Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

calitopper v mutze - which one is best?

simba

simba

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
HI - help! We are trying to decide between the cali topper (cheaper +PVC) v mutze (more expensive + airtex). we are focusing not so much on price but on insulation - which is better?, condensation (is PVC an issue) and packability (the mutze fits in the seat storage in the boot ). any thoughts / experiences please?

The calitopper is a better fit and also fits in the tailgate with the chairs it is also made in the uk and comes with a guarantee. I know I have had them all. The calitopper is not pvc

And just to make things more complicated still, Kyham also make one - the Kamper Cozi. Decent quality, and good value at about £180. Main downside (for me) is it's quite thick fabric so won't fit in the tailgate.

Price was a big factor for us on this one, as we haven't used the topper very much so far and I expect it will only be an occasional thing unless we do any long winter trips.

Reactions: RFH
+1 for the Brandrup Iso top, well worth the money and really keeps it warn upstairs in winter.

And just to make things more complicated still, Kyham also make one - the Kamper Cozi. Decent quality, and good value at about £180. Main downside (for me) is it's quite thick fabric so won't fit in the tailgate.

Price was a big factor for us on this one, as we haven't used the topper very much so far and I expect it will only be an occasional thing unless we do any long winter trips.
I had the vanorak the same principle as the kyham but a big design fault mine got caught going up and trapped buckling the roof so got a calitopper

+ 1 for the CaliTopper. It also has three windows which is great for letting extra light in. Not sure about the others.

+1 for Brandrup Isotop. Fit once and forget!! No storage problems at all because it lives permanently in the roof. No need to fit it every time you put the roof up and no need to put it away every time you put the roof down. Therefore no getting wet and no folding up a wet topper to store somewhere.

highly recommend the Brandrup Iso-Top, it is fit and forget and makes upstairs much more cosy, yes it is expensive but it is a quality product and well worth the money.

great feedback everyone - thank you. I think I may have misread the material re the calitopper. It isn't PVC, but just checking it is not a sealed material which does not breathe - I like the idea of breathability rather than sealing in humidity!

sounds like a cali topper!

We couldn't decide and eventually I bought a cali topper from comfortz. No regrets, easy to fit and remove, made a big difference to temperature inside, and noise levels.

The Thaiss one looks interesting. does it flap where the awnin gis - I have checked the video online and it seems to use velcro either side of the awning with nothing to attach where the awning is.

Also have checked the calitoper info and it is PVC backed.

+1 for Brandrup Isotop. Fit once and forget!! No storage problems at all because it lives permanently in the roof. No need to fit it every time you put the roof up and no need to put it away every time you put the roof down. Therefore no getting wet and no folding up a wet topper to store somewhere.

We like the topper because the roofcanvas is still dry after some rain at night. Great to leave a campsite with all canvas folded in dry. The isotop is inside the canvas, is this a disadvantage?

I've owned them all too - including the one that hasn't been mentioned a "pucer"! The hands down best for weather protection is the Mutze. But the reality is that there isn't much in it between the topper and a Mutze. Although the 'topper' is arguably easier to handle and on balance is the one I would choose.

Had a mutze for 9 years and it has had a lot of use. Still in excellent condition!

Well pleased with our calitopper , easily fitted, quality and fit both spot on. Easily stored in its own bag. Service is second to non from Nick and the team at Comfortz. I would definitely recommend them

Again great info - really appreciated. still querying if the PVC backed calitopper is breathable or whether it breathes by air moving around it....

also when it is chucking a sideways storm does water ingress along the edge into / onto the cali canvas?

I've also got the Thaiss version of Isotop (cheaper and good quality) and have to say I use it more than the outside topper. The reason is that I fit it when I'm already on bed upstairs, and beging feeling chilli (or frozen). It's very easy to un/install, so I just have it always handy.

I've used to use a lot the external one when I was a newbie, but one all fears are gone, I use it when it's particulary windy, rainy or it's very cold outside (snow)... and I prettt sure most of the times I could spare it.

@simba, it fits properly and the velcro (only in awning side) is strong enought. Thd only thing I've improved is because with the awning there is not much rail available to secure the top, being a little anoying when very windy. I'm using now some soecial pegs I've got in Clash Olson to secure it firmily.... not perfect yet, but good enougth.

It can be attached to the windscreen and windows protector to make the set more reliable.

@SimonB, mine one is a Cali Beach, so no front window, but you can order with it. Actually you can ask for an ad-hoc transparent windos in the roof if you have solar panels.

The material is very good, waterproof and breathable. Not sure whether it fit in thail gate, I think so, but need to try to say.

In general the quality is pretty good despite some design issues you can manage easily.

As any European product it have to have two years of warranty but, it's not made in UK (Assuming your Cali is German and you're browsing other German options, I guess that is not a MUST but a WHISH). The fabric I think is made by Dupont in UK.

@estresao Good point about the solar panel. Nick showed us one with the panel in the roof of the Calitopper when we were at the Lower Lode and when mine was made he put the panel into it.
I've not noticed a large degradation in the amount of solar generation due to the transparent panel, there is bound to be some, but another Forum member with a solar panel says that his still works quite acceptably.

@estresao Good point about the solar panel. Nick showed us one with the panel in the roof of the Calitopper when we were at the Lower Lode and when mine was made he put the panel into it.
I've not noticed a large degradation in the amount of solar generation due to the transparent panel, there is bound to be some, but another Forum member with a solar panel says that his still works quite acceptably.

If thats us you are referring to Simon then yes it does cut down the output a bit but still works OK. Something is better than nothing.

Where can i find info about this cheaper version of iso-top called thaiss?

If thats us you are referring to Simon then yes it does cut down the output a bit but still works OK. Something is better than nothing.
Thaiss' guy ask you about size and location of you solar panel to make the add-hoc windows fit properly. That's an extra and it's nor for free. Don't remember how much, but nor quite expensive.