Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Calling all TSI Cali owners.... this forum needs you!

Similar experience to the two posts above. 3500 miles on the clock (about 6 months of use). 2500 of those doing city type drives (low speed / stop start / short distance). About 30 mpg achieved. Not comparable but I also brought a vw up at the same time as the van and that achieves nearly double the mpg of the van (55 mpg).

In terms of the drive, I find it quiet and smooth with plenty of acceleration and power when loaded. I wouldn’t tow with it as I would imagine the reduced torque would be found out but as I say, normal load it is not noticeable.

Beach 150 manual TSI.

Maybe this is a question for another post but does anyone know any specific reason petrol has been discontinued? Is it the CO2 was too high for new targets?

Factual responses only would be appreciated. I know some just don’t like petrol vans for various reasons / personal situations (for the record I have no issue with diesels) but I’m not really interested in specific use and preference arguments such as fuel costs or torque or sound but more why it made business sense for VW to discontinue as I presume it is about money?
Probably the fact that TSI sales were poor compared to the Diesel. Californias are a niche market compared to Commercial vans overall.

Probably the fact that TSI sales were poor compared to the Diesel. Californias are a niche market compared to Commercial vans overall.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I presume it is to do with profit. Just seems that having started the petrol build process (presumably after some market research) they only then gave it a short period of time to get going.

I wonder how many sold and what percentage of sales for that period it was.

My experience on the first 2.164 km (1345 miles) is an average of 24.7 MPG, low is 21.8, high is 27.5.
It is a 204 TSI DSG. Short runs are really expensive, while motorway at constant 70 miles/h returns the 27.5 MPG. It is as I expected based on what I could read and adjusted for my not so economic way of driving. Excellent ride, no lack of torque. I like it better than the 204 TDI DSG I rented before buying this one, but I do not tow anything heavy.

The peak figures don't tell the full storey though, its the distribution that matters, the diesels power peaks at about 3000rpm, which is where the petrols are just starting to get going. Looking at the output graphs It looks like you just need to give the petrols some revs, in the diesels you would be changing up at about 2000rpm, rev the petrol to 4000 and you would get similar performance. Not good for fuel consumption, but the power is there for when you need it.

Petrol & diesel engines just need driving with a different style.

California 150 TSI torque 280 at 1,500-3,750 / 204 TSI 350 at 1,500-4,000 / 2.0l TDI 150 340 at 1,500-3,000

204 TDI 450 at 1,400-2,400

So no need to rev the petrol to 4000 rpm, than it becomes a GTI :)