Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calling all TSI Cali owners.... this forum needs you!

Hello, I don't think I'm going to add more than I have in replies to other threads, but we've had our Ocean TSI since November. I live in London and have used the van to travel to North Devon for Christmas, and then just coastal trips around Kent and Sussex. Currently done 1500 miles and averaged 25 mpg... from what people say, I wont expect more until on the long run in the summer through France for 2 weeks.

I don't tow (yet), so can't tell you how that is, but the engine is responsive and very quiet. Wheels spin a little on pull away if damp (and no I don't go mad) so learning how to manage that.

Heater works well with the petrol heater, and everything else is the same re interior of course !!!!!

So , so far loving the petrol and still glad I went for it. Of course, it's early days, but ive had a Golf R for over 3 years and absolutely love that 2.0l petrol engine !!! a little more tuned and turbo'd

Are the Mods able to add a TSI or TDI label to the avatars? It would be nice to see how many are around.

Are the Mods able to add a TSI or TDI label to the avatars? It would be nice to see how many are around.

As moderators we are not able to do so , these things needs to go via the administrators .
But as many not even bother to fill in the personal details or not update them when changing/getting the verhicle it would be no total reference....but worth concidering.
@Martin ?

Hello, I don't think I'm going to add more than I have in replies to other threads, but we've had our Ocean TSI since November. I live in London and have used the van to travel to North Devon for Christmas, and then just coastal trips around Kent and Sussex. Currently done 1500 miles and averaged 25 mpg... from what people say, I wont expect more until on the long run in the summer through France for 2 weeks.

I don't tow (yet), so can't tell you how that is, but the engine is responsive and very quiet. Wheels spin a little on pull away if damp (and no I don't go mad) so learning how to manage that.

Heater works well with the petrol heater, and everything else is the same re interior of course !!!!!

So , so far loving the petrol and still glad I went for it. Of course, it's early days, but ive had a Golf R for over 3 years and absolutely love that 2.0l petrol engine !!! a little more tuned and turbo'd

Thanks for that, yes I do seem to remember you posting before on this subject. I had an audi S3 and a golf Gti both with version of this engine, and my wife has a polo Gti which is the same again but from memory has a reduced stroke (1.8L). It's a really nice engine in the cars and gets pretty good economy for the performance on offer.

Tom

I can comment on the Petrol 150 Caravelle I had on load for 7 weeks.

In a nutshell, it was terrible ...!!!

I wouldn’t even think twice about one of these units.
Fuel consumption was outrageous. Struggled between 20-25mpg most of the time. This was an almost empty Caravelle.

Acceleration was harsh to get it going. Big thump of power, wheels spinning then at 3k rpm nothing. Flat.

Mid-range was so poor. To a point it almost seemed unsafe at times on the motorway. Just gutless, I was standing on the pedal waiting for the thing to get going.

The noise wasn’t great and can’t understand comments about a sportier sound. It’s a van...???
It didn’t sound sporty in my opinion. More like small rodents squealing for mercy.

Generally, wasn’t impressed one little bit.
I would tick the tdi box every single time. I’m not a fan of the latest diesel with adblu etc etc.
But my money would be in a diesel, no doubt whatsoever.

If you check the Co2 figures for the Petrol engines you will see why they are looking into this next.
Petrol is not the alternative IMO

I don’t see why a nice engine/exhaust noise is any less relavent in a van. No less valid than big wheels, lowered suspension etc.

Interesting point about the lack of mid range in the 150. In other applications, this engine is praised for exactly that. But pulling a 3 tonne Cali around is a different prospect to a golf.

So 2 real world experiences, 2 different views, but to be fair 2 ‘different’ engines.

For what it’s worth the peak power & torque figures of the 150 TSi are very similar to a T4 VR6 (12 valve version) and at similar rpm’s.
I’ve never found my old LWB T4 lacking in grunt even with a lazy 4 speed auto box, fuel consumption however is horrific.
It’s a shame the 150 TSi is not offered with DSG on a California, could help eek out a bit more mpg. There’s a lot to be said for a smooth, quiet petrol engine in a camper van and it would be my preference if buying new.

I don’t see why a nice engine/exhaust noise is any less relavent in a van. No less valid than big wheels, lowered suspension etc.

Interesting point about the lack of mid range in the 150. In other applications, this engine is praised for exactly that. But pulling a 3 tonne Cali around is a different prospect to a golf.

So 2 real world experiences, 2 different views, but to be fair 2 ‘different’ engines.

True, however one view is impartial.
Its a shame because i wanted the Petrol to be better. I would have seriously considered one as a replacement. But after living with one for 7 weeks, i couldn't wait to give it back...

For what it’s worth the peak power & torque figures of the 150 TSi are very similar to a T4 VR6 (12 valve version) and at similar rpm’s.
I’ve never found my old LWB T4 lacking in grunt even with a lazy 4 speed auto box, fuel consumption however is horrific.
It’s a shame the 150 TSi is not offered with DSG on a California, could help eek out a bit more mpg. There’s a lot to be said for a smooth, quiet petrol engine in a camper van and it would be my preference if buying new.

When i upgraded from a T5 2.5tdi 130bhp to a T5.1 2.0tdi 140bhp
The torque figures and fuel consumption stats were better on the T5.1

Lets me say here and now. Those figures have to be complete boll2ck...!!!
The old 5 pot T5 had way more grunt, it actually accelerated hard up steep inclines and tap the accelerator and it flew.
I own a 140 T5.1. It does not have anywhere near the same power or torque as the older T5.

Another bit of Volkswagen story telling to appeal to the masses, if you ask me.

The difference in torque between 150 TSI and 204 TSI is huge. 150 has 280 Nm and 204 has 350 Nm. Judged by the numbers the 204 TSI has a torque equivalent to 150 TDI, where the 150 TSI is close to the 102 TDI. This is probably the reason 150 TSI is not offered with DSG. At least in Denmark, 102 TDI is not available with DSG.
So to me it seems there is good reason behind the very different experiences. I have ordered the TSI because my driving pattern in day-to-day use matches a petrol better than diesel, and I believe it will work well even though it uses a lot of fuel. But it all depends on your individual needs and preferences.

I ordered the TSI 204 and are still waiting for delivery. But during my research I found this thread on a german forum: https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/vw-t6-multivan-tsi-150-ps-t6214422.html#commentlistJumpMarker
It is about the Multivan and the 150 hp engine, but I think it gives a reasonable perspective on the big variations in fuel consumption. Basically it will cost you to go petrol (about 3l more pr. 100 seems to be the most common experience), but if it fits your driving needs and you, like me, would like to avoid diesel bans in cities, it sounds like a very nice driving experience.
Regarding torque the TSI 204 has 350 NM, which is a bit more than the 150 TDI. So when it comes to towing, I would compare it more to the 150 TDI, than the 204 TDI. I do not tow anything very heavy, so I have not researched that very much.
I too would value any real world experience from TSI owners. It has been quite difficult to find much experience. The engine in TSI is an EA888, but apparently without some of the fuel saving additions used in some Audis. But I have not been able to find any technical information detailing which version of the EA888 is currently used in T6. So all knowledge regarding this could be interesting.

Attachments

• VW T6 2016.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 53
I have an AUDI A3 Quattro 150 HP. Our Cali 204 TSI has about the same power, and uses just slightly more petrol. As you all know, there are other major differences...

CO2 is important, but I am surprised that that the health hazards of particles and NO are not mentioned more often as incentives to get a petrol version. If you can afford a Cali, surely you can afford the petrol.

We all know that the ecological choice is to take the train...

The difference in torque between 150 TSI and 204 TSI is huge. 150 has 280 Nm and 204 has 350 Nm. Judged by the numbers the 204 TSI has a torque equivalent to 150 TDI, where the 150 TSI is close to the 102 TDI.

The peak figures don't tell the full storey though, its the distribution that matters, the diesels power peaks at about 3000rpm, which is where the petrols are just starting to get going. Looking at the output graphs It looks like you just need to give the petrols some revs, in the diesels you would be changing up at about 2000rpm, rev the petrol to 4000 and you would get similar performance. Not good for fuel consumption, but the power is there for when you need it.

Petrol & diesel engines just need driving with a different style.

Have only had my Beach TSI for a few weeks.

On just short of a full tank of fuel (80 litres) I did 370 miles. All the trips were between 1 and 12 miles and lots of hills. Driving speed is low (under 40mph) and I haven’t even made it to 5th gear yet. So not great economy but it was a bit cheaper anyway than diesel to start and there is no add blue costs.

Off to do a longer trip in May and August so might get more of an idea then about fuel economy then.

The drive itself is much smoother than previously driven diesels but I’m not best placed to comment on current diesels as the last diesels I have owned (a 97 and a 2005) drove, smoked and sounded more like a tractor. Recent diesels i hear drive superb and I would certainly buy one if my circumstances were different.

I never plan to Tow and to be honest I wouldn’t fancy it in this beach. Despite this the torque feels more than adequate for everyday use (on steep hills when loaded with people, bikes, kit, etc).

Hi,

I am due to pick up a TSI beach that was ordered late October in the next few days (it arrived at dealers last week and going to have a look tomorrow). I’m a mix of excitement and nerves.

As background, it will be an everyday drive (regular short distance at a low speed). I plan to do one holiday trip of about a thousand miles a year in Europe/UK. Probably about 7000 miles max a year in total. No towing will be done.

Not sure how comparible this will be to the norm but I presume quite different.

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice in other posts. Really useful site
Good choice for your intended use. Hope you have great times :thumb

In Belgium a 150 ps TSI is 2540 € cheaper than the 150 ps TDI version.

-->11 liter/100 km petrol + 1,269 €/liter = 0,1396 €/ km
--> 8,5 liter/100 km diesel + 1,249 €/liter = 0,1062 €/km
+ 1,0 liter/100 km Adblue + 1,5 €/liter = 0,0015 €/km

The total difference between TSI an TDI is 0,0319 €/km.

So, with my TSI I can do 2540 € : 0,0319 €/km = 79624 km before break even.
That's 4 years when I do 20.000 km/year.
By that time the dieselprice = petrolprice.

And I know: after 60.000 km I need 4 new sparkplugs (48 €)
but I don't have to change EGR or DPF in case of malfunction.

ps: 1 km = 0,62 mile
1 € = 0,88 £
1 liter = 1 liter

ps bis: it's clear that if you do 50.000 km or more/year long distance the TDI will be more economic.

.... correction: Adblue is 1,0 liter/1000 km...... = 0,0015 €/km

This is not going in the wright direction as the OP is asking petrol Cali owners for advice....
Most of the replies are diesel related witch we had in other topics:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...w-or-wait-until-june.18723/page-2#post-215292

I have put myself up at VW to testdrive a 204bhp DSG 4motion petrol version , but as there is no testcar availeble in Belgium according to VW i am without a clue how it drives .

I looked at the new tsi Californias here and they do not give you the chance to get a 4motion tsi.
Not that I would buy a new California at the moment I just looked to see how things were going.

I looked at the new tsi Californias here and they do not give you the chance to get a 4motion tsi.
Not that I would buy a new California at the moment I just looked to see how things were going.
Yes that was the only downside when we ordered our TSI... I haven’t missed it yet, although with the threat of 2 inches of snow in London, I may miss it ... ha ha

I bought my Cali last November and did the whole Petrol vs Diesel thing to decide which to go for. I went petrol and I can't complain.
I'm no mechanic and apart from the Van I'd rather ride a bike than drive, regardless of type of fuel, so I'm perhaps less critical of what an engine can or should do, but for what it's worth, here are my thoughts.

After discussions with people who do understand the differences (!) I learned that the power output is about the same with the new petrol engine. Diesel was being much maligned in the press about the time I was looking around and probably swayed me a little. I've never driven a diesel anything before but I'd certainly heard them, so that was probably a factor too. I was aware of the MPG difference and decided I could cope with that. The van is mainly for weekends away, long day trips and a couple of week-long summer holidays at the moment, although longer trips are definitely on the list when the kids are off hands. You save so much on accommodation when camping that spending a bit more on fuel is a fine trade off.
So experience since buying? - It does seem to be thirsty - there's no getting away from that. It drives smoothly around town and on the motorway and apart from hard acceleration (which I try to avoid) it isn't particularly noisy. It's done some sharp inclines in the Cotswolds and coped admirably, even fully laden with bikes on the back. I haven't done any serious hills yet though. The heater is quiet, not smelly and quickly effective.

So, a non-techy reply, but hopefully useful. Bottom line - I love driving it and I've never loved driving.

Now 2500 miles on the clock and after a weeks touring from Devon to the New Forest and making way back through Dorset, we’ve returned home at an average of 31.3 mpg.
204 TSI DSG.

I love my 204 tsi. Mpg around 28 in city. I drive it daily as well as for touring etc. It is easy to drive - not much in way of torque and you can avoid it to some extent with experience. It drives like a dream - accelerates beautifully - and fast if required - no excess noise etc. I had a large (from new) diesel car and there was more torque in that and acceleration not as good. I will do the math next time i fill up to check actual mpg in town and out.

Similar experience to the two posts above. 3500 miles on the clock (about 6 months of use). 2500 of those doing city type drives (low speed / stop start / short distance). About 30 mpg achieved. Not comparable but I also brought a vw up at the same time as the van and that achieves nearly double the mpg of the van (55 mpg).

In terms of the drive, I find it quiet and smooth with plenty of acceleration and power when loaded. I wouldn’t tow with it as I would imagine the reduced torque would be found out but as I say, normal load it is not noticeable.

Beach 150 manual TSI.

Maybe this is a question for another post but does anyone know any specific reason petrol has been discontinued? Is it the CO2 was too high for new targets?

Factual responses only would be appreciated. I know some just don’t like petrol vans for various reasons / personal situations (for the record I have no issue with diesels) but I’m not really interested in specific use and preference arguments such as fuel costs or torque or sound but more why it made business sense for VW to discontinue as I presume it is about money?