Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cam belt and water pump,

I’ve had two emails from my local VW commercials place telling me I need a new cam belt.

18000 miles and 18 months old.

I think not.

I’ve had two emails from my local VW commercials place telling me I need a new cam belt.

I think not.
In my opinion that crosses the line from cash cow into fraud, unless it's a recall and they're doing it under warranty.

I think not.
This may be related to a recall on cambelts for T6’s. There were a few that were replaced (for free) as part of the recall. Maybe check the letter and see if yours is affected? If it’s a change (paid for by customer) at 18months, then I agree with you.

@Jim2007

@Jim2007
Mine was replaced under warranty by Breeze, 13000 miles, 2.5 years old. There was an advisory from VW

Mine was replaced under warranty by Breeze, 13000 miles, 2.5 years old. There was an advisory from VW

That got me thinking so I dug out the email (subject: "Time to look at your cambelt".

You’ve got enough to think about. Let us worry about your cambelt.

If your cambelt is worn or approaching the end of its service life, your engine can suffer serious damage. And no one knows their way around your engine like Volkswagen-trained technicians.

They have the experience and technical know-how to carefully strip down the engine’s relevant parts and, if necessary, renew the cambelt and cambelt tensioner. We’ll then road test your vehicle to make sure your engine is running smoothly, leaving you to think about other things.

Sales pitch I think. No mention of recall or advisory. They had it for first service at 15000 miles. Next one will be at Breeze I think.

That got me thinking so I dug out the email (subject: "Time to look at your cambelt".

If your cambelt is worn or approaching the end of its service life, your engine can suffer serious damage. And no one knows their way around your engine like Volkswagen-trained technicians.

They have the experience and technical know-how to carefully strip down the engine’s relevant parts and, if necessary, renew the cambelt and cambelt tensioner. We’ll then road test your vehicle to make sure your engine is running smoothly, leaving you to think about other things.

Sales pitch I think. No mention of recall or advisory. They had it for first service at 15000 miles. Next one will be at Breeze I think.
Wow, I was really hoping it was the recall...

Wow, I was really hoping it was the recall...

I will ring them in the morning and check once and for all. Thanks for pointing out there has been a recall that may affect ours. I've always imagined something like that would come in the post from VW UK.

Shameful.

I've had three VAG vehicles with the same base engine, and the same part number cam belt. They had different service intervals for the cam belt as per the manual.
Skoda Octavia 140 bhp change at 4 years.
Skoda Yeti 170 bhp change at 5 years
VW Cali 180 bhp change at 210,000 km

Spoken with the van centre: no recalls or advisories on our vehicle.

Spoken with the van centre: no recalls or advisories on our vehicle.
Probably just a sales promotion sent to everybody on their email list. Can't really blame them.

Probably just a sales promotion sent to everybody on their email list. Can't really blame them.

Yes, could well be, and that was my initial reaction, and why I ignored it. But they don't help themselves when they start the email with your vehicle's registration number, implying it's specific to your van.

Yes, could well be, and that was my initial reaction, and why I ignored it. But they don't help themselves when they start the email with your vehicle's registration number, implying it's specific to your van.
All marketing from a mailing list of customers and designed to make it seem personal. I hate the ones that start Dear ( first name) .   :headbang:headbang
I'm not their friend, I'm a customer.

My Cali was in for its first service a few weeks ago, it was a while you wait service. (2 hours)

I decided to get Mrs Perfectos to pick me up and go for a walk in the countryside, after about an hour after dropping the vehicle off, I had a call from the service dept, “your van is due an air con service”,
Me: “is it free ?” ( having read the posts on this forum)
Dealer: “No”
Me “ No thanks”
Me “ when will the van be ready to collect”
Dealer “ I’ll just go and check”
Me “ forgot to say, don’t wash the van”
Dealer: “ that will speed things up” !
Dealer goes away from the phone, comes back, “you can collect the van in 15minutes”

Today I get a text from the dealer

“There is outstanding work due on your vehicle, book on line or reply yes and we will call you”

This is the new normal, what can possibly need doing that they did not do during its pre-arranged service, apart from the air con service which I declined !

It’s all about the sell of services and scare tactics

Edit: called dealer, who has no record of outstanding work ! “ your vehicle was only serviced recently, probably just catching up after shut down”

Whilst I was on the phone, I asked why my add blue range used to be 6500 miles, now it is 3500 miles (after courtesy fill by dealer during service)
Apparently they put 10 litres in despite add blue range being 2500 when it went in!
I queried this and stated either add blue was not 10 litre fill or the software update has been applied?

Going back to dealer to have the add blue sensor calibrated to “full” as the dealer is adamant they have not applied the VW software update relating to Add Blue ( I have this in writing).

The Master Cali tech said the range should be around 5k miles after a fill, (which is my experience)

Anyway the point of the post is the confusion created by the dealers in their communications both written and verbal

Last edited:
Today I get a text from the dealer

“There is outstanding work due on your vehicle, book on line or reply yes and we will call you”

This is the new normal, what can possibly need doing that they did not do during its pre-arranged service, apart from the air con service which I declined !

It’s all about the sell of services and scare tactics
Maybe its on the Gates Cambelt vin range?
Has it had the adblue update?

I had mine done after 4 years and 19000 miles..No need to take it to VW and pay a fortune..I had mine done at a good local garage for £325 for everything.Waterpump cambelt all rollers and ancillary belt..All top quality parts and full guarantee.
16,000 miles! I never understand time or mileage. What has time got to do with it? Surely it should be based on mileage, ie use. Imagine you bought a brand new vehicle then stored it for four years - new cambelt?

Prior to my Caravelle, I have had two VW Tourans - a 54-plate and a 09-plate - both bought new so I took out VW’s own 4-year service and maintenance plan.

At the 54-plate service just inside four years, VW instructed the local VW service dept to change the cam belt before carrying out the MoT.

At the 09-plate service just inside four years, VW Finance, who control the plan, refused to allow the service dept to change the cambelt.
I spoke to VW Finance, who used the German service schedule to support their refusal. I said that I was dealing with VW UK, and not Germany, and insisted that the specified UK procedure be followed.
I also pointed out that for the 59-plate Touran (identical spec), the VW UK service schedule stated 5-years for the cambelt change, and asked them to explain how the later plate vehicle knew it could go a further 12 months without risk. I think by this time the Finance dept agent was getting a bit flustered, and I had also contacted Milton Keynes Customer Services, where an internal differing of opinion occurred between the two departments.
But I was told to take the vehicle back for the work to be done without charge.

After the fourth year I moved to the local VW service plan and with the 09-plate stuck rigidly to the 4-year cambelt change. Because this time period is laid down in the manufacturer’s specification, should the belt fail under the four years there is a much better chance of getting a F.O.C repair on the basis of substandard materials.
The 2017 Caravelle was 14 months old when I bought it, and it will be subjected to its specified time for change in the same way as for my previous Tourans.

16,000 miles! I never understand time or mileage. What has time got to do with it? Surely it should be based on mileage, ie use. Imagine you bought a brand new vehicle then stored it for four years - new cambelt?
Quite possibly, and maybe tyres, brake/clutch fluid and many other items that deteriorate over time.
People/companies who invest in expensive super cars don’t just drive them into a garage and leave them. It’s an expensive business.

Just thought I’d add these pics for everyone to see. We had our van serviced at our friendly local garage this week, annual oil change service, all disks and pads front and back and we had the cam belt and water pump done. It was 4 years and 25k miles since the belt was last done. Total bill a very reasonable £865. I asked them to save the belt, water pump and pulleys etc so I could inspect them so they boxed them all up and left them in the van for me. The belt shows no signs of wear or ageing whatsoever, having thoroughly inspected it I’d say it was easily good for another 4 years and 25k miles. I don’t think it will be done again in 4 years, think I’d leave it at least 6 and potentially 8. Seeing this confirms my feelings that the 4 year thing is simply a cash cow for VWUK. I’m not trying to influence anyone else these are just my thoughts. Anyway take a look at the pics and see what you think.78596C1B-8A1F-48E3-A41E-157A818BBE16.jpeg503D1A88-F7DC-4077-BE7B-F4691D5D40D9.jpegF9CD2D41-97D9-41AC-80F1-52535DC4749D.jpeg73BBA32A-CE0E-4931-AECE-930CCA1DCF68.jpeg6DDB31AE-FEEF-4668-B5A7-197E870FB15A.jpeg78596C1B-8A1F-48E3-A41E-157A818BBE16.jpeg

Just thought I’d add these pics for everyone to see. We had our van serviced at our friendly local garage this week, annual oil change service, all disks and pads front and back and we had the cam belt and water pump done. It was 4 years and 25k miles since the belt was last done. Total bill a very reasonable £865. I asked them to save the belt, water pump and pulleys etc so I could inspect them so they boxed them all up and left them in the van for me. The belt shows no signs of wear or ageing whatsoever, having thoroughly inspected it I’d say it was easily good for another 4 years and 25k miles. I don’t think it will be done again in 4 years, think I’d leave it at least 6 and potentially 8. Seeing this confirms my feelings that the 4 year thing is simply a cash cow for VWUK. I’m not trying to influence anyone else these are just my thoughts. Anyway take a look at the pics and see what you think.View attachment 61245View attachment 61246View attachment 61247View attachment 61248View attachment 61249View attachment 61245
Maybe a better sleep but a waste of money!

Mines 4 years old. No warranty. 23k miles. Am I having mine done? No. I may as well set fire to 500 quid just to say I'd done it. And when I do get it done will it be vw dealer? You all know the answer. My golf tdi is on 156k on the same belt. Cars not worth the cost to change it. 04 plate. Still going strong.