Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cam belt and water pump,

16,000 miles! I never understand time or mileage. What has time got to do with it? Surely it should be based on mileage, ie use. Imagine you bought a brand new vehicle then stored it for four years - new cambelt?
Engine not ran will have the cambelt in one position around various pulleys causing fatigue/strain on fixed areas. Similar issue as parked up vehicle has with tyres not turning cracking on sidewalls.

An Audi cambelt that I changed looked perfect when on the engine but when removed and turned inside out every tooth had cracks on each side into the main belt body. Approx 65,000 mls.

Just thought I’d add these pics for everyone to see. We had our van serviced at our friendly local garage this week, annual oil change service, all disks and pads front and back and we had the cam belt and water pump done. It was 4 years and 25k miles since the belt was last done. Total bill a very reasonable £865. I asked them to save the belt, water pump and pulleys etc so I could inspect them so they boxed them all up and left them in the van for me. The belt shows no signs of wear or ageing whatsoever, having thoroughly inspected it I’d say it was easily good for another 4 years and 25k miles. I don’t think it will be done again in 4 years, think I’d leave it at least 6 and potentially 8. Seeing this confirms my feelings that the 4 year thing is simply a cash cow for VWUK. I’m not trying to influence anyone else these are just my thoughts. Anyway take a look at the pics and see what you think.View attachment 61245View attachment 61246View attachment 61247View attachment 61248View attachment 61249View attachment 61245
I must say my cambelt looks worse (same old, same old: 145000 km, nearly 11 years old).

Not again. There are too many threads about this already.
UK says 4 years or something miles.
Other countries is about 210000km without time.
Mine is on 145000 km and over 10 years.
What does your service booklet say?

Do as you please.

Sorry if this comes over as quite rude, but you can use the search function on this forum.
Click the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.
If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all. We were all new to this at one stage.

Posted before but not for a while.

In addition to the methods on site you can do site specific sites in a search engine.

Just put the below into your web browser and save it as a link.

site:vwcaliforniaclub.com

Then just click on it and add the term you are looking for. In this case:-

site:vwcaliforniaclub.com cam belt

Mike

Steady on. @TripleBee did end with - Sorry if this comes over as quite rude-

Yes it might appear rude for some people but there surely is no malice intended.
He is a top poster and anything he can help with, then he will.

I think it has got lost in translation, the intent wasn't there.
He’s always quick to reply and very helpful, he’s most often spot on, if your sensitive to a direct answer DYOR first before posting and accept the answer for the content that is provided, with out misinterpretation of the intent.

A question is a question regardless of how it’s written the important thing is you get the correct answer, come on guys we’re all feeling lock down itch.

If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all. We were all new to this at one stage.
Well said...
There are some Forum Members who’s first language is not a English and yet they take the time to answer questions that are repeated over and over again by new members who then get upset when someone points out that there is a ”Search” function.
When it comes to technical/mechanical matters a Search would find the answer 99.9% of the time.
The poster in question apologised beforehand in case anyone was offended.
Well, I‘m afraid I will not be apologising for my comments if they upset anyone.

ps: and it’s got nothing to do with Lockdown.

This is the first time I ever seen negativity on this forum. When you ask a question its great to know that even if its a silly question been asked a hundred times before that someone will take the time and patience and answer it. Is it not easier to answer, guide and support than get annoyed. Sorry but I like many others may ask a question that has been asked and want to know that will be ok. Thank you and excuse me having my say on this. All enjoy your Calis when we can get back out again. Take care.

Consideration is any warranty you have on the vehicle.

Many extended warranty contracts will require that the vehicle is maintained in accordance with manufacturers guidelines.
Extended warranties not worth the paper they are written on... just get bitten a few times and people wouldnt take them out.... humbug...

Just thought I’d add these pics for everyone to see. We had our van serviced at our friendly local garage this week, annual oil change service, all disks and pads front and back and we had the cam belt and water pump done. It was 4 years and 25k miles since the belt was last done. Total bill a very reasonable £865. I asked them to save the belt, water pump and pulleys etc so I could inspect them so they boxed them all up and left them in the van for me. The belt shows no signs of wear or ageing whatsoever, having thoroughly inspected it I’d say it was easily good for another 4 years and 25k miles. I don’t think it will be done again in 4 years, think I’d leave it at least 6 and potentially 8. Seeing this confirms my feelings that the 4 year thing is simply a cash cow for VWUK. I’m not trying to influence anyone else these are just my thoughts. Anyway take a look at the pics and see what you think.View attachment 61245View attachment 61246View attachment 61247View attachment 61248View attachment 61249View attachment 61245
I asked the garage that changed my cam belt and water pump to keep them for me to check..Same thing 18000 miles and 4 years. Couldn’t see any signs of wear on any of the belts or waterpump and rollers..Cost me £325 .