windy situation in Scotland something else is necessary.

I've bought several plastic clamps designed to grab fabric in Clash Olson (sorry, don't know the exact name at this moment) and I've improved the whole awning area. The Dupont Tyvek it's very resistant so, I'll be more afraid the roof can get damaged because a very string wind than because the cover.

Aside of that, I do similar to @WelshGas. On the beginning I've used it a lot, but I use it now very few because at the end it's a very big fabric you have to fold when leaving, which it's not pretty nice to do when it's raining or the fabric is wet. Even worse if you have to do it by your own. Same thing to install it when it's raining: It's not difficult to install, but it pretty annoying when raining.

I use more the internal liner (also sourced from Thaiss) because I'll always carry inside the Cali, in a handy place, and can install it in a minute if of get cold. I've managed to install it properly, and it's pretty effective to keep warm inside. The only annoying thing are the zipper's sliders, because they are metallic and trend to sound when windy. Nothing I cannot fix easily, but always forget to do

Kyham, is very good 20150826_110912.jpg

We used to have one of these but found it way too bulky and due to the inner lining it started to rub on the paint when putting the roof up, it is also about seven times the size of our new Cali topper!
Hi Blakeley, what Cali topper have you, any pics, thanks

+1 for Brandrup Isotop. Fit once and forget!! No storage problems at all because it lives permanently in the roof. No need to fit it every time you put the roof up and no need to put it away every time you put the roof down. Therefore no getting wet and no folding up a wet topper to store somewhere.
Hi Matthew,
I completely see all the advantages you point out, and actually for most UK camping it is probably a very good option but...

1) if it rains very hard, the outer VW pop top canvas will get wet, and if you have to pack up and move on, you are then storing your wet VW roof canvas in the roof, whereas you could fold your wet 'topper' into a bag and dry it when more convenient.

2) surely a topper that fits internally makes the upstairs area smaller - even if quite thin - and cannot be as robust a outer topper that provides a trapped insulated area of air.

3) I guess if you intend to do a week in the van in the alps at a ski resort one of the external ones is bound to be a better option?

It's very much a case of 'horses for courses, but I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this?
Thanks
Ian

BTW and just in case, I have absolutely nothing to do with this company and my only relationship to it is as a customer. I've bought several products from them and I'm very happy with both, products and sales/post sales service. Plus in someone need my help (language) with them just let me know, I have more interest in help members of this forum (who is providing me worthy information) that companies I don't care.

I'm very picky and very attached to my wallet's contents, so I always take my time before go for anything (people say too much). I've bought those product to them after some investigation and so far, I'm happy. Didn't spent a good amount of money in a brand new Cali to save 50 or 60 quid in a cover, so to my first is common sense, then quality, and then money.

Those product are not cheap.... OK, they are if you compare them to, for example, Brandrup's ones.

I'm not saying other products doesn't worth the money, neither that their are worse, because honestly I don't know them in person.

On the another hand, my experience is that sometimes expensive doesn't means quality. For example, I've bought Brandrup seat covers for my Cali, which are not precisely cheap, and despite they fit pretty well and are not bad, after a year using them, if I had to buy seat covers today, it's very likely I wouldn't do from Brandrup based in my personal experience.

Just provided some more options and the information I have.... happy to help people, but each one have to decide by itself.

Hi Estresao,
Very well explained. I think most people on this site are the same. We are all here to help and want to buy the best accessories, irrespective of manufacturer or cost. 'Buy cheap, buy twice' can often be the case, but not always and sometimes people are drawn to pay the highest price simply because they assume that if you pay the most you get the best - which is not always true either.

The odd thing about toppers is that most people agree that 'we' (normal, average California owners) will not NEED to use them very often, but we all seem to want one for that camping trip where we encounter really wet or windy conditions. We probably have a much greater need for one in the UK than anyone based in many parts of Europe as our summers are prone to lots of rain! Personally, I want a topper that I can use my on my Cali on rainy trips but also for a ski holiday trip to see if it can be done without it being too cold etc. I think my bigger issue would be where to store all the skis and boots!!!

Happy camping.
Cheers
Ian

Hi Matthew,
I completely see all the advantages you point out, and actually for most UK camping it is probably a very good option but...

1) if it rains very hard, the outer VW pop top canvas will get wet, and if you have to pack up and move on, you are then storing your wet VW roof canvas in the roof, whereas you could fold your wet 'topper' into a bag and dry it when more convenient.

2) surely a topper that fits internally makes the upstairs area smaller - even if quite thin - and cannot be as robust a outer topper that provides a trapped insulated area of air.

3) I guess if you intend to do a week in the van in the alps at a ski resort one of the external ones is bound to be a better option?

It's very much a case of 'horses for courses, but I'd be very interested in your thoughts on this?
Thanks
Ian

1. if it rains that hard you will get soaked taking it off & will have to pack both a wet topper and your coat etc. with an internal topper nothing wet is brought into the van.
2. we are talking approx 1mm thickness of liner so there is effectively no loss of space if the liner is pushed tight to the roof.
3. Yes for parking in one position in winter an external topper is probably best. For a van thats used to go out for the day / moved daily internal is a lot less hassle.

We've had both & didn't like external because:
1. hassle putting on & taking off
2. having to store it somewhere
3. Lack of ventilation - even if you get one with windows you can't open them
4. We never put the topper on until it was too late - e.g. already raining or feeling cold upstairs because of the hassle.

For us the internal liner answers all of the criticisms.

I think it comes down to this:
Do you like staying longer periods on campings=external topper
Do you use the cali as a vessel to take you to different places and mostly no more info than two nights in a row=internal topper.